Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

on September 12, 2014
Have purchased two of these printers. One to replace my old tired color laser and one to replace my father's ink jet.

First of all, LED and Laser printers use the exactly same technology to print the page. Only the light source to create the image on the drum is different. Other than that, they are essentially the same. Don't let it be the determining factor in buying a printer.

The printer is fairly loud for a laser, but no where near as loud as an inkjet. It doesn't have a dedicated paper tray, which I shouldn't complain about because of how tiny the footprint is. It will fit anywhere an inkjet will. Lastly, you must connect via USB to set up the wireless, which I suppose is not a huge issue but seemed kind of strange. Then again, you only initially set it up once, so I guess it's pretty minor.

The positives? Very fast and once it's set up it's done. I connect multiple devices via wifi and it always works. It always wakes up and prints. It draws very little power in stand by mode, so I can leave it on all the time. So it's very quick to warm up and fast to print, and those are big positives. Print quality is very good to outstanding. At 600 x 600dpi, black looks very good, but there are 1200dpi printers that do much better. You can't really tell unless you put them side-by-side though. The color output is outstanding. Service from Dell has been outstanding. The printer I use developed squeaky feed rollers after a couple of months and Dell shipped a replacement out at no cost--no questions asked. And the new one has been running problem free.

The original toner it shipped with lasted about 800 pages and the color about 700. This is exactly what is claimed by Dell. I have used $80 compatible replacement toner cartridges which are rated at 2,000 pages and that's about what they last too. Comparing this cost to inkjets, that works out to about 1/4th the cost of consumables comparing compatible toner to refilled ink cartridges (if you buy new consumable I would expect the difference to be even better). As for the drum and toner, they are not serviceable and should last 30-35K pages, or 3 years at 1,000 pages a month (6 years at 500 pages a month).

This is a great choice as a printer for home or light-duty office printing where you need a small footprint printer.
44 comments| 204 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2016
If all you want is a printer that will print on plain paper, this is an okay machine and can be run economically if you buy dupe ink cartridges. HOWEVER - if you ever wish to print on card stock or any other material, this is not the printer you want.
I was up til one in the morning trying to print the new month's calendars for my yoga studio and could not get the machine to accept light card stock.
This morning I got in touch with Dell customer support and they had me running in circles getting service tag numbers and the exact name and weight of the card stock before they finally just came clean and told me to stop trying - the machine doesn't print on anything other than ordinary letter paper. I wish they had just been upfront with that fact. This is not the machine I'd have gotten if that limitation had been made obvious.
It's nice enough doing what it does, but now I need a printer for the other function we use a printer for.
Not pleased about that.
44 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2016
The printer arrived in an apparently undamaged box, albeit one that appeared to have been opened before. I prepared the printer for use following directions in the quick start guide. The directions for setting the printer up to use wi fi say to install the printer software and drivers on a computer first, then turn the printer on and watch for a blinking blue light above the small LCD display, then connect. Immediately after turning the printer on, I instead saw a blinking red light and Error Code 007-371 with a message to try again and if the error repeats, contact Dell Support. The error repeated. I tried unplugging, plugging back in, starting again. I also tried connecting with USB. Setup of any kind was impossible. Whatever the error code signifies is serious and the printer will do nothing but show the error code until whatever is wrong is fixed..

I looked in the accompanying documentation and online for what the error code indicates. In the manual, 007-371 is among a very long list of error codes for this printer for which no explanation of any kind is offered. Online, I found a forum post for that error code on an older Dell printer. That post indicated some kind of problem with the printhead assembly, and said disassembly of the printer and repositioning of the printhead was necessary. I was not about to undertake anything like that. So, I went to Dell Support on the Web.

The young man at Dell Support who tried to help me in a chat session was polite but clearly a screener who knew little about the printer or troubleshooting the printer. On seeing my description of the problem and the error code there was a lengthy pause followed by a question: Did I plug the printer directly into a wall outlet? (Answer: yes.) He failed to answer my direct question about what, exactly, the error code means. When I asked a second time, he took a time out to talk to someone else. When he came back he said he was escalating the problem to a higher level of support and that I would receive an e-mail in 24 hours. That was on a Friday. Shortly after closing the chat session I received an e-mail from the screener saying if he could help in any other way to e-mail him. Twenty four and a half hours later, with no sign of an e-mail from a higher level of support at Dell, I sent an e-mail to the screener. Two hours after that with nothing more from Dell Support at any level I went to Amazon seeking to return the printer. That, I'm glad and relieved to say, went off without a hitch.

I'm rating this printer one star mainly due to dissatisfaction with Dell's lack of documentation for the error code and a support setup that failed to say just return it when that clearly was the only proper solution. I'm sure that if an explanation for the error code had been available to the screener, he or his supervisor would've just told me to send it back.
My wife belatedly told me today that we had gotten two or three messages on our home phone from Dell Support, the first apparently having been during the week following my support chat session. Whoever left the messages said they couldn't e-mail me because they did not have a working e-mail address. That's hard for me to understand because, before getting to where I could chat with support, I had to fill in a Web page form on Dell's site with my name, address, phone number, e-mail address, printer model, serial number, and so on. And, Dell's screener was able to e-mail me back after the chat session without any problem. My only guess is that Dell's higher level of support didn't think of looking on Dell's Web site form to check my e-mail address, or else isn't aware there's a form on the site where my e-mail address could be checked.
33 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2017
This is a nice and small color laser printer. I use it as a backup. I also use it as a wifi based printer for other computers. It is very easy to install and it works seamlessly. The prints are clear and compare well to my larger printer, an older HP. The replacement color cartridges are not that costly. For occasional use and as a wifi based printer this is in my experience and ideal unit. The cost is especially attractive. As a general note that I keep this printer near a window and just to avoid any cartridge degradation due to UV I have a cover.
on March 13, 2017
Fantastic entry level color laser printer. We are happy with it and have been using it sparingly for student projects. I work with kids who need a little extra help to get by and this little work horse helps me put together learning projects quickly and affordably. The wifi printing is very convenient. Setup took about 25 minutes. The draft mode produces prints that are good but it does leave very small white blotches / streaks on pages. Normal mode seems to be fine. I bought this printer because it was at a good price point and the availability of generic inks for it.

