Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Big & Rich Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 576 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 740 reviews
on September 8, 2017
Albert Brooks is an acquired taste and I had enjoyed Mother with Debby Reynolds and thought I would give it a try especially because Meryl Streep was his love interest. This has to be one of the biggest snooze fests my husband I ever sat through. I forced him to watch it until the end hoping against hope there would be more scenes with Meryl and less of just Albert as a child, Albert here, Albert there, Albert everywhere!
One funny thing was the all you can eat food in the afterlife-but that was about it.
Albert scored some brilliant actors to co-star with him. Lee Grant did well as the cold hearted prosecutor who wants to prove that Albert has shown fear most of his life and therefore cannot move ahead and must be sent back to start all over again.
Rip Torn, bless his talented heart was excellent as the celestial attorney who defends the hapless Brooks, as he wallows in this muck of a movie.
IF you want to see Meryl Streep in a comedy watch her shine in She Devil. She steals the movie from Rosanne Barr!
There was no chemistry between Albert Brooks and Meryl Streep, though it was obvious that she tried.
One funny scene had her slowly eating some linguini which made Albert nervous-everything makes Albert nervous.
I breathed a sigh of relief when it was over.
on April 7, 2017
I love this film, in general! Unfortunately, there were no subtitles or Closed Captioning for the hearing impaired. The images were quite blurry, but the Sound was good. I'd try to hold out for a better release...if it comes with subtitles or SDH, then you know it's an improvement. FYI: This review pertains to the Region 1 (USA) version.
on January 28, 2014
I'd not seen this movie in a while but I remembered really enjoying it the first couple times I'd seen it. I'm gonna sound like the old dude saying this but they don't make movies like this anymore. It's aged ok, but it is starting to show it's age at this point (old CRT monitors, no cell phones, etc). The overall concept of the movie is interesting and it's presented in a fun, not too heavy way. Good chemistry between Albert Brooks and Meryl Streep. I enjoyed watching it again.
on July 28, 2017
a little boring but lots of cute moments
on April 23, 2017
One of my fav rom-coms with a great message. It's fear and self doubt that holds us back.
on March 29, 2016
A great story from 1991. Sure, it doesn't have all the technology of today's movies. However, the message is clear and the acting is terrific. I especially loved Rip Torn--is he still alive? If your pondering the meaning of life, this is the film for you!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 3, 2010
I know this is an older movie but it is one that I always enjoyed. So I purchased an inexpensive copy and watched it again.

I've often thought about how funny it would be to have a 24hr camera recording your life. Many moments, usually related to funny kid moments, would be great to capture and revisit. On the flip side, everyone has moments that don't want to live again but all of these shape who we are.

I'm not a great movie reviewer but I will say that I love the creativity of this interpretation of life-after-death. It is humorous with a lot of satire at how we live our daily lives.

Albert Brooks and Meryl Streep do a wonderful job of acting and the supporting actors are all great too.

The love story theme is okay (with a kind of corny ending) but the concept of reviewing your major life choices after death is interesting and it is really all about the interpretation of them and the lead-up to them.

A fun movie that doesn't have to be taken seriously.
on June 17, 2017
A very funny thoughtful movie with a great cast!
on September 5, 2017
Classy ,funny, Entertaining
on May 23, 2014
Albert Brooks wrote, directed, and stars in this philosophical comedy about a man having a hard time making a case for himself in the afterlife. When advertising executive Daniel Miller (Albert Brooks) finds himself in a fatal car crash minutes after taking delivery on a new BMW, he's whisked away to Judgment City, where the recently dead are put on a sort of trial to decide their fate. If in your time on Earth you were able to face your fears and learn from your mistakes, you get to move on to a life in a better