Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 51 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 65 reviews
on March 4, 2014
I bought this computer because it was the best value that I can find! $650 for a fast i5 processor, 6 GB of RAM, a touchscreen, and a hybrid SSD/HDD drive is absolutely amazing. It is a little thicker than typical ultrabooks, but that is OK with me especially since it has more connection ports (4 USB 3.0, Ethernet Port, full-sized HDMI port, media card reader, and even an optical drive).

NOTE: The computer I received does not have a second (mini) HDMI port as described above, but it does have an Ethernet port.

I was deciding between the Inspiron 15z and a Macbook Air, and I am glad that I went with this computer and saved some money. For being $450 cheaper, the Inspiron 15z has the same Core i5 processor and even more RAM (6 GB compared to 4 GB). I can also see how the Macbook Air would have connectivity issues with only 2 USB ports.

PROS:
-I have not encountered a single bug (computer freezing, touchpad/touchscreen issues, software issues, etc) since receiving the computer a few days ago.
-The body of the computer is very sleek and is made of aluminum with a plastic underbelly. The backlit keyboard looks great and feels great.
-The SSD drive is absolutely amazing... the computer takes 10-15 seconds to boot.
-The factory speakers are pretty good for laptop speakers and are manufactured by Skullcandy. They can get pretty loud, which is a plus because I have had issues with previous laptops and not being able to hear clearly.

CONS:
-The touchscreen is pretty glossy and reflects some background light which obstructs the screen when viewing at certain angles. Though this is less of an issue when the screen is set to max brightness.
-As someone else mentioned, the integrated webcam is not too great.
on January 8, 2017
Bought in March 2014. Wifi drive just failed. Dell tech said it couldn't handle Windows 10. What?! We treated it with kid gloves, never dropped it, streamed movies or played games. No trust in Dell.
on December 31, 2014
loving my ultra book
on February 11, 2014
Excellent performance, lightweight, good screen image, well priced with lots of features.. As an IT Tech, I have bought several
of these laptops for my clients over time, and each client has always been very satisfied.. Plus, it comes with Dell's immediate phone or next day tech support should you need it; no delays as with most other brands..
on December 11, 2015
I light the lit up keyboard, the touch screen is just the right amount of sensitivity for me by default, and I like that it doesn't have a number pad. I do more typing than calculating and the num pad just puts everything off center. It also has good enough graphics and power as is out of the box to play World of Warcraft. I also have Visio, Visual studio, MySQL Server, Brackets, and other intermediate design/coding software. That said, it gets hot if you're gaming on it for more than a few hours. That's fine for me though. I don't play more than an hour or two at a time. On normal use without gaming, it gets pretty warm, but not hot. I haven't had any issues with it yet and have had it for 1.5 years. I almost always have it plugged in while I'm using it rather than relying on the battery. It lasts for a few hours as it should, but it does drain while in sleep mode. Since I basically never turn it off, I have to keep it plugged in to stay in sleep mode.
on May 13, 2014
This is an excellent laptop. It's fast and satisfies my needs, as I had carefully chosen its features to provide what I wanted. The non-removable battery is not so stellar, though. Seems to run out in only 2-3 hours, tops. I wanted to get a second, supplemental battery but as I said, this isn't the kind of laptop where the battery is removable. I can get another battery of the same kind, take apart the unit, and replace the battery. However, since the battery is currently new, another battery won't provide any better performance.

The laptop has a DVD optical drive, not a Blu-ray (for those interested in playing Blu-rays). I also wasn't as impressed by the hybrid drive as I expected. If you want a faster drive, I'd recommend an SSD. If not, save your money and get a plain HDD. Hybrids don't really make enough of a difference to justify the price. As I mentioned, though, the speed is adequate for my needs. (I use the laptop only for MS Office, paperwork, Internet browsing, listening to music, ripping my CDs, reading, and playing DVDs. I'm not a gamer.)

The 6 GB RAM is sufficient for all my needs. Love the touch screen, as this is my first laptop with such a feature. Screen resolution is great, and it's nice and wide. 500 GB hard drive is large enough for me, as I can always store additional files on memory sticks, USB drives, and/or CompactFlash cards. (Yes, it has a CF card slot.) The 4 USB ports, HDMI port, CF card slot, network cable port, and headphone jack are pretty much all I need.

It has a built-in microphone and no microphone jack, so I bought a USB headset with microphone for recording (from Target down the street). Works perfectly. Wireless Internet access is smooth. Speakers are great -- and the nice, equalized sound of music and videos over headphones is particularly impressive. I'm enjoying Windows 8.1, since this is my first time playing with it.

Haven't done much with the webcam and can't really comment on it.

As far as size and weight goes, just be aware that this isn't a light laptop like you'd expect an "Ultrabook" to be. It's as heavy as a standard model (and probably as heavy as the heaviest these days). That doesn't much concern me, though, because I don't often move it around, and I'm used to carrying a backpack with books.

Overall, I'm satisfied with this new unit. I'll be using it for years.
on March 4, 2014
Best laptop I have ever owned!!!! The screen resolution is awesome and I would recommend to anyone looking for a new computer.
on May 26, 2014
Although, its weight does not seem to support the "Ultrabook" ideal, it does have a thin profile with the benefits of many extras. The backlit keyboard is a must for me and the Dell is the best I've seen. If you are looking for an Ultrabook to carry around from meeting to meeting, this may not be your best choice. However, if you are looking for a thin quality laptop with touch screen and backlit keyboard, it is worth checking out the Inspiron 15Z.
on April 29, 2016
I purchased the Dell Ultrabook in March, 2014 and have had no problems with it, would purchase again. I was against getting a laptop because I have always had a desktop/tower but I love this computer, I am not computer savvy but I can easily maneuver through it and find everything I need. I did find that since I am having to make resumes up that I wish it had Microsoft Office but will find another option. I only have good things to say about this laptop, 2 years old now and going strong, it is used on a daily basis.Dell Inspiron 15z Ultrabook with Touch Screen/ Intel Core i5 3337U / 6GB RAM / 500GB HDD + 32GB SSD / backlit keyboard / Intel HD 4000 / 6 cell battery / webcam / WiFi / HDMI / Bluetooth / Windows 8 / Moon Silver
on October 3, 2014
Nice laptop but pay attention to previous reviews regarding WiFi; You constantly need to troubleshoot WiFi connectivity and it resets the WiFi adapter. I have tried numerous fixes and network upgrades to no avail. Other than that it works fine.