Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dell Inspiron 17.3-Inch Laptop (i17RV-5457BLK) [Discontinued By Manufacturer]
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on March 3, 2014
I just got the machine and loaded the basic software I need to use with it. It runs fine so far. However, You should know that the textured-looking surface isn't printed on the computer. The surface actually is textured. So far, my cat hasn't tried to sharpen her claws on it, but...fingers crossed.

UPDATE: I've had it for a week now and am pretty pleased with it. I failed to note in my original review what you don't get that you do get on many other laptops. There is no video out port other than the HDMI port. There is also no ExpressCard slot which is how you'd normally be able to add, for example, FireWire capability. You can forget that. This is probably not a major problem for most people, but you should know.
on April 25, 2014
I'm pretty hard on my laptops so every couple of years I buy a new one. Therefore I don't want to spend a lot of money.
This is my first Dell in about 10 years and I really like the computer. It's fast, a solid build and so far...trouble free (about 5 weeks old and used continuously). I love the large screen and great resolution. Keyboard has a nice feel too. Battery life about 3 hrs with hard use.
The only negatives are the textured case which is hard to keep clean and the Num Lock key has no indicator and sometimes I don't know if it's on or not. I'm not a huge fan of Windows 8.1 however, I'm getting used to it.
Overall, a solid performer for everyday applications.
on April 23, 2014
First of all this is an excellent-value laptop, very snappy, light and eve though its 17 inch very portable.

If you're like me, and have an extra monitor lying around and want the versatility of dual screen, you wouldn't be able to use it immediately since it has no VGA or DVI port, only HDMI. That problem is easily solvable with a cheap dongle from AmazonBasics, doesn't have Bluetooth either, also solvable :)

get these accesories and convert this laptop to an ideal powerhorse.

HDMI to DVI adapter http://amzn.to/QxXKjb
HDMI to VGA adapter http://amzn.to/RLzBX6
HDMI to VGA monitor cable http://amzn.to/1rkB8Qh (compatible with 1080p)
Mini Bluetoth adapter http://amzn.to/1mDWclc

Obviously the star i removed was the lack of the VGA/DVI port, that's something for me very necessary to hook up to a projector when giving speeches, working with dual pane display, etc

I repeat once you get the adapter this comes out to be an excellent laptop, great buy

BTW: If you want the same laptop but in a 15.6 inch display, here it is http://amzn.to/Qy0JYL
on June 6, 2014
I heard so many problems with windows 8 but luckly this computer was preloaded with version 8.1 which is a combo of old and new. once you get used to it, it isn't to bad. We have a 8 -10 year old desk top computer and boy that this is so slow that I used my phone more to do stuff on line. So, I was some what used to the style of windows 8. This computer meets our needs and then some.

the computer itself should get 5 stars but with the problems I had to go throught to get it I had to give it 4 stars. Originally I had ordered a different lab top and when it showed up it never ran well. So, I contacted Dell and they said it wasn't my computer because it was still registered to someone else. Amazon did send me return labels later that day to send it back. I was told i would be refunded the $ the next day which did not happen. I finally got this one ordered a week later after I got my refund and finally talked to an Amazon rep. They did their best to correct the situation but it took about a week to do so.
on April 15, 2014
This is a very good computer, in fact the only thing preventing 5 stars is Windows 8, I hate it. I am seriously considering changing to Windows 7 Pro. Other than that, I consider this Dell product as excellent. The 17" screen has better viewing than my old 15 inch. It looks like it's tough enough to survive a 4 year olds handling. It also has enough power to run some of my graphics programs that would only run on my graphics work station before. Like I said, great lap top computer, especially if you don't need or want a touch screen. For the price, you can't beat it.
on May 3, 2014
I am glad that my Son chose this LapTop to purchase. I am just starting to learn to use it and see how pleasant it is to use. I am learning to use it now and look forward to soon knowing what I'm doing with it....
on May 29, 2014
This laptop is exactly what I need for going back to school. It's perfect for Internet research, paper writing, watching Lynda.com videos, etc. When the business is done, it also works great for casual gaming and keeping up with social media! My son played a little Minecraft on it; he liked it so much that he went into his room and came out with his allowance, that he'd been saving a long time for a new computer, and asked if I could order one for him too. I did. We are very happy with our purchases.

Kudos to Amazon: When I ordered the laptop, the first one I received was damaged. The screen had a huge area of white light - a lot of broken pixels! There was absolutely no hassle in returning it for a new one. The new one even arrived before I got the first one shipped back to them. I don't blame Amazon or Dell for the broken laptop. It probably just had a rough ride at some point during shipping.
on July 20, 2015
I've had the computer for a year, now. The speakers are too quiet, the power plug on the left is a pain in the butt, and the touch pad is too large; I frequently hit the right click button when I'd intended to hit the left. I would not buy it again.
on April 14, 2014
Great laptop for the price. Windows 8 takes a little getting used to, although seems ok now after a week or so of using it. Did not get the touchscreen model, so the software acts a little funny until you realize what is happening. All in all a good Dell as usual.
on June 23, 2014
I bought this laptop for my wife. It was to replace her six year 15 inch dell. She really likes it. It has a larger, brighter screen and is lighter. She has had it for about a month and a half and have no complaints.