Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 18, 2015
First of all, I want to say that I am currently a student at the University of Baltimore, I am enrolled in the survey entrepreneurship course and this specific book was my recommended reading during the 2015 Fall semester.
This book is very interesting because it shows people how to build and manage a successful business in a rather unusual way. Tony Hsieh, the CEO of Zappos, basically explain that having a great employer/employee relationship is key to successful business. It is how he gets and maintains this relationship where it gets “weird” and unusual. In this book, he shares that he personally hangs out with his employees outside of the office, he is throwing parties for them, he is drinking with them and so on. Surprisingly, it works. The result is that employees are more productive, especially in delivering great customer service (Zappos is well known for great customer service and they take pride in that). For the company, customer satisfaction is not the task for one specific department; the whole company gets involved and makes sure that satisfaction is delivered.
What I especially liked about this book is that it made me think outside of the box. It made think about all the different possibilities on how to begin, manage and maintain (especially talking about startup businesses). What Tony did is absolutely brilliant and although it may not work with every business cases, it is a good example on how to work differently and still get great result.
I understand that this book also include an little bit of autobiography but as the reader, I think there is few unwanted details that can confuse other readers because it tends to get out of topic.
Overall, I enjoyed reading this book and I really recommend this book to people who want to get some inspiration. I especially recommend other student just like me to read it as well because it can be helpful in future projects.
on March 1, 2017
Overall, this was an inspiring read. I especially love reading about the author's growth from his first business to being the CEO of a $1B company. The chapters covering the science of happiness are the most informative. I initially thought it was creative to infuse actual emails and testimonies written by employees and a customer, but it sometimes appears to merely take up space. Some of the stories could've been removed as the author had already driven the point home with data or an anecdote.
VINE VOICEon September 7, 2014
My mentor recommended Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose by Tony Hsieh and I was thoroughly entertained by it. The book is an insider's look at the technology industry and includes numerous management experiences. My husband and friends all work in this industry, so as I read the book I found myself in agreement numerous times. It was nostalgic to look back at these industry giants and the progression to success. While reading the book I often found myself laughing, frowning, or sharing tidbits with others...yet the most enjoyment for me was the unedited and natural writing style of Tony Hsieh. I truly felt as if I was sitting across from him in a coffee bar sharing stories of the past! Delightful to read, inspiring and fun...don't miss this gem!
on March 6, 2016
This book was recommended reading for an introduction to entrepreneurship class that I am enrolled in at the University of Baltimore. I was immediately captured by the laid-back tone Tony Hsieh took when telling his story, and it helped me imagine a similar culture at LinkExchange and Zappos. While I wish he would have elaborated on how he made some of his tougher decisions, I was struck by how straightforward he was in informing employees of his 9 month plan in getting Zappos to profitability. If only all CEO’s sent out emails that were as candid about the company’s situation as Hsieh’s! His commitment to both the success of the business and the well-being of its employees is a key component of his success as a leader. When discussing the importance of company culture, Hsieh hit the nail on the head in saying “if you get the culture right, most of the other stuff – including building a great brand – will fall into place on its own.” A leader must understand both the business aspect of having to cut costs and the human aspect of meeting employees’ needs and keeping them engaged. His example of cutting salaries to keep the company operational and then providing a place for employees to live rent-free was a creative way of addressing both aspects in a way that engenders loyalty and better performance. Hsieh’s message of having a core set of company values and sticking to them is apparent throughout the book, especially when he lists his top ten questions to ask when looking for investors and board members. A leader who is willing to turn down money because it’s coming from someone who doesn’t share the company’s vision is a leader who will stay the course. Everyone planning to start/lead a business should take these lessons to heart.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This is one of the top 10 business books I've read to date. Anyone in business should read it--would make a fantastic holiday gift to someone who likes business books. I laughed my way through it reading Tony's wry comments as he encountered life and business challenges, but his character and vision led him always to the best choices and to design a company that is good for everyone. Hopefully it will be a model for other businesses to emulate. I've read many books on happiness and positive psychology and was delighted to see these principles applied to a business. When I told my entrepreneurial little brother he should read this book, he asked who the author was. When I told him, my brother said he'd met Tony when my brother had a budding company in San Francisco. What was Tony like? I asked my brother. "The guy was really humble," my brother replied, describing Tony. Isn't that refreshing? That's what comes across in the book--the truly great ones are humble. It will be fun to watch what Tony does next with his life. I hope he writes a sequel in the next few years. He's on a learning path that we all will be able to learn from.
on May 6, 2017
The book is a great story on how Tony Hsieh made it to the position he is at, its got a good writhing style and is very personable. this is definitely a entertaining read, and it tells good stories about how Tony got himself to the position he is at now. The book is not as technical on the specifics but it provides a good idea of the underlying values that Tony created though his experience. This book is like sitting down with Tony and letting him tell you his story and his takeaways from his life experience. Worth taking a read, even if you are not interested in the technicalities of running a business and just want to read a good story.
on March 21, 2014
“Delivering Happiness” was required reading for my class as a University of Baltimore student enrolled in a survey of Entrepreneurship course. This lively book traces the interesting life of Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh as well as the history of the company and how it has developed over the years to its goal of Delivering Happiness. Tony shares that the secret to a great company is unified culture and values that are truly lived by employees on all levels. I loved the stories and the insights on business and was impressed that even Tony’s childhood ventures were well planned; he was always quick with numbers whether it was investment amounts, break-even points, or projected profits. The only thing that saddened me in the book was the drinking/partying/gambling references, although Tony drew interesting business lessons from the game of Poker, such as that long-term wins are what matter, and the table you sit at is important. For businesses, the latter advice means that you need to choose a business with a healthy market and not too many experienced competitors. This book is a great read for entrepreneurship students as it offers tested wisdom on how company culture keeps a company united and focused, and how delivering what counts and building engagement and trust draw and retain loyal customers better than generating buzz. Tony ends the book by reflecting that everyone ultimately seeks happiness, and business that make happiness the core of their business model will help customers attain happiness and also better themselves and their environment.
on May 23, 2015
I thought the chance to purchase on of the business world's must read books in graphic novel form would be a novel idea. Turns out I read the whole thing in one setting. I don't know if the book itself have more detail, but I loved how engaged I was. I realized it was because I really wanted to know how people succeed. And then at un-forewarned moments the book would throw an insightful nugget in the mix and inspire you to change your whole method to becoming happy and successful. I'm willing to bet you'd find helpful moments the author just threw in to move the story forward, but becomes a Swarmi moment to you. Loved that it was a quick read and had great info!
on March 7, 2015
"Delivering Happiness” by Tony Hseieh, the CEO of Zappos, is a book that I will highly recommend to anyone who is trying to find happiness on a personal or professional level. I am an undergrad student at the University of Baltimore majoring in International Business and this book was part of my required reading assignment in the entrepreneurship 300 class.

