- Hardcover: 400 pages
- Publisher: Appetite by Random House; 2nd edition (May 6, 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 9780449016503
- ISBN-13: 978-0449016503
- ASIN: 0449016501
- Product Dimensions: 6.4 x 1.3 x 9.5 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.4 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 1,257 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #8,761,853 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Delicious! Hardcover – International Edition, May 6, 2014
|New from||Used from|
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
• "[Ruth Reichl is] the culinary scene queen...the most influential food person in America today." -- National Post
• "...an all around role model to food critics everywhere." -- The Toronto Star
• "Reading Ruth Reichl on food is almost as good as eating it...Reichl makes the reader feel present with her, sharing her experience." -- The Washington Post Book World
• "An absolute delight to read...how lucky we are that [Reichl] has the courage to follow her appetite." -- Newsday
• "[Reichl] is fair-minded, brave, and a wonderful writer." -- The New York Times Book Review
• “[Ruth Reichl’s] New York is a fairy-tale town where beautiful food abounds… The novel presents a whole passel of surprises: a puzzle to solve; a secret room; hidden letters; the legacy of James Beard; and a parallel, equally plucky heroine from the past, who also happens to be a culinary prodigy.” --The New York Times Book Review
• “Fascinating characters… There’s romance, intrigue, food history, and the fictional appearance of a very real American culinary icon.” --The Austin Chronicle
• “[Reichl’s] satisfying coming-of-age novel of love and loss vividly demonstrates the power of food to connect people across cultures and generations.” --Library Journal
• “This savory feast of a first novel blends the rich gifts that readers of Reichl’s memoirs and food writing have come to expect.” --More
About the Author
RUTH REICHL was Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet magazine for ten years. She lives in New York City with her husband, son, and two cats.
Try the Kindle edition and experience these great reading features:
1,257 customer reviews
Review this product
Showing 1-8 of 1,257 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
During the course of her research, Billie finds a hidden room in the library and discovers letters written by a young girl to James Beard during Worl War II. But, the former librarian has filed the letters according to his own system and in order to find the next letter, Billie has to uncover clues left in the card catalog. When the building's owner decides to sell the building, it's a race against time to find all the letters.
We also learn about Billie's life growing up. Her mother died when she was a baby and she was raised by her father and her Aunt Melba, her mother's sister, who lives next door. She lived in the shadow of her older, beautiful and "perfect" sister Genie and sees herself as the quiet, geeky, uncool younger sister. During her time in NYC, we see Billie find herself, her sense of style and her confidence.
I enjoyed the story, the characters and the rich detail that Reichl includes on every page. I highly recommend this book.
Later: Well I finished the final section of the book and I wasn't disappointed...except from the stand-
point of having to leave the story and characters behind. I said it earlier, I'll say it again: I've not read anything as charming and as irresistible as this book has been. You will not be disappointed.