Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 987 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,689 reviews
on December 7, 2016
What would you do if love was a disease? A dangerous thing to be eradicated. The fluttery, nervous feeling in your stomach or overwhelming sensation of warmth just a precursor to death. The final stage of deliria, or succumbing to the deadly disease of love.

Lena is born to a world that believes this. People are cured on their eighteenth birthdays to live a contented, unemotional (but not emotionless) life. Parents don't console their children when they are hurt and kisses are just curt transactions.

Prior to your birthday you are evaluated and matched with four to five possible future husbands. Once ranked, you are paired and will marry after you graduate from University. That is the only pseudo-choice you are given over your own life. Even your University and major are chosen for you.

Lena is afraid. She's afraid to break rules, afraid to even think the wrong thoughts. Sure that those in charge will find out and take her away. That is why when her best friend starts to question, to wonder if the cure is happiness, to explore and to listen to music banned by the government - Lena's world is turned upside down. Through Hana and some trespassing, she meets 19-year-old Alex.

Alex introduces Lena to things she never even knew she wanted. Time ticks down to Lena's cure and she realized that she might not want it anymore. but that's not a choice she is given. The cure is mandatory, so what is she going to do?

The world we are introduced to is much like our own, yet it is a world changed by deliria. The government taps people's phones, regulators and police perform raids during which all rights are forfeit, and your life is chosen for you. The world-building is wonderfully done, allowing us a look into this strangely familiar world through the eyes' of Lena. There are short quotes at the beginning of each chapter that illustrates some of the rules, propaganda, cautionary tales and banned literature that Lena would be familiar with. It gives the novel an extra level of depth that benefits it greatly.

The characters in the novel are varied and realistic. Lena is a normal, ordinary girl - or at least that's the way she thinks of herself, but she makes courageous extraordinary choices. Where will her heart take her? Hana, her best friend is rich and beautiful but she wonders if there's something more. Will she give up her contented life or take the cure? Alex is from another world and different ideals shape his thoughts. Will he alter the girls' perception of their government and lives, or will they choose the cure?

Wonderfully well-written novel that I highly recommend to young adult/teen readers even if they don't normally read dystopian style novels. There are only one or two instances of a curse word being used and no inappropriate scenes detailed. This is a very enjoyable read that will keep you up into the wee hours of the morning.
on March 27, 2017
I've never given a book a poor rating before. I usually appreciate all writing styles and enjoy the books for their uniqueness, but gosh, I just couldn't get through this book. I made it 4/5 of the way through it and just couldn't convince myself to finish it. I rather stare out a window. I'm the type of person that likes to read for hours a day, though this book was so slow and tedious that I just couldn't stay focused on it whatsoever. The concept of the book was very intriguing to me, and I liked the overall story line, but the writer's style was obnoxiously boring. She's great at describing things, I'll give her that, but she just goes on, and on, and on, and on, AND ON, about the tiniest stuff. I'm sorry, but I don't want to read 2 pages worth of how the sand feels on your feet or how the breeze smells. A few sentences or perhaps a paragraph is plenty. It just makes the story unfold SO slowly. Plus there's huge build up in areas for pages and pages where absolutely nothing ends up happening. It just feels like you're on a treadmill with no payoff. Just not worth it in my opinion. I would've given it 1 star, but I did like the concept of the book. Someone else may enjoy her writing style so 2 stars felt more fair.
on March 20, 2013
Hana

The first novella Hana goes back to the summer before Hana was cured. We experience moments not told in Delirium and even a few moments that were from Hana's point of view. Although this is considered Delirium #.5 I personally found it beneficial to read after Requiem. Otherwise the surprise in Requiem would have been spoiled.

Pros:

We see how Hana's feelings developed regarding Lena and Alex.
There's a glimpse of Hana not only partying but her experiencing fear of getting the disease.
We have empathy for Hana as she covers up her "devil's kiss."
Cons:

I'm not a fan of rehashing scenes that we've already read. However with that being said, I did feel Oliver did it well.
Story: 5/5

Annabel

The story of Annabel offers the reader both a glimpse of before she was cured and her time in the crypts just before her escape. Eleven years in the crypts, the reader gets barely a glimpse but it's enough to see how she possibly managed to survive. What the story lacks isn't more depth (we get plenty of that) but answers on after her escape and her time as a rebel. Annabel is shorter in length than Hana, and the story of Annabel could have used the additional pages to tie up more questions instead of such an abrupt end.

