Tuesday, Dec 6
Ships from: Amazon.com Sold by: Amazon.com
FREE delivery: Tuesday, Dec 6
Ships from: Amazon.com
Sold by: Amazon.com
Have one to sell?
Other Sellers on Amazon
Loading your book clubs
There was a problem loading your book clubs. Please try again.
Not in a club? Learn more
Join or create book clubs
Choose books together
Track your books
Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free.
Follow the Author
Something went wrong. Please try your request again later.
Defense of the West: Transatlantic security from Truman to Trump, Second edition (Manchester University Press) 1st Edition
Enhance your purchase
Written in a lively and readable style by the world’s leading authority on the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and US-European relations, Defense of the West is the history of a transatlantic security relationship that has endured for over seventy years. This latest edition of a classic work looks at how developments inside NATO and European Union member states affect their ability to defend against external threats while preserving Western values, in the era of Trump and Brexit. Sloan frankly addresses the failures and shortcomings of Western institutions and member states. But the book emphasizes the continuing importance of value-based transatlantic security cooperation as a vital element of the defense and foreign policies of NATO and EU member states. At a time of heightened tension and political turmoil, at home and abroad, Stan Sloan’s lucid and far-sighted analysis is more necessary than ever.
- The NATO Review, Michael Ruehle: "For decades, Stanley R.Sloan has belonged to the small group of NATO-watchers who offer eminently readable accounts of where the alliance comes from and where it is going. US historian Lawrence Kaplan calls Sloan "the most important American authority in the field of NATO historiography". "Defense of the West" is an impressive volume: it offers a well-informed, jargon-free history of NATO as well as some almost philosophical reflections of a seasoned observer of the transatlantic community.
From the Author
The 2020 edition of Defense of the West was just acknowledged by a leading international relations scholar as one of the five best books on NATO. See the review here: fivebooks.com/best-books/nato-mark-webber/
- Publisher : Manchester University Press; 1st edition (September 11, 2020)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 408 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1526146231
- ISBN-13 : 978-1526146236
- Item Weight : 1.15 pounds
- Dimensions : 6.1 x 1.3 x 9.2 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #426,291 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
About the author
Follow authors to get new release updates, plus improved recommendations.