If you found my review as helpful please mark it as such.
on June 1, 2014
Print quality is good. I have an HP P1102W monochrome and am replacing it with this Dell. It is only slightly bigger in both length and width than the HP P1102W, so it takes up about the same amount of cabinet space and gives me a color option without having to have an additional inkjet device. With the paper output extension unfolded, it takes up about 3 more inches in height than the HP P1102W, but the printer can easily be used for smaller print jobs without the paper output extension being used. It has a priority sheet feeder which fully recesses into the printer easily which is useful for envelope printing, and envelope printing is pretty easy and on par with the HP1102W. When folded up as in the picture, the paper tray is full enclosed, so there are no additional accessories which need to be stored outside the printer. Manual duplexing is an option; however, the intermediate step requires using the printer panel as opposed to either the printer panel or the software. That's a minor issue, and I still like the printer and print quality overall. Wired and wireless connections were easy to set up on my Windows 7 64-bit system. Shipping was truly excellent - I placed the order at 9:00 am and received it by 5:00 pm the next day using the standard shipping option (in other words, shipping was better than amazon prime). I opted for this model instead of the C1660W because of the paper handling/bypass tray options and the higher-capacity toner cartridges available for this model.
on August 8, 2017
I bought one of these used first - it died out of the box. But they refunded my money, so I bought another and it has been working fine. I didn't think about the difference to the inkjets though - you can't write on the printed surface very easily. Marker works ok. I like it for pictures too. They come out looking very nice. No stripes like the inkjet.

I was surprised how inexpensive the toner cartridges are. I paid $25 for two black and one each of the colors. They are the larger ones - I was doing a lot of printing so I used up the small ones in the original printer and in this one and finally started on the larger ones. Pretty good, I would say.

I wanted to use this for making toner transfers to make printed circuit boards. Unfortunately, the plain paper printer doesn't do as well as the HP for that purpose. I tried everything that I could find on the internet. Finally gave up and went to negative film. Unfortunately, this printer cannot make the mask dark enough to make it work, so an HP printer is needed or use a special linotype-like process to make the dark negative. Kinda disappointing, but right after I bought this printer, my inkjet quit printing (second one of those) - now it is a big scanner and this printer fit right in.
on July 4, 2017
This printer was purchased at a really good price, NIB. Sofware and wifi set up were super simple. The print quality was great, while not the best I have ever seen, its crisp, clean and the toner is not to crazily priced like inkjet printers that drink it like water. It prints a little slow, but thats ok. For $100 it was an unbeatable deal on a quality name brand printer with a year warranty from Dell. I recommend it.
on April 25, 2017
I use this at work. I don't do high volume printing on this, as we have a commercial printer in the office. I primarily use it to print small documents (a couple of pages) that I want in my hand quickly without walking across the room to the commercial printer. I use this for both monochrome and color, and both are wonderful. The prints come out quickly, are clean and bright, and I haven't lost connection to the printer a single time (connecting wirelessly from my laptop). I can't say the same for the commercial printer I try to avoid using. Set up (Windows 10) was a breeze, and I had the wireless connection set in no time.

Be aware that you have to manually feed the printer to duplex, which isn't a problem if you are able to set the printer up near where your computer is set up. The one issue with this that you need to know is that, at least for me, the way you feed documents for duplex PDFs is different from duplex Word documents (one you have to spin the page and the other you don't.) I don't know why this is, but being aware of it, it isn't a problem at all. I love this printer, and for the price, it really can't be beat.
on January 29, 2014
I got this printer to have a reliable color printer that could easily be accessed by family members throughout the house.
I am always nervous about setting up new hardware, but the physical setup went very quickly and easily and the software installation went smoothly for the first computer. Because some of the instructions in the software installation are a bit unclear, it took us a couple of tries to get it installed on the next computer, but one we figured out the combination, everything was fine. Overall, the setup and installation took less time than I expected to spend.
The quality of the prints is very good, if anything they are slightly better than I had expected.
Some people have commented on noise levels, but I have this printer located in my den next to my mono laser printer, within reach of my desk, and the printer noise levels are not objectionable at all (at least to me) and certainly no worse than the other printer.
When sending print jobs wirelessly, it takes the printer a little time to wake up and do the print, but no worse than I would expect. And the page speed meet our needs for home printing with multiple users accessing the printer sporadically. (Print speed might be a stretch in a busy multi-user office environment.)
We have only had it in operation for about 3 weeks but it seems to perform as expected. (For those who remember televised coverage of manned space flight, "operation is nominal." In other words, it works like it is supposed to work.)
And we managed to catch this printer on a very good deal, for considerably less money than I had originally expected to spend. Another bonus.
I would recommend this printer to my friends.
Now if I can convince my boss that I should have one like this on my desk at work ...
33 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse