Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 33 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 49 reviews
on September 24, 2012
My goodness! All the awards, all the acclaim, all the hype - and it's all true! I can honestly say I've not read a novel like it, and I've only read the translation. If only my French were good enough to have allowed me to read this charming story in its original language. To synopsise the story - Natalie meets and falls in love with Francois, loses him, grieves, survives, returns to work, returns to life, and somehow manages to find love again - makes it all sound so trite and mundane while this novel is anything but that! David Foenkinos writes like no other in this novel. He manages to convey emotions like joy and sorrow and pain and hope with such astonishing intensity and clarity, and he does it all in a half a sentence! Oh so French, non? Honestly, there were times when I'd reread a sentence several times over because I just couldn't believe how...perfect!!... it was. The translator on this novel, Bruce Benderson, should take a bow. If you love language, and like to laugh, and like to feel, and want to believe in love again, and in the power we have to restore one another, then please read this novel. I only hope you like it as much as I did.
on March 22, 2013
I watched the movie a few times. As good as the movie was, I always felt that something was missing. There were times in the movie that I wanted more. Well, I was told that Delicacy was first a novel. Went out and bought it; read it in one sitting. How terrific to have all my questions answered. As the story unfolded, there was character back story, explanations for certain scenes, for example, Markus's walk home after the kiss. My appreciation for this story doubled. Another instance, Charles, her boss. What a sad soul, a wasted life. I never got that impression in the movie, but in the book, with all the back story, his character was fleshed out. Oh, Markus - I have a crush on him myself. What an amazing character. I didn't get his full feelings for Natalie until I read the book, nor realized in the movie how profound his gift to her was in her eyes when she visited her father.

I found the little chapters charming, adding or minimizing the hurt from a previous chapter. Please see the movie first and read the book for fill in. You won't be sorry.
on February 21, 2012
I'm not one to write reviews, but I was upset to see that this book had only garnered a one-star review. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found the author's writing style to be refreshing. It is a story woven from many perspectives of characters that are sometimes only passing through, and you feel an emotional attachment to each of them. The author is gifted with creativity and I truly felt like I was reading a work of art, up for interpretation.
on May 8, 2017
A novel of modern time, of interesting characters and many relatable situations. Finished the book in less than 24 hours. Very entertaining, I got to understand the characters very well.
on February 17, 2013
I'm not a big reader of romance novels, so I'm not sure if I can do this book justice. Delicacy is very romantic and entertaining. The only problem I had was that it felt kind of short and shallow, but that's probably just because I'm used to reading long, dense fantasy novels and classic literature. That said, this book was well written and I liked the characters. I finished it in a sitting. I'm sure any romance novel lover would love to add Delicacy to their collection. I found it a very pleasant diversion from my usual reading fare and would gladly read another book by the same author.
on November 26, 2012
I recently discovered Amazon's list of 100 Best Books 2012 and ordered six of the novels cited including Delicacy. Delicacy is a very nice romance. It takes place in Paris. It's very French, so some of the behaviors are rather odd, but I liked it anyway. It's short, but it has some 115 chapters, several of which are ultra brief, clever and amusing, e.g., Chapter 38 "Code for the Door to Markus's Building A9624"
There are a number of very nice romantic moments, a number of funny ones, a few tragic ones. Altogether a nice story. It has won a number of French awards and sold a ton of books there.
on May 5, 2014
I deeply enjoyed this book and found it meaningful and thought provoking while being quirky and fun. The premise sounds like the book would be dramatic and depressing, but while there were certainly sad moments, overall it was amusing and incredibly touching. This is a really beautifully written book with a certain poetry to some of the sentences that made me go back and read them again.
on December 26, 2012
I was looking for something that was reflective and entertaining as well as a quick read. This novel met all of my expectations. As a working mom of a one and a two year old child, I don't have a lot of time to read for pleasure. But, this novel allowed for me to be lost in another world. It was hard to put down. I am really happy I picked this one out on a whim. It was a very enjoyable read.
on September 25, 2015
I loved this book in spite of the film.
With a great sense of humor, the author leads us from a personal tragedy to a happy ending in which we learn looks mean nothing when we choose decency.
Don't skip the footnotes!
on December 22, 2015
At first I thought the writing was abrupt, but ended up loving it because it helped me understand life from a man's experience. I was able to watch the movie too for free on Amazon. Loved it too.