Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dell D620 Laptop Duo Core with Windows XP
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 13, 2008
The Dell Latitude line of notebooks are well built business machines. The Latitudes and XPS lines are a tier higher than the entry-level Inspiron Series.

The case is constructed of metal with plastic trim along the LCD monitor. There are 4 USB ports which allow for a variety of peripherals to be attached such as portable hard drives. There is a headphone and microphone jack and an outlet for a monitor. The keyboard is comfortable to the touch. In addition to the mousepad, there is a pointing stick with 2 buttons below the space key, allowing for either to control the cursor. The 'spill proof' keyboard is one of the biggest assets (I have only spilled a drink on it once, where I just wiped off the keyboard without a problem in function).

The WIFI capabilities is reliable and easy to set up. The hard drive is quiet, as is the optical drive. The strike zone hard drive is resistant to light drops.

Performance of the notebook is excellent with the Dual Core processors. This notebook easily handles virus scanning, working on a MS Office document, internet browser and listening to music without any problem. The integrated graphics allows for basic games like Tiger Woods Golf, Mafia, NHL Hockey, the Godfather, for example.

Battery life is very good for the 6 cell (about 4 hours).

One of the greatest attractions that I have for this line of notebooks is the lack of 'bloatware' - unnecessary programs that are installed into your computer (trial programs, multiple internet service providers, advertisements, etc).

Overall, with a spill resistant keyboard and drop zone hard drive, this notebook will take the daily knocks of the regular commuter. This is no Panasonic Toughbook but it will survive your daily use.

VERDICT

Highly recommend this notebook.
1313 comments| 376 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2010
I purchased the D620 for my daughter in college when her 2 yr old HP notebook died due to an overheating problem (long story). After verifying that the D620 worked properly by connecting to the internet and installing XP SP 3, I moved over one of the RAM chips (for a total of 1.5 GB) and the harddrive from the HP. I then installed Windows 7 and recovered her data files (I didn't really expect a college student to use the flash drives that I gave her for backups). Finally, I installed software including Office 7. Throughout the process the D620 performed flawlessly. I tested it by running DVDs, Office apps and videos over the internet (after I set up a wireless connection). This is one fine notebook, very fast and with a good display. Its only "short comings" are obvious from the specs, i.e., no web cam, no media slots and no DVD burner. But these are clearly minor issues given the price.
22 comments| 209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2011
I didn't have a lot of money to spend on a computer and all of the chain stores that I had gone into to buy a computer did not have the service or the selection that I wanted. I was hesitant to purchase a computer "on-line" but now I am glad that I did. The computer was exactly what I wanted (Amazon gives you more information up front on what you are purchasing than any other place that I had tried), and I received it within two days. I have not had one problem or complaint. Well done.
22 comments| 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2011
This is a secondary laptop for me, but is nearly as nice as my primary(which I paid ALOT more money for, new). I bought refurbished, and expected the unit to have a few blemishes, but it looks really great. One tiny scratch on top that I can barely see. Otherwise, the laptop booted up as if it had just come out of the store. The sellers dont garuntee the batteries, so I bought an extra one for it, but, come to find out, the battery the laptop came with is fine. Now I have two. I also upgraded the laptops ram to 4gig. Probly didnt need to, for what Ill use the laptop for, but the ram was cheap so there was no reason not to. As far as how the computer works, its great. Was nice and clean, and everything comes up fast. Im no computer expert, so I cant list a whole bunch of technical details for you, but I like the laptop very much. Its everything it was advertised to be, attractive, and works very well for everything I use it for.

UPDATE: Nearly two years after purchase, this laptop is still working wonderfully for me. It has given me no issues or problems. I did buy a fan cooler to go underneath it but not because the unit was overheating. I just like to be safe.
on February 10, 2010
I used the same laptop at work for the about the last 3 years, and it is a work horse. I can buy a brand new commercial laptop for couple hundred bucks more, but I wanted the reliability of the professional business laptop. I have to say this used business machine Laptop works well except for 3 problems: First, the battery only lasts 5 minutes, second, the DVD burner drive work sporadically (DVD door doesn't eject consistently, and it doesn't always detect the DVD or CD in it). Handed the laptop to my 11 year old daughter few weeks after purchase (Christmas gift), so I did not find out about these problems until 2 month after purchase. Contacted the seller, but the warrantee had expired after 30 days of purchase, so I have to buy a battery and drive on my own. Third thing, the XP pro operating system was loaded on the computer, but the recovery disks were not included; I hope the hard the hard drive doesn't crash sometime soon.
66 comments| 204 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2011
Excelent ! Easy of use,expandible mem ram ,dvd/burner,a fast intel core duo 2.0 procesor,a great 224mb grafics adapter , with the best windows xp pro for anything ,fast and secure.
Upgradable to Win 7. Do recomend buy this
on October 18, 2009
To read one of the other reviews one would think the reviewer is talking about a completely different machine. My family has two of these and we have experienced none of the problems that the other reviewer has mentioned. XP is a very stable platform and we'll see if Windows Seven will live up to the hype. As far as poor sound I wonder compared to what? I've had several different laptops and netbooks and they sound tinny compared to the D620. Besides, I hook the machine up to external powered speakers to listen to my music library.
Let's face it. If Dell built poor quality equipment they wouldn't be in business as long as they have been.
This is one great piece of equipment.DELL LATITUDE D620 14.1" WXGA
22 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2010
Still working, no problems for the price I paid! Very sturdy too. I am sticking with Dell from now on. I have bought two Dell items from Amazon, computer and laptop, and they still work fine. Bought HP products (elsewhere) that broke within a couple months.
on March 27, 2011
Was easy to decide what I needed; the laptop arrived quickly, and is terrific. My son is using it; I just had a little bit of trouble getting the wireless set up, but managed to do it w/o help. Really useful, and lots of great stuff loaded on it. We will probably be buying another one for my husband soon!
on September 17, 2012
I.M.H.O.:
if i were shopping for a d620, i would steer clear of the machines that are equipped with the nvidia gpu. this link explains the mess: [...]*edit* they wont let me leave a link here so i will tell you to google "dell nvidia lawsuit" and i'll leave the link in the comments section. m'kay?

the machines with intel graphics are the ones i buy, and because of how this was handled, i have a pretty bad opinion of dell, hp and nvidia.
as far as my machines??, i love 'em.
mine have the 2.17ghz cpu and i'm running a ssd h.d. and this machine flies. it's really fast with linux mint13, too.
the size is perfect, the frame is metal (lid too!), the keyboard is very close to thinkpad standards (i.m.o. the best), it runs cool (45c right now), and it looks great.
mine doesn't have an sd card reader, but i put one in the expansion slot. it works great and looks factory. problem solved!
the screen could be a little brighter, but i have a separate luminosity adjustment that tweaks that in linux. so there.
conclusion?
with the intel graphics, it's a darn fine machine. it's very fast for it's age and a pleasure to use.
if the seller couldn't assure me as to which gpu the machine has, i would personally move on. just my opinion on the matter. research it yourself.

*EDIT* i came back and added a star. remember though, with the nvidia graphics, this would be a zero star machine. however with the intel graphics it's a totally different ballgame. it would be a bad idea to buy one of these babies without knowing for sure which graphics controller it has. please be aware of this.
*edit2* 5-26-13:
still going. i took the ram up to 4gb and installed an even faster ssd. this machine still works great. i'm still running mint 13, but i upgraded the kernel to 3.9.3. linux doesn't clog up like windoze.
i'll throw up a screenshot of my desktop to give you a peek.
i hope my opinion helped!
review image