Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop now TG18PP_gno

VINE VOICEon April 13, 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
I've been a fan of Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas books since the first one was released, many years ago. While I find most of Mr. Koontz's other fiction very hit or miss (mostly miss this past decade), the Odd Thomas books are consistently interesting, witty and captivating. Odd Thomas (someone left the T off of Todd on his birth certificate), or Oddie, as he his known to his friends and fans, is an ex-fry cook. He makes the world's best, fluffiest pancakes. He also sees ghosts. They do not speak, but gesture to him and pantomime, to get their points across almost always that something bad is coming, and trying to help out. In the first few books his ex-vivo silent companion was Elvis, followed for a bit by Frank Sinatra. Currently he is haunted by Alfred Hitchcock.

Oddie also has a kind of psychic magnetism that draws him inexorably towards places that he needs to be. These always have to do with stopping a person or persons from committing acts that could or will result in mass death and/or destruction. It seems that Oddie's mission in life is to prevent as much of this mayhem as he can, until a stray bullet, explosion or knife in the back catches him and reunites him with his ("You are destined to be together forever") beloved Stormy Llewellyn . There's a lot more more to Odd's back story, but you can glean much of it from this novel, that refers back to many or most of the previous books. "Deeply Odd", like all of the Odd Thomas books, can be read as a stand-alone, but I recommend going back at some point and reading them all. All of them are little gems and the references to previous events will be clearer and the enjoyment of this newest entry, "Deeply Odd", that much the greater.

Near the beginning of the novel, Odd runs into a white-haired nasty cowboy driving a ProStar+ rig, both of which emanate terrible evil. A waking daydream or vision convinces Odd that trucker intends or is somehow linked to the mass death by fire of a large number of young children. Fleeing from the trucker's threat to de-man him with a gun, Oddie meets up with octogenarian, Edie Fisher, who is driving a black Mercedes stretch limo. Seems her long-time driver has just died and Edie is in need of a replacement that she instantly identifies as Oddie. ("I'm a fry cook, Mrs. Fisher, not a chauffeur.") But Mrs. Fisher ("Call me Edie. Yes Ma'am".) is much more than she seems to be, and "hires" Oddie (over his protestations) as her driver (while still driving the limo herself). Mrs. Fisher becomes Oddie's' partner in his mission to find and stop the evil cowboy to stop him before he kills the children. Along the way things become way strange, venturing into a parallel universe (or is it?) and Odd finds, for the first time, someone with abilities similar to his own.

In Deeply Odd, Oddie takes center stage sans all of his friends and companions from previous novels (having left Annamaria back at the ranch when he went for a short trip into town to buy some jeans whereupon all of this adventure started). But Mrs. Fisher is a great new character, and a fine foil for the witty banter that Odd Thomans fans have come to love expect. We meet a few of Edie's friends (she seems to know just about everyone all over the place) who are uniformly extremely helpful and all of whom love her very much. Odd's internal commentary (all of the books are purported to be his memoirs, not to be published until he is dead) is also funny, with many of his similes and metaphors apt to make the reader laugh out loud.

The ending (actually I think it would have worked better as a Coda or an Epilogue) is a little too fantastic, incomprehensible and happily ever after, but that is a rather small quibble. Finally, at the end, this reader was left feeling that Odd Thomas's adventures that began only 19 months (and 6 novels) ago in Pico Mundo, CA, may be drawing to a close, and he may be coming closer to his reunion with Stormy. This is only a impression, but it is one that has lasted for the week since I finished the novel.

Another must read for all Odd Thomas fans, but also a reasonable place to start if you like interesting characters, horror leavened with humor, and light fantasy of a unique sort.

Highly recommended.

J.M. Tepper
on December 16, 2017
I first came across Mr Koontz's novels more than 26 years ago, beginning (I think) with Twilight. I was hooked, and voraciously devoured a dozen or so of what I later considered to be his best works. Sadly, though, they seemed to become predictable, pulpish even, and so I began to lose interest.
Recently I caught the end of the movie version of Odd Thomas, and I found it intriguing, sad ending and all (I should mention that a sad ending generally just leaves me pissed at whichever author inflicted it on me). So I decided to give this series a shot, and though it started interesting enough, I have to admit I still had concerns that the appeal of his earlier works would remain lost to me. Happily that has not been the case here. Though it seems to have meandered a bit here and there, this series does not disappoint, with each book delivering just a bit more than the last, until I find myself once again in a race to the finish. I trust Mr Koontz will not disappoint.
on September 15, 2017
Dean Koontz was one of my favorite authors many years ago, and I still look forward to his books, although some of his later ones have been disappointing. This is the first Odd Thomas book I have read. It started off great, but then around chapter 13 or so, it just dragged on. Several chapters could be omitted and not lose anything from the story. So I continued slogging through in fits and spurts, actually dozing off a few times. I may say that when I finished the book, I had a real sense of accomplishment. It would have been a much better read by cutting out the chafe.
on August 25, 2014
I almost didn't review this, having already made up my mind that I would read this book off the record since all my reviews of the prior books were beginning to sound the same. In my last review, I finally had to confess my overall displeasure of the series as a whole and decided that it would be hard to give an unbiased review on it. With that said, I had been under the impression that this was going to be the last book in the series and decided that since I read the others that came before it, I might as well have seen it through to the end.

