Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Display Size: 27|Style Name: Curved|Change
Price:$174.90 - $704.98

on February 4, 2016
I have been impressed with the picture quality from day one with this monitor. Everything looks crisper and more vibrant than either of my previous monitors (both of which were reasonably good quality). The sound is very good for built-in monitor speakers, and the dual HDMI ports have been handy for switching between two computers. Note that one of the 24" variants only has a single HDMI port; make sure you know which one you're looking at if that matters to you.

One other plus: it was very easy to setup right out of the box; I was almost able to do it with one hand.

That said, there are several things that prevented me from giving this monitor 5 stars:
- Limited adjustments of the stand; it tilts forward and backward, but that's it. No height adjustment at all.
- The buttons are a bit awkward, on the bottom of the bezel and hard to see at all. You basically use them by feel, which is ok, but slightly cumbersome.
- I wish it were easier to switch between the inputs. It takes 3-4 button presses and it's not at all convenient. If there is an easier way, it's not easy to figure out because of the awkward buttons.

A couple other things I wish I had recognized when purchasing (my fault for not reading the specs carefully enough):
- The stand only works in landscape mode. I guess a curved monitor might not work well in portrait anyways, but I hadn't considered that when I bought it. I like the ability with my old monitor to swivel it when I needed more vertical screen space.
- I miss the extra pixels that I used to have with my 1920x1200 monitors (vs. 1920x1080 for this one). It seems that the latter is the more common aspect ratio nowadays, but I do miss those extra pixels.

All in all, a very solid monitor, with great picture quality and generally well-built. If the caveats I mentioned above don't bother you, I'd strongly recommend it.
22 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2017
Update 3/2/2017***Changed Custom Settings Read Below

Pros:
*Very gentle curve not distracting
*Excellent color and viewing angles (not IPS good, but still excellent)
*TV-like black levels and contrast for movies and games (VA Panels superior in this respect)
*Thin Bezels / attractive overall look
*Solid feeling build with a good stand
*2 HDMI inputs
*Comes with HDMI cord
*Anti-Glare semi-glossy screen works great and NOT grainy
*1080P very optimum resolution for gaming right now, even at 27 inches
*Reading mode

Cons:
*No height-adjustment
*Built-in speakers just so-so
*Somewhat tricky to setup (calibration info not found, needed to experiment on my own)

This Dell monitor was the answer to my prayers. Its getting harder to find a 27 inch screen with 1080p resolution, as the industry moves to 1440p and beyond. But since I use my computer for gaming, reading, and movie watching, I really wanted to stay with 1080p for the time being. In the next few years when technology catches up, I'll switch to probably 4K and seek a 27-32 inch size as they become more mainstream.

I think it says something that I traded up from a Dell S2415H IPS monitor and am overall happier with this one. The 24 inch dell had a glossy screen that was like a mirror. Also, it was a bit too bright - no matter what I did, particularly at night, the "IPS glow" was distracting and took away from movie watching. Despite its excellent built-in speakers and beautiful image quality, it just wasn't quite optimal for my uses. I found myself using reading mode all day long and feeling "fatigued" anyway. I would HIGHLY recommended that screen since its awesome, but for my room, I just wanted something a) bigger b) non-reflective and c) VA-panel, NOT IPS.

Why VA? Primarily for the 2000:1 to 5000:1 contrast ratios that promise superior black-levels. I don't need perfect viewing angles or superior color since my work doesn't require it. I don't need retina-burning maximum brightness, lately I am finding it much more useful to have a better minimum brightness! Seriously - a lot of monitors seem way to bright for the rooms they go into. Maybe in an office environment you need 250/cd but in my room I seem just fine with a max around 120/cd. So I sold the S2415H to my brother who does photo work and took a chance on this one, after realizing that Dell's displays usually look better to my eyes, and my only other realistic option was a Samsung. In-store, the Samsung didn't really impress me. The SE2716H, on the other hand, once hooked up, has only gotten better as I've gotten more used to it. I did struggle at first, thinking something was off with the color / gamma levels. But after some fiddling and a re-boot, things were looking much better.

