Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

on September 12, 2014
Have purchased two of these printers. One to replace my old tired color laser and one to replace my father's ink jet.

First of all, LED and Laser printers use the exactly same technology to print the page. Only the light source to create the image on the drum is different. Other than that, they are essentially the same. Don't let it be the determining factor in buying a printer.

The printer is fairly loud for a laser, but no where near as loud as an inkjet. It doesn't have a dedicated paper tray, which I shouldn't complain about because of how tiny the footprint is. It will fit anywhere an inkjet will. Lastly, you must connect via USB to set up the wireless, which I suppose is not a huge issue but seemed kind of strange. Then again, you only initially set it up once, so I guess it's pretty minor.

The positives? Very fast and once it's set up it's done. I connect multiple devices via wifi and it always works. It always wakes up and prints. It draws very little power in stand by mode, so I can leave it on all the time. So it's very quick to warm up and fast to print, and those are big positives. Print quality is very good to outstanding. At 600 x 600dpi, black looks very good, but there are 1200dpi printers that do much better. You can't really tell unless you put them side-by-side though. The color output is outstanding. Service from Dell has been outstanding. The printer I use developed squeaky feed rollers after a couple of months and Dell shipped a replacement out at no cost--no questions asked. And the new one has been running problem free.

The original toner it shipped with lasted about 800 pages and the color about 700. This is exactly what is claimed by Dell. I have used $80 compatible replacement toner cartridges which are rated at 2,000 pages and that's about what they last too. Comparing this cost to inkjets, that works out to about 1/4th the cost of consumables comparing compatible toner to refilled ink cartridges (if you buy new consumable I would expect the difference to be even better). As for the drum and toner, they are not serviceable and should last 30-35K pages, or 3 years at 1,000 pages a month (6 years at 500 pages a month).

This is a great choice as a printer for home or light-duty office printing where you need a small footprint printer.
44 comments| 200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2016
If all you want is a printer that will print on plain paper, this is an okay machine and can be run economically if you buy dupe ink cartridges. HOWEVER - if you ever wish to print on card stock or any other material, this is not the printer you want.
I was up til one in the morning trying to print the new month's calendars for my yoga studio and could not get the machine to accept light card stock.
This morning I got in touch with Dell customer support and they had me running in circles getting service tag numbers and the exact name and weight of the card stock before they finally just came clean and told me to stop trying - the machine doesn't print on anything other than ordinary letter paper. I wish they had just been upfront with that fact. This is not the machine I'd have gotten if that limitation had been made obvious.
It's nice enough doing what it does, but now I need a printer for the other function we use a printer for.
Not pleased about that.
22 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2016
Cheaply made. Cannot get it to remain connected wirelessly. (I can only get a USB connection to operate). Upon trying to reinstall and program from the menu screen, I now have a non working printer at all with error codes telling me to contact customer service. I looked up the codes, and printer needs the Multi Protocol Card reinstalled and firmware updates...BRAND NEW OUT OF THE BOX! I have yet to hear from the seller (Special Gift Box) regarding a return....one full business day to respond. I am very unhappy with the product and the seller!
review image review image
on March 15, 2017
I bought this to replace my inkjet printer that was less than a year old. I don't print that much and the darn jets keep getting clogged. It gets expensive when I have to replace cartridges that still have plenty of ink in them. I finally decided to spend a bit more and get this printer. Problem solved. Printing just got a whole lot cheaper in this house. Set up was a breeze. I'm using it as a usb device, not wireless. It prints at least 10 times faster than the inkjet, and even though they say it's not supposed to be as good for pics, I find that it's better. It's much quieter. Although it's bigger than the other printer, it occupies the same footprint.

There is only one downside, and that is the way the paper hangs out the front. I leave it closed up, like in the picture, until I want to use it, then open the door and put in the paper. This is a quality product at a low price. They are particular about what paper should to into it, but I found the stuff I had been using - general purpose printer paper - worked just fine.
on December 17, 2016
The printer arrived in an apparently undamaged box, albeit one that appeared to have been opened before. I prepared the printer for use following directions in the quick start guide. The directions for setting the printer up to use wi fi say to install the printer software and drivers on a computer first, then turn the printer on and watch for a blinking blue light above the small LCD display, then connect. Immediately after turning the printer on, I instead saw a blinking red light and Error Code 007-371 with a message to try again and if the error repeats, contact Dell Support. The error repeated. I tried unplugging, plugging back in, starting again. I also tried connecting with USB. Setup of any kind was impossible. Whatever the error code signifies is serious and the printer will do nothing but show the error code until whatever is wrong is fixed..

I looked in the accompanying documentation and online for what the error code indicates. In the manual, 007-371 is among a very long list of error codes for this printer for which no explanation of any kind is offered. Online, I found a forum post for that error code on an older Dell printer. That post indicated some kind of problem with the printhead assembly, and said disassembly of the printer and repositioning of the printhead was necessary. I was not about to undertake anything like that. So, I went to Dell Support on the Web.

