Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 117 reviews
on May 25, 2014
As a long time AIC fan, I got curious about Jerry Cantrell's solo projects.
This full version of his 2nd project is, as described by Cantrell, a sort of autobiography, a view of his own life. I won't go on about the content of the songs - it's been documented and discussed in plenty of media reports.
I will say this, though: If you're into the heavier side of rock and looking for a sound that's fresh, diverse and compelling, beautiful melodies, awesome musicainship and wonderful, honest, dark and sometimes cynical lyrics, this is a record you should definitely buy.
Yes, it's over 1.5 hours long, but I for one cannot stop listening to it and every time I do, it just flies by.

Thank you, Jerry, for not giving up and even mortgaging your house in order to publish this record. It became one of my favorites. I think it deserves way more recognition than it got.
on September 16, 2012
After Boggy Depot, Alice in Chains briefly got back together to record a couple songs and release a compilation set, but once again fell apart right after: so Jerry stepped back up to the plate and made it on his own. This double album is the way Jerry wished it to be released from the start: the earlier single disc set was a compromise with the record company nervous about a project of this size. Now that we have the full package, Degradation Trip vol. 1&2 is different than his Debut, but is no less strong.

Other reviews do the `song-by-song' approach so I'll just give my thoughts on the set and point out some of the standouts in my opinion. This set is less experimental than Boggy Depot, and focuses more on Cantrell's signature heavy, sludgy riffing balanced with some gorgeous acoustic numbers. The album is quite a bit heavier than Boggy Depot, with songs like "Spiderbite", "Hellbound", "Anger Rising" and "She Was My Girl" rivaling Soundgarden's Batmotorfinger in terms of raw, heavy, in your face metal. Though in true Cantrell style we get gorgeous acoustic songs like "Gone", "31/32" and "Give it a Name" to balance the experience, and songs like "Siddhartha", "Feel the Void" and "What it Takes" recall the creepy, skin crawling style of AiC hits like "Died" and "Get Born Again".

Jerry mostly sings at a much lower pitch than he did on his previous solo effort, matching the darker, dirtier sound of the album, though he rises up on the acoustic numbers to keep those songs refreshing breaks from all the darkness. As far as other things, I do feel the greater prominence of the Bass over Boggy Depot is important since many of the songs are slow and sludgy, and nothing is as dank and sludgy as a well-played bass line.

Overall Cantrell's second solo effort is a different sort of flavor from his debut, but it's still amazing and shows off how strong he is on his own. I honestly feel than Jerry Cantrell is just as strong on his own as he is with Alice in Chains, and I wish his solo efforts got greater recognition.
on June 24, 2013
Great double CD. Apparently, this is the whole set of music Jerry Cantrell wanted to release but record company wouldn't release a double CD, therefore, "Degradation Trip" the shortened version of the double CD was first released. This is not the first CD of D/T with the new songs tacked on at the end, this is the order in which J/C originally wanted this released. Excellent riffs and great vocals by Cantrell. Songs seem to be reflective of things that happened in his life, how he sees things on numerous topics, and all are assured to keep your undivided attention. A variety of different types of Rock N Roll, hard, medium, and soft. Many songs are in a storytelling format. If you're an Alice in Chains fan, you'll also love this CD by Cantrell. Many songs could pass for AIC. I'm thrilled with double CD even though I had the first single CD already. Purchased at Amazon because this CD is from 2002(?) and I couldn't find it in the stores once I found out there was a double CD.
on November 9, 2013
I bought this album back in 2003 and enjoyed it a bit, listened to it and forgot about it. I only like maybe half of the album and that was it. Well, I came back to this album recently and was instantly hooked. I suppose my musical tastes have changed, but this is an absolute gem, a hidden gem. Bargain Basement, Pig Charmer and Castaway are some of my favorites, but there are many many more great ones.

Now, his first album The Boggy Depot I also own. At first I liked that album a lot years ago when I used to listen to it. I recently came back to it as well, and I couldn't stand it. One or two songs and that was it, totally different than this album.
on October 31, 2013
I love the original Alice in Chains material, and also the new material after Layne's departure. I think Degredation Trip is BETTER than any of it. I am so glad I bought this set. I'm a little disappointed that it took me this long to find it. On my first listen, it didn't really click with me, but after that, I was hooked. Once it sinks its teeth into you, it will not let go. I've had it for over six months now, and still listen every day. As of right now, this is my favorite album of all time. I would pick this over any other - just amazing stuff.
on May 25, 2006
Oh man! I can't express the affect this album has on my soul. I was a big fan of Boggy Depot and had meant to check this out for a long time after that came out but for whatever reason I hadn't gotten around to it. What a mistake! This album is great!

It runs the gamut from slow, soft ballads to deep, heavy, distorted rock tracks. I love it! A lot of the songs are very catchy and stick with you. But the real hook is the emotion that flows from the songs. It seems that Jerry really poured his soul into many of the tracks. A couple of songs speak to the despair one feels as he observes a tragic situation that he is powerless to stop or prevent. This has obvious significance in Jerry's life, but will reasonate with anyone that has found themselves in a similar situation.

It speaks to me and will to you too. Buy it.
on October 23, 2009
Well, I'll make it simple. If you like the new A. In Chains you'll love this album. If you like Boggy Depot you'll also love this album.

The album it's a cathartic exercise mixed with amazing musicianship. Cantrell surrounded himself with Trujillo (now in Metallica) and Bordin from F. No More (Chris DeGarmo contributes on one song). Cantrell sounds more daring and confident in this effort compared to B. Depot, more "evolved" and willing to take chances (his singing shows it). This is the album (double) it was intented to be done at the beginning, so if you think that the second disc is a filler think again.

As I told you, if you're into the new AIC be ready to add 2 more discs lo listen to because you'll like Degradation Trip 1 & 2, and believe me, this is a fact.
on March 19, 2015
Jerry Cantrell has been a favorite guitarist of mine since the early AIC years. Boggy Depot, the first solo album of his that I bought, is still one of my most played cds. Now, Degradation Trip Volumes 1 and 2, reminds us of just how amazing this musician is! Great songs and excellent riffs. Home run Jerry!!!
on February 15, 2007
Jerry Cantrell it appears from the first note of this cd was more than just the guitarist for Alice In Chains...the atomsphere he creates here is nothing short of amazing! His singing is as strong as his guitar and I am very impressed with this cd as it really has Jerry bringing it all together...as one reviewer remarked the first cd Bogey Depot was a solo album from a member of a band...this cd is far superior in that it has its own personality and takes you down in the hole of Jerry's soul...get it play it and be glad that with all the junk metal being made lately this is real rock ....and it will make you appreciate real talent and creativity!
on May 26, 2016
Jerry the beginning of his intimate work.....oh wait that was Alice In Chains Too! Layne the only true musician I miss! Jerry keeps you alive through his work as well!