There is minimal info about this model out there, so I will report some details. The various settings look the following, to my eyes. Standard (greenish), Multimedia (Reddish/warm but nicer overall with a good balance), Movie (bluish, dynamic contrast super bright noticeable, annoying), Game (Reddish, dynamic contrast annoying), Paper (yellowish, less bright), Warm (reddish), Cool (bluish). Custom is my present Mode. I do R 96, G 94, and B 98. Contrast is 75, brightness ranges from 0 to about 30. It looks to my eyes most like Multimedia mode, but seems well balanced to my eyes (white seems white and black seems black), and I can stare at it all day without feeling super fatigued. I otherwise would probably use Multimedia mode or Paper mode in my day to day stuff. I also went into NVidia settings and made sure it was set to RGB "full" not "limited" mode. I now leave gamma alone at 1 (0.85-0.95 'darkens' the image and produces more punch if you want it), and reset saturation to 50% (54% was 'crushing' colors on some test patterns I noticed, and wasn't worth it). I am not going for the perfect gamma / DeltaE settings people, but I am trying to get something somewhat more accurate from this display. I'd guess that these settings are closer to being "accurate". Keep in mind that "accurate" these days (2.2. gamma, 6500k color temp, 100% sRGB space with DeltaE less than 1) might not be subjectively pleasing to your eyes. So, if you are happy with the stock image settings (not Standard, but Multimedia in this case, as with my previous Dell), I suggest you avoid getting obsessed with "calibration" like me.

The anti-glare screen is nice, it blocks MOST reflections or at least minimizes them on all but the worst days. It is not grainy. In daylight it works well and later in the day I see no reflections, just like I hoped. Reading in "custom mode" has been great, and the brightness range is a tad better than the old Dell (a more minimal "minimum"). Gaming and Movies are now awesome, with less distracting IPS glow and minimal backlight "bleed". The black bars in movies now actually look black, and shadow detail is much improved. The overall image seems very even from corner to corner, and I have notice no real shifting unless I TRY to view from an off-angle, particularly vertical angles. The overall image quality seems best at a slight difference, I would note. The curve might be somewhat gimmiky/uneeded, but it didn't detract from 6-foot viewing for a movie, nor is it distracting in practice, so I'm cool with that.

Its a shame there aren't more VA panels out there like this one - and that IPS is getting all the attention these days. These panels are fantastic all-rounders if you can handle the minimal color-shifting from slightly less than 180 degree viewing angles, and slightly less accurate colors. I can only imagine how awesome it will be as "quantum dot" and OLED type panels start trickling into monitors like these.

But this one while you still can at around $250, its a great deal and I don't think you will regret it!
on November 7, 2016
I bought the Dell SE2717H because it's one of the newer generation monitor that use direct current to power the LED to prevent flickering, which is better for your eyes for prolonged usage. They advertised the ComfortView mode which also filter certain harmful bluelight, but I "think" it's a filtering, not a shift, which more expensive monitors have, so the colors look very bad with it. Fortunately, I have a colorimeter and use the program "DispcalGUI" to correct the color on that mode. Now I have the benefit of filtering some harmful blue light and good colors. If you don't have a colorimeter, you can use 'warm' mode which looks better, or use "f.lux". It also have the benefit of being 75Hz for 1080p, which help further and make gaming a lot smoother.

Overall, nothing special in term of color reproduction, it is only a 6bit monitor. The port choices are also poor, limiting you to VGA and HDMI only. I think AOC has better colors and contrast, but the reason I bought this is because of flicker free and 1080p @ 75Hz while still IPS.
on January 18, 2017
not a fan of dell laptops but this monitor is great! We wanted a pc monitor similar in size to our imac and this fit. The picture is the best I have seen for the price. would recommend and buy again if needed another monitor.
on December 25, 2015
I wasn't sure what to expect since this product has only been out for a few months. I did tons of research to find a 27" that met my needs. I am extremely satisfied with the purchase. I bought an S2715H (older model) to compare side by side. This monitor was perfect for me because it met almost all of the key requirements I was looking for my setup: It needed to be at least 27 inches (so I could sit far back in a desk chair to avoid eye strain but still enjoy a "big screen" effect. I needed full 1080p resolution, with 2 HDMI ports (so I could switch between laptop and Xbox input, and it needed to have "decent" built in speaker (to avoid buying external speakers and preventing desk clutter).

Regarding the "curve" which is a bonus that the older S2715H didn't have: It's really not that noticeable when you're sitting down. Surprisingly you really see the curve effect when you're standing directly above the screen (which probably isn't often for most users but does look cool).