I was really not motivated to read the book as I thought that this was just a book that I needed to read in order to get through my assignment. However, at my big surprise, when I started reading the book, it became so hard for me to put it down. Despite my busy schedule as a parent with a full-time job and going to school full-time, I was done reading the book in only 2 days. It was so inspiring and good to read.

Tony relates the story from his childhood experiences as an entrepreneur to LinkExchange and finally to the birth of Zappos. He went on through the details of his failure and success. One thing that I can say is that Tony is not a conventional CEO. Hence, his way of doing business is very innovative and different. Tony has created a tribe (as described in his book), a movement, a mentality of people who share the same core values with him.

What interests Tony the most is not money, but instead a sense of creativity, innovation, and happiness.
I have recommended this book to my circle of friends. This is one of the books that everyone should read regardless of whether or not they are thinking of opening a business.
on March 23, 2014
I have never read a more inspiring book before in my life. As a student at the University of Baltimore, I was given this book as a recommended reading for a book essay and at first I was not interested, but then when I saw "Zappos" , I was like "Hey, I brought shoes from them before". Never had I read such a good detailed book from top to bottom, beginning to end before about any company. Tony as a child, knew what he wanted to do and every single time he set forth to doing something, he knew right away whether it was something to invest in or leave behind. And honestly I thought after leaving Link Exchange he would never create such a booming business, but he proved me wrong with the story of Zappos. The way he turned around and put his 100% in the company, and made it about his business before himself just made me see what it really meant as a person to love something more than yourself. Just like Jenn said at his New Years Eve party " Envision, Create, and Believe in your own universe". To me customer service should always be number 1 in a company, and employees should always be number 2 . But to put your passion in your business the way Tony, Alfred and Fred did, no words can describe. They never lost sight or focus and it lets me know that there are truly "entrepreneurs" out there.