Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dell Inspiron i15N-1818BK 15-Inch Laptop (Obsidian Black) [Discontinued By Manufacturer]
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now STEM

on April 25, 2012
I love this computer so much that I bought some bright big loud flower stickers and put them all over the cover to discourage my husband from "borrowing" it!

POSITIVES:
This one has a superfast processor - my Picasso pics load up in seconds as opposed to minutes with my previous older laptop. The wireless internet is almost instantaneous. Youtube videos load and play zippity quick, and it plays most dvd's without having to add any special software.

The Windows 7 Home Premium pack is easy to work and I can open several windows of Internet Explorer simultaneously.

Matter of fact, I can pop back and forth between Amazon and Goodreads to copy and post some book reviews with practically no lag time. Netflix and Hulu play with no pauses.

There are plenty of USB ports, and on front, there's this little SUPER CONVENIENT SD card slot. I can pull the SD card from my camera, slide it in the SD slot just under the keyboard, and download all my pics and be done in under a minute!

It's lightweight and the battery lasts around 7 hours with constant usage.

NEGATIVES:
The big pretty girly flower stickers on my lid didn't stop my spouse. When HIS laptop battery ran out in a public place, he just stuffed his briefcase behind my screen to hide the flowers, then happily continued working on MY dell! (Good thing I had my Kindle.)
on April 4, 2012
The description of this laptop is inaccurate on Amazon's website. The processor is a Pentium B960 instead of a Pentium P950, which worked out in my favor. However the other inaccuracy was the screen resolution. The description says the display will do 1600 x 900 however the machine that arrived has a maximum display of 1366 x 768. This is not surprising based on the price point for this item, however it was one of the determining factors in my purchase so I was disappointed to not have received what I expected. I checked with Amazon and they felt the description was incorrect on the website and they told me they would enter a request to have it updated, it has been two weeks and the description still remains the same.

I elected to keep the laptop because despite the inaccuracies I don't think I will be able to find a better laptop at this price. It works well for the tasks for which it is designed, light computing. Web browsing is quick and responsive but don't expect to play any games on it. I find the screen resolution to be limiting as I expected but using the zoom feature of Google Chrome it is workable.

Expect the normal OEM bloat with free trial and vendor specific applications that will annoy you until they are removed.

Overall this is not a bad laptop, even if it isn't really the machine described on the website.
on November 27, 2012
I got the laptop days before i was supposed to :D but lets just stick to how great it actually turned out.

I love the processing speed (2.4ghz dual-core) and ram 3gbs. i've been playing Sims 3 with everyone up to Supernatural and even though a "Can i run it?" site said i shoudnt be able to, ive been running it all on medium graphics and it looks awesome and runs and loads fast :)

The keyboard is still a little uncomfortable for me but i'm getting used to. besides, im used to a netbook and since i wanted an Upgrade i can deal.!

the touchpad mouse is wonderful. as is the dvd drive.

my only problems were the dell bloatware installed (of course) which was quickly removed.

Also dell's setup of a windows 7. with my sister having a hp and toshiba windows 7 i know that its dell and not windows 7 that had a funky setup of sort. folders werent appearing in the windows 7 Libraries folder unless i restarted my computer (or later found out waiting about 30mins).

i've now learned that its windows 7 fault im having a hard time renaming my computer which is frustrating since i hate seeing "Admin" everywhere but im getting used to that too.

also dell didnt give any cd's and eithier the seller or dell didnt give out a manual. so i had to go to their site and download one which was a hassle of its own. (but im techsavvy and found out the name of my laptop and got them.)

The one last "problem" was/is the battery life. even with running on "Power Saver" and editing it to save my power i still only got 4-6 hours. on the "Dell" power plan i get lucky to get 2-3. so thanks to dimming it making a movie unwatchable and most movies are about two hours, they'll be no or little unplugging and watching a flick. atleast not without having the charger readily available.

Other than that (and thanks to previously having a netbook) I'm in love.! :D
on April 10, 2012
Good cheap laptop, gets the job done for a low budget. I was looking for a cheap laptop for a beginner and this one fits all the criteria. It is a good laptop for anyone who is looking for a cheap laptop
on January 11, 2014
I've had this for about a year now I love it. No issues at all. I eve crack my original screen by accident and it was so easily replaced on my own at home. Ordered a screen online for $50 bucks. Anyway yes great buy
on April 14, 2012
Dell laptops are one of the best and this one is great for the price you paid for. Nice keyboard, 15 inches screem, DvD rewritable drive, multigesture touchpad, 3GB of ram (up to 8), intel prossesor and more.
on May 15, 2012
Dell needs to get their act together. A lot of their laptops no longer work with non-OEM batteries, meaning that when your battery no longer holds a charge (usually happens in a year or two, depending on your use), you have to shell out a hell of a lot of money to buy an original Dell battery. You won't be able to use a non-OEM battery (which would be much cheaper). You will get this error message if you try to use a non-Dell battery in a Dell laptop:

"the model number for the primary battery cannot be determined. This will prevent any battery present from charging. Please insert a Dell battery for best system operation."

I'm never going to buy another Dell laptop. This is a deal-breaker for me.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on July 12, 2012
I took delivery of my Dell Inspiron i15N-1818BK two days ago. Tried to set my background using the function available on the desktop and it did not work. Called Dell support and spent 30 minutes with some guy from another country that barely spoke English. He tried selling me anti-virus and yearly subscriptions for tech support but never fixed the problem. After 30 minutes he informed me that there was a charge for him to fix the background function. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? He should have said that up front before wasting my time!!! Not to mention, I'm supposed to pay to fix a function that's broke????!!!

I have four other computers at home (Apple ProBook, Dell laptop, Dell PC and HP laptop) and use a HP ProBook at work. Never in my life have I had a computer that you could not set background/wallpaper on....no less pay someone to fix a function that came with the machine. Isn't this a basic function every computer in the world has? Can't wait to find out what other basic functions don't work.

I'll be sure to tell all my friends about this experience.
on July 26, 2012
I purchased this lap top on June, 24th. I really love it. It is just the perfect size and is very easy to use. I would recommend it to anyone looking to buy a new laptop. The price was right and I recieved it in just 2 days.
This was a great buy......
on February 21, 2013
I ordered this new laptop for my graduate school online. so far i love it!!! The color is a beautiful black colour!!!! not heavy. so well updated!!! buit in camera, buit it micro, sounds is very good, new apps, and you can open so many internet pages at once, you dont have to live the one you are currently on!!! I like it. The price is good for what you get. awesome