In Summary:

Pros:
-Full 1080p
-2 HDMI
-Black Levels (much better to other comparable models like the curved Samsung 27". Does require experimenting with RGB and YCBCr settings and calibration)
-Color: Fantastic range if calibrated correctly
-Speakers (not the best, but can get sufficiently loud)
-Curve (looks cool from above the monitor)

Cons:
- Curve (barely noticeable when sitting down).
- Buttons (hard to press, located at the bottom and very tiny. Doesn't have touch keys and isn't as ergonomic or easy to find like the touch buttons on the older S2715H
-No USB ports for charging devices
VINE VOICEon November 6, 2015
Display Size: 27|Style Name: Curved|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After getting this monitor, I kept putting off setting it up because I could not decide where to put it. After opening the box, and putting the screen on the stand, I realized you don't have to put it any place, at least not permanently. At less than 15 pounds, you can move this slim Dell monitor wherever you want it, whenever you want it. It took less than five minutes to set it up, too. About one minute to put it on the stand and tighten the screw, one minute to plug in the included AC and HDMI cords, and about one minute to turn it on and download what was on the disk. When I turned it on with it plugged into my Toshiba laptop, the screen from the laptop immediately appeared on the Dell, too. I was ready to go!

I watched part of a Christmas special from my Amazon video library, played a few songs from my music library, tried out my Corel Word Perfect X7 using a wireless keyboard plugged into the laptop, played part of a DVD. Everything appeared on the screen perfectly in beautiful colors, and the sound is not bad either. It's not like listening with large stereo speakers, but I prefer it to my Toshiba speakers on the laptop. With the HDMI cord, you need no audio cord, which is not included, but there is an audio jack on the Dell in case you do need one. The jacks and the control buttons are all out of the way, which is good and bad. It looks good, but it's probably best you memorize the control buttons. There is a users manual on the disk that you should read to know what the buttons do. There's a lot of technical stuff in the manual, too, which I skimmed, since I'm not that interested in technical details.

This curved screen Dell is a beautiful, striking monitor. You sort of feel like you're slumming when you go back to your laptop screen. If you have a desktop, you'll get use to this luxurious screen really quick. I have an old Dell desktop with XP, but only intend to turn it on again when I want to get stuff off of it for good. It doesn't have an HDMI port, but this Dell monitor does have a VGA port, too. I don't know if the OS on a computer matters to this monitor, though. I have Windows 10 on the laptop, and as I stated, the laptop screen appeared instantly on the monitor screen, even before running the included drivers and documentation disk. I'm sorry I waited so long to take this gorgeous monitor out of the box.
review image
44 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2017
Purchased this monitor 5 months ago (November 2016) it was manufactured in August 2016. The screen developed issues with lines appearing, duplicate images, etc. I called Dell support to get warranty service. After 45 minutes on the telephone they determined that the monitor was in fact the problem and they would replace it. Before replacing the monitor they asked for a copy of the purchase invoice. Unfortunately, I lost the receipt so they would do nothing for me. I am disappointed with Dell's monitor quality and their customer support.
on December 27, 2016
Not sure why but this monitor has extremely poor blacks and such, the screen as an entirety is grayish, you can see in the attached photo (27" is in the middle) what I am referring to, I have adjusted all of the brightness settings (Brightness, Contrast, Gamma, Saturation, Hue) with no luck with making it any better, as well as cycled through the various preset configs.
review image
on June 20, 2016
Excellent for gaming, I connected my PS4 and played Uncharted 4, also connected my Dell Inspiron 7559 gaming Laptop and played Rise of the Tomb Raider and both games looks amazing with this Curved Monitor! For HD movies and TV series with Amazon Prime the picture quality is awesome! For the Internet, videos and music is excellent too, so this is the best monitor I ever had. The best price on Amazon for $229.00, excellent!
This is a truly a piece of art. It is huge and does take getting use to. The Dell SE2716H 27" Curved Screen is replacing an HP 21". I was amazed even though it was bigger, how much lighter and thinner it was than the HP.

The monitor arrives nicely packaged. It does not require any tools to put together. You can adjust the tilt of the screen but you can not not adjust the height up or down. Has VGA, HDMI, audio-in and headphone port. It states it has built in speakers, but I have a nice speaker system that I am using instead.

It thought it was an added bonus that it comes with an HDMI cable. I prefer to use the HDMI instead of VGA since it carries both video and audio signals.

The screen is just gorgeous. You can truly enjoy panoramic views without the picture coming distorted from different viewing angles. The view is just more enjoyable, bolder, bigger and in my opinion easier to view. I am not a big fan of curved televisions because you need to be in the center of it to enjoy it, so if you have family and friends viewing it too it does not quite work well in large group situations. However a computer monitor is different because usually one person is using it and is sitting in the the center of it. This allows a wider viewing angle like being in a cinema.

The only thing I did not like about this monitor is the placement of the buttons. They are hard to see and find since they are located on the bottom of the front panel.
review image review image review image review image
77 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse