Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 125 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 166 reviews
on September 20, 2013
Pros: Great printer overall, small enough to send with your college student, price was under a $100.
Cons: Toner capacity is only 500 sheets (thats only 1 ream of paper) so this printer is only suitable for people who do occasional printing. Do not buy for an shared environment with high use... you will be changing toner all the time.
If paper is in a humid environment, it can cause paper curl & jams. This is a problem common to many laser printers. Some printers are more sensitive to humidity than others.

Conclusion: If you need a low cost laser printer that is easily moved around, this is perfect for the job. If you need high capacity printing...keep looking, this is not the printer for you.
on February 1, 2014
I had been looking for an affordable laser printer for some time before deciding on this one. While I am a price conscientious buyer my number one priority in product selection is quality, second to functionality, and then price. This product successfully hit all of those marks. At about $60 I felt the price of this item was better than average and when I saw the brand was Dell I felt confident that I would be getting a reliable product.
When the printer was delivered, set up was very easy and only took about 5 minutes from opening the package to printing my first document. The added feature of being able to print from my smart phone or tablet was a huge bonus for me. Right away, as I unpacked the box, I could see that it was built well, didn't feel cheap, and its compact size was another big bonus for me. I don't like to have to give up space for quality - and I was not let down. I have printed several documents over this first month of owning the printer and I can say that the quality is consistently good. Coverage is even and the ink comes out nice and dark, as it should with a laser printer.
Unlike ink jet printers that can come out faded and start looking uneven and inconsistent even strait out of the box, I don't think I'll ever have a problem like that with this laser printer. So far, I am very pleased with this purchase and would definitely recommend it to others.
on December 18, 2013
We like our Epson WF2540 all-in-one. It performs all its functions well. But the ink is expensive, so we decided that we needed a B&W laser printer as well. This is particularly true in the era of manuals one prints out on one's own printer, sometimes running to hundreds of pages.

The 1160W was easy to set up. It includes the USB cable needed for setup, which many printers do not. Setup for wireless was easy, and the 1160W quickly found our wireless LAN and accepted our security key when entered. We print to it from two machines, one running Windows XP and the other running Windows 7 without trouble.

The only disappointment was with the Dell mobile print application for our Iphones. It does NOT support the 1160W, though it supports several other Dell printers. In comparison, the Epson WF2540 mobile app was easy to install and worked instantly. Note the Dell DOES supply a printer app for Android devices which does support the 1160W, but we did not test it, since we are an IOS home.

The starter cartridge provides 1500 pages, a reasonable start, and replacement toner cartridges from Dell ($50) and aftermarket vendors ($25) provide 2000 pages at reasonable prices.

Noise level is typical of laser printers, but it is completely silent except when printer. Compact as laser printers go, and inexpensive (we paid $59) it is a useful addition for those of us who print enough pages to afford an alternative to ink jets.

We were disappointed by the mobile app, but the printer itself and the wireless setup of it was quick and easy. It's particularly convenient that it can be placed anywhere in range of your LAN, not just next to your router.

Recommended.
on August 1, 2015
Using WPS, I was able to get the printer to recognize my network, but it kept assigning itself a 169.* IP address, and refused to use DHCP, which meant it couldn't access the network.

I tried to use the manufacturer-supplied printer manager software to connect to it, in the hopes of being able to manually set a static IP, but on my computer (a Mac running 10.10 Yosemite) the software could not locate the printer.

So, there's nothing I could do to make it work. Returned.
on February 18, 2014
We purchased this printer for use on our boat (we are full time live-aboards). It is at times nice to have a printer, but we print perhaps 100 pages a year total - most at Tax Time, and the rest a page here and there every month or so (We are still on the original cartage if that gives you any idea!)...

We had been using an Ink Jet printer that worked well, however it dried up between the Long Layups, and we would go through perhaps an entire cartage cleaning the heads...

This Dell printer is just the ticket for us. Over a year old it has worked flawlessly. Was (surprisingly) simple to set up on our WiFi network, and even simpler to use - just take it out of its box, plug it in any close AC outlet and add paper. No need to string up cables, move it close to the computers, etc.

We bought a printer to use for home-quantity printing jobs, with perhaps weeks time between them. Combined with its compact size I can say this laser printer could not fit the need better.
on February 2, 2016
I've had this printer for over 2 years with my mac. The wireless configuration stopped working a while ago, but I plug it in whenever I need to print and it works fine. I'm a college student, so I've used this to print out a lot of papers, assignments, and syllabi and I still haven't needed to change the cartridge! The print is lighter now and has had a light to replace the cartridge for a few weeks, but it is still kicking and churning out what I need. Going to use the cartridge up until the very last drop of ink, which might even last until graduation!
on February 25, 2015
i used this printer 3, maybe 4 times until it had a paperjam. ever since then not a singe straight paper is coming out of this printer, every single sheet going through the device is getting completely crinkled up and the text is all smeared. printouts are useless. i called dell for help but since the warranty didn't start with my purchase but with the seller's purchase from dell i'm not covered and they want to charge me $19 to start troubleshooting over the phone. they suggested to throw it out...
on November 8, 2014
Buyer beware this is a poor product. This printer consistently fails to print. I have connected wirelessly and via USB. The printer responds consistently with fuser errors (if it acknowledges the print request at all) and asks me to power down and power back up. If the printer sits idle for an hour, it will require hand on intervention typically a power down and reboot to get it to print.
on December 20, 2013
It is a pretty good printer, but the setup and interface for this must have been written by an engineer who has socialization problems. It would be so easy to just make setting this up easier, but instead, you either use the painful "Wizard", or you enter every detail in manually. If you choose manual, it won't even detect the ID for the wireless network, type, etc. Unnecessary for it to be so stupid. I suggest assigning a permanent IP on your home network (always a good idea for any computer...). I had problems with Win7 failing to recognize it once the DHCP changed the printer's IP address.
on December 11, 2014
My huge old printer is just 4 years old, working great, but my new All-in-One computer refused to accept it. Goofy, yes. Never mind -- I chose this because it's so small and for THE SMALL PRICE ! This will be perfect, once I get it hooked up. I still need my other printer to scan and copy, but this little one's perfect for most of my needs. I ordered it from Amazon, it came in a couple days, safe and at the perfect price! I'm happy.