Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Deep Shadow (Doc Ford)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 9, 2010
I am a long time fan of the Doc Ford series by Randy Wayne White. Unfortunately, the last time I caught sight of him was in "Dark Light". Although not the typical Doc Ford tale, it was none the less interesting and showed a fasinating side of Doc and some of the Dinkin's Bay residents. "Hunter's Moon" was somewhat entertaining, but totally and completely implausible. Moreover, it seemed some flat, vacant secret agent man had replaced Doc, turning the whole book into a never ending action sequence with an ending too far-fetched and lame for words. "Black Widow" was so lacking in a cohesive plot I could not finish the book. A first for me with a RWW book.

When I read the synopsis for "Dead Silence" I believed that the Doc Ford I knew and loved had left the series for good. I saved my money and time, and began looking for another series that was as thoughtful and entertaining as the Doc Ford series had been. No such series existed.

I am thrilled to report that Doc Ford has returned to the series with this new installment. It has everything I loved about the earlier books and some interesting information on the so called bottomless lakes,underground rivers and sink-holes which are present in Florida. Add to that the discovery of an aircraft which departed Cuba and disappeared between Key West and Tampa and you have the beginning of a return to form for Doc.
22 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2010
First,let me say that I am a big Randy Wayne White fan. I eagerly wait for his next book to come
out. However I found this on lacking. It was a good yarn but not much of a story. Centering
about Doc Ford, his Friend Tomlinson, a lake in the middle of florida, A creature from the black
lagoon that wanted to eat them and a couple of bad guys with an IQ of 80 between themselves.
RWW seemed to fill in a lot of pauses in action with bacground history about the characters that
was not necessary and long before the book ended I knew what the outcome would be. No surprises
in this book. I hope your next book is a better one Randy
on June 12, 2010
Having been a fan of the Doc Ford series for years, I was excited to get my hands on the latest installment. I was greatly disappointed by the time I was four chapters in, and the disappointment continues throughout the book. The vast majority of the story takes place along the shore or beneath the surface of a sink hole lake somewhere near Orlando. Unfortunately, this book lacks the character development of both antagonists and protagonists that one has come to expect from Randy Wayne White. White, who is known for his vivid and captivating descriptions of the Florida lifestyle, culture, and locations, simply falls flat in this book. Well over two thirds of the book take place along a linear timeline in and around the lake. What is even more surprising is that White spends a tedious amount of time trying to establish the dire straits that his friends Tomlinson and Will are in when trapped by an underwater landslide and then seems to forget that sense of urgency ( they only have 15 minutes worth of air lefft )over the next several CHAPTERS. The book lacks the character development, story line, or use of the qualities of Doc Ford that once made these books a "first buy". Bottom line for this story... this book does not fit into the Doc Ford series, and if you are a fan.. wait for this one to come out on the sale rack!!
on January 26, 2016
If you have been reading Doc Ford novels for awhile, this book is EXCELLENT. White has many exciting elements to this plot. Plus, he tells the story from the viewpoint of various characters which I don't remember him doing before, at least not recently. Ford, Tomlinson and friends are diving an inland Florida lake searching for lost gold when they are unexpectedly joined by many evil entities, human, animal and spiritual. If you have never read a Doc Ford book, jump right in for a great read. Then you can go back to the beginning and catch up on his non-heroic deeds that are so heroic. If you live in Florida or have enjoyed a visit to the Sunshine state, this book (and the entire series) is for you. White's research is excellent and the reader learns a lot reading his novels. Loved this book; couldn't put it down. Hope you do too!
on September 13, 2010
I have loved most of his books and awaited the new ones with impatience. It seems that he was more interested in filling pages in this book and has not created the excitement and overwhelming interest that was in his previous ones. Many many superfluous paragraphs that made me just skim through them, many pages. How many of us are really that interested in the minute details of diving? Maybe he just needs a long vacation. I cannot recommend this latest offer to anyone.
on March 20, 2015
I've been a Doc Ford fan since I first read The Heat Islands several years ago. I've also been to Sanibel and Captiva, so I know the setting and while I read of many sites and places I've seen there, you would not need to be familiar with these places to enjoy any Doc Ford books.
Enough of a commercial for Randy Wayne White . . .
This is be far the tightest written and most suspenseful of the series! You really care not only about Doc Ford and his ever-present buddy Tomilson, but also Captain Futch and William Joseph Chaser. You really want these characters to . . . OOPS! almost gave too much away.
Let's just say I got so caught up in the book that I stayed up until after 3 am to finish it!
on April 27, 2010
I lived in Pine Island and love reading all the Doc Ford novels- went out and got this for my uncle but read it first- boring!! It just dragged- I actually skimmed through most of the book- it seems that Randy Wayne is just pumping them out now- I love reading about the islands as he describes, the unique individuals- but please- an adolescent Indian boy from OK who was in foster care- where did he learn to dive???? The Nile Monitor has been a big story in Cape Coral and the west coast- but this was almost too easy for White. PLEASE- take a break if the flow isn't there- get back to the drinks, boats, sunsets and undercover work!
on April 18, 2013
I got hooked on this audio book while listening to Serious XM Book Radio and had to buy it on Amazon to find out what happened! Randy Wayne White tells an intense story about what happens when a shallow afternoon SCUBA dive in a swampy and remote Florida lake goes terribly wrong. An eclectic group of four men (actually 3 men and a troubled teenage boy) are hoping to salvage an old plane wreck that one of the men believes was carrying gold coins and other valuables when it crashed.