Not so, apparently. Odd's job is far from complete as it turns out, both by the way this one ended and by way of the advertising of the true last installment in the series entitled Saint Odd. So what made me change my mind to review this after all? I'll tell you.

I'll start of by saying that a lot of things stayed the same in this book as in the others - things that I found no favor with in my other reviews. For instance, I still can't stand the elusive qualities of every person he meets. I hate the way everyone talks in riddles, further obscuring their characters and their whole reason for even being there to assist Odd in the first place. The ridiculous dialogue in all of the Odd Thomas books almost serve as fillers to prolong an already vague plot.

There's a certain blindness to Odd's actions that in a lot of ways mystifies and builds a flat anticipation of discovery. But a lot of times what Odd discovers just lead to more mysteries and before you know it, you're already more than halfway finished with the book and still don't know what the hell is really going on. However, the last thirty percent of this book was the ultimate game changer for the series that for me just wasn't cutting the mustard for me anymore.

This is the part where I give the disclaimer about giving spoiler-free reviews. So I apologize in advance to those of you reading this who prefers a more synopsis type review where the reviewer all but gives you the vivid details about the fancy clothes the villain was wearing - in short, those who tell you the whole damn story. I have stopped reading reviews altogether before wanting to read a book now because more than once I've had my choice taken from me by bitter reviewers who seem to think their opinions are the only one that count in that if they don't like a book, no one else is supposed to like it either and, thus, hold no qualm about spoiling it for other readers who dare to want to read it anyway.

With that said, I'm obviously not the biggest fan of this series, but I have enough respect for other people who are and their choices to be fans. For that reason, I obviously can't give away the pivotal moment that really changes things in Odd's universe, but if you think about it, it really isn't that big of a surprise. However, if you're coming to this book for the first time, you'll find the changes in Odd's character to be fitting of the circumstances, while people who have been following him from the debut four or five books ago are probably going to be more disturbed by it.

He is packing more heat than ever in this and with reason. The burden on him is heavier than perhaps maybe the book before it where he had to thwart a nuclear terrorist threat. In theory, the threat had been on a much larger scale, but the evil forces at work in this story went beyond ethereal, where even though not all of them could be seen, they would be felt in the most bloodiest and excruciating way - a price meant for innocent children, a horrific ideal all by itself.

Odd has since reached his crossroads and while he's still uncertain what lies ahead, he is now becoming certain that everything he's been through up until then has been leading him back to the beginning where everything started for him back in Pico Mundo. The info for the next and, hopefully, last book says as much. I'm pretty certain the man who greets the people who have been waiting for him will see that Odd is not the gun-shy man he was when he left. He has taken a disliking to the new man he has become himself, but yet understands that this is what must be done. He is a new Odd - maybe not completely hardened, but still a far cry from being "just a fry cook."

This new Odd had rekindled my interest in the series again (which is pretty late given this is purported to be the next to last book) and for that reason I might have given it four stars initially, but the gamechanger for me still came too late in the book for me. I still had to get through too much of the boring stuff before my interest peaked.
on September 23, 2013
I have always enjoyed Dean Koontz more than any other writer of modern horror, bar none. In addition to his ability to scare the bejeebers out of me, he always writes with compassion, and with a great respect and love for the women in his stories. It never fails to convince me that Koontz is a man who actually understands both love and grace. The entire Odd Thomas series is a perfect example of this, and Oddie is one of the most admirable and memorable characters I've ever enjoyed spending time with. He's caring, kind, thoughtful, loyal, and devastatingly funny. And he knows what it is to commit to someone with your whole heart, for all eternity, and beyond the boundaries of this world. Because of this, he is on a mission that even he, so far, doesn't fully understand.

As readers, we are along on the mission with him, and are watching over his shoulder as he encounters evils of every sort. He's flawed (but not nearly as much as he thinks he is), and makes mistakes (but not nearly as many as he blames himself for), and he's often scared witless by the things he encounters. But he perseveres, regardless of where his path takes him, and it is very apparent in "Deeply Odd" that he will be reaching the end of his journey, soon. We will have to say goodbye to Pico Mundo's favorite fry cook, and it will be a bittersweet parting, I'm sure. But it will be what he has been moving toward since that first wonderful and surprising book, "Odd Thomas." Any reader paying even a modicum of attention to date will have a pretty good idea of where this is heading. I'm certain Koontz will throw in some unexpected twists, but I'm counting on him being sure that Oddie's deepest dream is realized.

