Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Definitive Guide to symfony (Expert's Voice in Open Source)
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tall Heights Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 10, 2007
The power of this amazing framework is truly revealed after you see how much thought has gone into its planning and documentation. I have been using the Symfony framework for six months with great success, but this book has given me a new perspective on Symfony's capabilities. PHP has been a mainstay in my web design business for almost 10 years, and I've used a number of different libraries and frameworks over the years. But nothing I've tried has come close to Symfony. The framework takes out the drudgery of common tasks like form processing and database/object interactions; and it does it in a way that is highly configurable. This book and framework have made web programming fun again.

Each chapter walks you through an important framework element from installation and setup to advanced features (cache control, plugin development, optimizing applications). It's written by two of the framework's lead developers. I would consider it a must-have for anyone using the Symfony framework.
on January 22, 2012
the book covers version 1 of synfony, it will give you a rough idea about what synfony is about and would be totally useful for version 1 but there have been major changes introduced in version 2 where this book would not be that helpful.
4 or 5 stars if you plan on using the old framework, otherwise 1 or 2 stars.
on August 8, 2007
Well written and understandable for such a large chunk of software. You can be the judge yourself, of course, by reading it online before you buy the hard copy. I'd definitely recommend having the real thing if you're just starting with symfony though.. you can't dogear or bookmark the online version.
on November 1, 2007
I'm a freelancer that was in search of a framework that would allow me to expeditiously develop applications for my clients, without sacrificing reliability. After researching several PHP-based MVC frameworks, I landed on symnfony due to its comprehensive set of features, strong OOP support, PHP5 utilization, and (very importantly) the great documentation. Yes, this book is available in web format online - but I'm very glad I made the purchase so I could learn the framework as I traveled, and it's much easier to use as a reference (I have it sprawled across my desk as I type this review). If you're looking for a great framework, I'm convinced symfony is it. And if you're looking to learn symfony, and have a resource as you build your skills, this book is what you'll need. The only caviat is, if you have no Object-Oriented programming experience, I would recommend you pick up "Objects, Patterns, & Practice" by Apress before learning symfony.
on December 18, 2013
Apress books are great, but this one is for Symfony 1.x. Symfony 2.0 came out in mid-2011, and as of December 2013, the current version is 2.4. The differences between the two versions are significant enough that I wouldn't recommend using this book. Hopefully they'll publish a revised edition soon.
on October 17, 2007
The books contains all the information you can find in the online manual on the website of the symfony project.
If you know this before (and I did), the book has the same quality like the online manual, in my opinion a very good one.
on August 21, 2011
I know that symfony has release 2.0, and this is for the 1.x flavor. However, the 1.x stuff is still really good and stable. This book seems to be the one hardcopy set of docs that I need.
on June 29, 2008
I ordered this book to serve as a reference for my symfony work. It has been an excellent reference guide to symfony, though it is not meant to be a "Introduction to.." or "Getting Started" book. I highly recommend if you work or have a solid background in symfony and need a handy desktop reference manual.
on June 13, 2008
This book is really the definitive guide. It covers everything you need to know to build a web 2.0 application with symfony. It is written by the people behind symfony, so the book is extremely detailed and has a great format that makes it easy to understand. Well done.
on June 3, 2007
What separates symfony from the rest of the frameworks at the moment is the documentation. Every noteworthy feature and approach is documented in the book and the Askeet tutorial is great for real-life implementations. If you are serious about Symfony, get this book.