Pros:

We learn of the environment where Annabel (Lena's mother) grew up. How society was changing.
Annabel's first encounter with Conrad and how he became one of her recommended pairings.
Conrad's passing and him remembering her leather jacket.
The awful conditions of the crypts and what it was like to live there.
How she planned her escape and waited until Thomas gave her directions.
The cure hasn't worked for Annabel and she feels something for Lena while she's pregnant with her and also worrying about her daughter as Rachel (her other daughter) has already been cured. She has hope for Lena.
Cons:

For a novella the story feels short, abruptly ended. I'd have preferred to read about Annabel and how she survived outside of the crypts. It was great reading about her escape but seeing her on the run without shoes, no food after being hosed down and bruised it felt like it ended before the story had time to begin.
Not enough scenes of Lena and Annabel together. It would have been nice to see another moment of their time when Lena was young.
Story: 4/5

Raven

The novella Raven offers a strong glimpse at a a character we've met in both Pandemonium and Requiem. We've always wondered about Raven, who she is, where she comes from and how she came to be the tough leader that she is with the rebels. The story of Raven offers a little insight into her character.

Pros:

Tacks gets his name after previously been called "Thief."
Glimpse into Raven's home life, where she came from and how she came to be who she is.
Raven surprises us at the end with not the news but how she obtained the information.
Blue as a child and how "Thief" protected her.
Raven trusting "Thief" and again trusting "Lena."
Tack and Raven, how they came to be.
Cons:

The news at the very end of the story we learn, isn't mentioned again, including in Requiem when we see Raven.
Story: 5/5
on February 6, 2012
I am fortunate to have 2 daughters that love to read. We all trade books and compare notes. My 13 year old tackled this book last Summer and gave it her stamp of approval. I read it shortly after her and then handed it off to my 17-year old. The older one is a very independent, intelligent young woman, immersed in her college selection process, ACT tests, marching band, wind ensemble, volunteering, working a part time job and already taking college classes her senior year of high school. So when she made the time to read this book, then re-read it, then asked for her own copy for Christmas, I knew it was special to her.

She proclaimed "Delirium" as her favorite book and says she still cries at the ending. We already have the second book in the trilogy on order and cannot wait to see what happens next. Delirium is well worth the read.
on March 2, 2017
Whyyyyyyyy?!?!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugh. I understand cliffhangers... But that was evil. The worst possible situation, the one in the back of your mind that you hope would never manifest itself, the one you think no way would the author do that to you, the one that will almost, almost, make you wish you hadn't picked up the book to begin with, that's the cliffhanger we're left with. Beautiful story, beautiful words, with a cliffhanger that will temporarily crush your soul. I kind of hate you for that. But I will absolutely be picking up the second book. And I kind of hate you for that too.
on January 6, 2015
Lauren Olivier I could read and read and read. Her words are food for thought...food for the soul. I was swept along and enjoyed the story more than I'd initially imagined. Poignant and dystopian grey, sharp, and sad that I pondered over and was anxious to return to each night. For as much for the storyline as the delightful sentence construction, the emotional horizon, and the poetic quality this story gifts the reader. Simply sumptuous from start to finish.
on March 10, 2017
Since the Hunger Games Came out ,which at first I didn't realize wa YA.There have been many YA books I've read in the past and listened to on Audible . I really liked Delerium . It's a little like HG but very interesting coming of age love story .
on March 12, 2017
Though I did not plan to read this book, I am glad I ended up reading it, as it is extremely interesting! It talks about a world that I had never invisibles before, and can really feel like you are part of the story and are going through the same things the main character (Lena) is going through. The ending caught me by surprise, and left me wanting to know more. I recommend it!
on March 4, 2017
I have to say, I wasn't sure about this book, but now I'm done with it and reading the next one. Lauren Oliver is an excellent author. Great imagery. I'd recommend it for teens. I'll admit, I'm a bit older and obviously I like it too.
on April 21, 2017
It kept me on edge. I had to know what happens next. The author describes everything so incredibly vividly. It makes you feel like you're right there, smelling the smells, feeling what she feels, living every bit of it. She brings emotions to life on paper. The best book I've read since the selection series. I'm so excited to read the next in the series!!!