"Deeply Odd" was not my favorite book of the series, I have to admit, due in large part to there being an awful lot of rambling through the complexities of Oddie's mind. Now, he's an introspective guy, our remarkable fry cook, and he often has long, wandering thoughts, filled with observations both profound and hilarious. It just seemed like there were a lot more of those than usual this time around, and I felt it slowed the book down a bit. But it in no way decreased my pleasure, overall, nor my thoughts of how wonderful it would be to know someone like Odd Thomas. He touches my heart.

For me, the book is still a solid 4, faults and all, and much of that is due to the introduction of some new and interesting characters, and the hints of what may come in the next book, which I have heard will be the final one. I'm looking forward to it, even if it means the series is over. Oddie has traveled a long way on his journey, and it's time for him to get his reward. The world will be a sadder place without him, but a better place for those of us who have grown to love him. If we take away a bit of who Odd Thomas is in our hearts, perhaps we will each be blessed with a little more love and grace, ourselves.
on June 13, 2017
As with the other Odd Thomas books this one includes a of potpourri of elements including the occult, supernatural, mystery and even humor. Odd is one of the great fictional characters who is driven by his commitment to justice and goodness in the face of unimaginable evil. Faced with the task of saving a group of children from horrible deaths, Odd is accompanied by a fascinating group of allies from the mysterious Edie to a ghostly Alfred Hitchcock. At times that narrative becomes convoluted and confusing but the reader is rewarded with a heart warming story.
on January 19, 2015
I am so sorry to be just about at the end of this series!! I have loved each and every one of these books. Dean Koontz along with being somewhat of a "horror" Author also has the most incredible sense of humor and I am so glad that he has brought that along with these books. Once I read the last book, I intend to reread them over from the 1st book to the last. I love books and I also love to reread them too. If you have to ask why, maybe you've never read books that can make you cry or cry from laughing out loud. Now I admit his books aren't comedy but there sure are some funny stuff in them. I too ( and I'm positive I'm not the only one) who has conversations with myself about which door to choose or which would be the best to do and Mr. Koontz has a way of putting it that helps me laugh at myself. Besides Christopher Snow, another two books of Mr. Koontz' Oddie has been with me the most. I'm not going to give any spoilers of this book whatsoever. If you love Dean Koontz as I do, read these books. They are the best!!! I had thought I had read ALL of his books, but I find that I haven't. Now to find them since most of them are out of print. But I will look for them. These books "Odd Thomas" are easy to find. Read them. You won't be sorry. But read from the very 1st one. " Odd Thomas".
on January 25, 2015
With one to go, I am sad to see the end of Odd Thomas, but know he will eventually be with Stormy Forever. Deeply Odd was another great story in the long line of novels in the series. What makes it so different than most other author's is that each story is a stand alone adventure. You do not have to read them on order and each is a complete and self contained episode. The stories are well written and you really want to know the characters. You root for them, feel for them, care for them, and that goes doubly for Oddie.
Some people may complain about the formulaistic aspects of the stories, but to me that is one of the strong points. You know the stories will file a certain pattern, then out of the blue something occurs that takes Odd and the reader by surprise.
Well done, Mr. Koontz, thank you again for a good read
on March 5, 2015
In the first books, Odd was unusual. Now he's the least unusual character in sight. Odd started out being a regular guy with an odd quality who got in situations with regular people with odd tendencies, desires, or goals. In this book, the oddest thing about Odd is that, compared to everyone else, he isn't odd. And that was his charm; he was odd in the regular world. In this book, he is not deeply odd, he is deeply unbelievable in the sense that one cannot suspend disbelief. Plus there are so many unsatisfied trails. Annamaria. WTF. The Odd doppelgänger suddenly gets six eyes. Must have missed something. Saw no point in Elsewhere. The Limo lady. WTF? Hitch.... too easy. I understand the end of Odd is near in the next book. One book too late. And it is just that I love the original Odd so much that I will buy it.
on June 26, 2013
By far Dean Koontz is my favorite contemporary author. He has the talent to majically weave words, discriptions and similies in ways to keep me spellbound and often makes me feel as though I am actually there with the character. For example, after reading his discription of a rain storm, I feel wet. It always takes me longer to finish a Dean Koontz book because I find myself re-reading descriptive passages that have mesmorized me simply because I love the way the passage is worded. I also take time out from reading to write down passages that I want to remember and to share with my friends. He develops his characters as though he was the one in their shoes. I love Odd Thomas, his journies, his morals and his associations with the lingering dead. By no means did "Deeply Odd" disappoint me. However, I found myself somewhat distracted and sad reading this book because Odd reminds the reader that what we are reading are his memoirs. Does that mean that he will cross to the other side in the next and final book in the Odd series? I have to keep reminding myself that what ever happens to Odd next, Dean Koontz will not disappoint me.