The "easy afternoon dive" turns bad when an underwater limestone ledge collapses, trapping one of the men and the boy underwater with limited air supplies -- but then things get much worse. Two ruthless convicts, on the run after a botched robbery that ended in the murders of five innocent people, stumble upon the dive site and beat-up the old man who had remained topside with the truck & salvage equipment. With the two trapped divers running out of air, time is of the essence, but the convicts don't care about anything except the potential gold that might be recovered from the plane wreck. As if this wasn't enough danger to contend with, when night falls, they discover creatures inhabit the swamp and lake-- huge creatures who don't care if the men are good guys or bag guys (they all taste the same.)

White moves back and forth, masterfully telling the story from various points of view; which allowed me to get to know each character and effectively experience what was happening through his eyes. This believable story (which takes place in a single day) is gripping from beginning to end. I will absolutely listen to this audio book again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to everyone, with the possible exception of those who currently enjoy SCUBA diving in Florida!
on January 10, 2014
As a long-time John D. McDonald fan, I was pleased to discover the Doc Ford series written by Randy Wayne White. To me Doc Ford has become my new Travis McGee. I am slowly reading my way down the list of books in this series and I found Deep Shadow to be one of the best so far. This book is a bit different from others in the series in that most of the book takes place in one day and in one location. But there is so much taking place that your mind tries to anticipate the outcome of several scenarios all taking place in parallel. There is so much suspense that I found it hard to put this one down. As with John D. McDonald, Mr. White intertwines his knowledge of Florida geography, history and geology into the story extremely effectively, adding credibility and realism. I really enjoyed this book!
on July 21, 2010
First things first...I have never rated a book in my life. The reason I am writing this review is because this happens to be the worst book I have read in recent memory...and believe me...I had to suck-it-up to finish it. I have read practically all of Randy Wayne White's Marion "Doc" Ford novels (I live in Naples, Fl. and frequently ride my motorcycle to Sanibel Island) and this one is just a real stinkeroo. He obviously is obsessed with scuba diving and he goes into mind-numbing detail about something that 99% of the adult population could care less about. Next, the characters seem non-authentic...Ford, Arlis, Tomlinson and Will. Heck, I was rooting for the protagonists King and Perry...or the Komoto monitor lizards to kill Ford just to get the book over just half way through it. The freaking plot has more holes in it than the underwater limestone caves that White bores me to death about. My strong suggestion is for Randy to go back to Cuba and begin to "polish" his writing skills all over again. I might suggest his starting in Havana at El Abije bar and restaurant for a Partagas Serie D #1 cigar (from La Casa del Habanos which he will find next door), while knocking down a few Havana Club ocho anos Cuban rums and invite his alter-ego Tomlinson to join him in a strategy session on how to be a compelling novelist again. Oh, and the pulled pork there is the best in all of Cuba.