The young man at Dell Support who tried to help me in a chat session was polite but clearly a screener who knew little about the printer or troubleshooting the printer. On seeing my description of the problem and the error code there was a lengthy pause followed by a question: Did I plug the printer directly into a wall outlet? (Answer: yes.) He failed to answer my direct question about what, exactly, the error code means. When I asked a second time, he took a time out to talk to someone else. When he came back he said he was escalating the problem to a higher level of support and that I would receive an e-mail in 24 hours. That was on a Friday. Shortly after closing the chat session I received an e-mail from the screener saying if he could help in any other way to e-mail him. Twenty four and a half hours later, with no sign of an e-mail from a higher level of support at Dell, I sent an e-mail to the screener. Two hours after that with nothing more from Dell Support at any level I went to Amazon seeking to return the printer. That, I'm glad and relieved to say, went off without a hitch.

I'm rating this printer one star mainly due to dissatisfaction with Dell's lack of documentation for the error code and a support setup that failed to say just return it when that clearly was the only proper solution. I'm sure that if an explanation for the error code had been available to the screener, he or his supervisor would've just told me to send it back.
My wife belatedly told me today that we had gotten two or three messages on our home phone from Dell Support, the first apparently having been during the week following my support chat session. Whoever left the messages said they couldn't e-mail me because they did not have a working e-mail address. That's hard for me to understand because, before getting to where I could chat with support, I had to fill in a Web page form on Dell's site with my name, address, phone number, e-mail address, printer model, serial number, and so on. And, Dell's screener was able to e-mail me back after the chat session without any problem. My only guess is that Dell's higher level of support didn't think of looking on Dell's Web site form to check my e-mail address, or else isn't aware there's a form on the site where my e-mail address could be checked.
on May 31, 2017
This is a nice and small color laser printer. I use it as a backup. I also use it as a wifi based printer for other computers. It is very easy to install and it works seamlessly. The prints are clear and compare well to my larger printer, an older HP. The replacement color cartridges are not that costly. For occasional use and as a wifi based printer this is in my experience and ideal unit. The cost is especially attractive. As a general note that I keep this printer near a window and just to avoid any cartridge degradation due to UV I have a cover.
on March 13, 2017
Fantastic entry level color laser printer. We are happy with it and have been using it sparingly for student projects. I work with kids who need a little extra help to get by and this little work horse helps me put together learning projects quickly and affordably. The wifi printing is very convenient. Setup took about 25 minutes. The draft mode produces prints that are good but it does leave very small white blotches / streaks on pages. Normal mode seems to be fine. I bought this printer because it was at a good price point and the availability of generic inks for it.

If you found my review as helpful please mark it as such.
on June 1, 2014
Print quality is good. I have an HP P1102W monochrome and am replacing it with this Dell. It is only slightly bigger in both length and width than the HP P1102W, so it takes up about the same amount of cabinet space and gives me a color option without having to have an additional inkjet device. With the paper output extension unfolded, it takes up about 3 more inches in height than the HP P1102W, but the printer can easily be used for smaller print jobs without the paper output extension being used. It has a priority sheet feeder which fully recesses into the printer easily which is useful for envelope printing, and envelope printing is pretty easy and on par with the HP1102W. When folded up as in the picture, the paper tray is full enclosed, so there are no additional accessories which need to be stored outside the printer. Manual duplexing is an option; however, the intermediate step requires using the printer panel as opposed to either the printer panel or the software. That's a minor issue, and I still like the printer and print quality overall. Wired and wireless connections were easy to set up on my Windows 7 64-bit system. Shipping was truly excellent - I placed the order at 9:00 am and received it by 5:00 pm the next day using the standard shipping option (in other words, shipping was better than amazon prime). I opted for this model instead of the C1660W because of the paper handling/bypass tray options and the higher-capacity toner cartridges available for this model.
on July 22, 2016
I've been searching for a low-cost high quality color laser printer and think I've found it in this Dell. The print quality is very good and the replacement toner cartridges are quite cheap if you get generics. Easy to install too. My black starter toner cartridge admittedly did not last long at all but it's probably because it was a starter. First page out is not fast nor are subsequent pages but that's an easy sacrifice for the quality and price you get with the unit. Wish it had duplexing but the manual duplex feature is extremely easy to use and I haven't had a jam yet. Definitely recommend.
on February 28, 2017
Bought this color printer for crafting purposes. While there are different settings to allow you to pick different types of paper, I have found that it sometimes has difficulty picking up some of my cardstock, especially if I'm trying to do dual-sided printing, even if I try to straighten my cardstock. My other laser printer has no problem with dual-sided printing. The graphics are really great when you print in color. When I tried to do the highest quality black and white for foiling, it is very spotty. But, so far, it's worked for other purposes.