Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dell Streak 5 Unlocked Android Tablet Smartphone (16GB, GSM, WiFi + 3G, Bluetooth)
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Joseph Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on May 27, 2011
I bought the unlocked version of the Dell Streak 5 with great anticipation. I expected that it would become my go-to e-reader and serve as a truly portable web access device. Despite the great strengths of the unit, I wound up having the strangest experience I've had with a piece of electronic equipment in 30 years. The problem was very simple: I couldn't keep the back cover (over the battery compartment) attached! It was impossible to attach the back cover securely enough to get it to stay on permanently. It might stay on for 10 minutes, or an hour, or more, but eventually it would fall off, causing the unit to power off while in the middle of a task. You can easily imagine how annoying this was.

I eventually went online, looking for answers to this problem. What I found was that so many other people had experienced the same problem, there were forums discussing this issue. There was even a Dell tutorial on You Tube showing how to properly secure the back cover. The problem was, it didn't help.

When I reported this to Dell, they were very helpful and promptly sent me a new unit. Even though I had a similar problem with the new unit, eventually I was able to secure it in place. Now that that issue has been resolved (at least for now), there is much to like about the unit. Dell, I believe, found the sweet spot between portability and viewability. It is a fine e-reader and web tool. If not for the back cover issue, I would give it 4 stars. It surprises me that Dell hasn't done more to promote this product!
on April 21, 2011
Love love love it! It has a big 5" screen but the phone is very thin. It fits nicely in my front pocket. The touch screen is beautiful and very responsive, which is really impressive. I owned an iPhone (I still own it) but I always wanted an Android device. Have tried Sony Xperia before and it's a disaster. All the issues I had with Xperia like lagging and unresponsive screen etc are nowhere to be found on Streak. Everything is smooth. The SWYPE keyboard is a genius! GPS is very accurate even without the data connection. I can use the Streak as an external USB device to copy and move files (not only on PC, but works on Mac too). Wi-Fi tethering is a breeze! I am seriously impressed by the built-in quality of Streak. But I do think Dell did a poor job to promote this phone. All we heard on Android is from HTC, Moto, Samsung etc but I am glad I chose the Streak.
33 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2011
Pros: large 5-inch display, crystal clear screen, GPS is very good and accurate, strong speaker sound, two cameras both front and back, android multitasking, dubbed as a USB storage device, tons of android apps to play with

Cons: large 5-inch display (I am not complaining, but my S.O. thinks it's too big to carry as a cellphone), the USB cable is a proprietary one and quite pricey if you want an extra one from Dell.

The 5-inch screen is big, or is it really? It works perfectly for me and a large screen has much better user experience when you try to do something on it, like creating some office documents on the go. Not to mention a 5-inch screen is much better for web surfing and watching videos and pictures. I have used the streak for about a month and really enjoy it. No need to carry MP3 player, GPS, digital camera, daily planner etc, it's all in one now. Technology is a wonderful thing!
77 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2011
I too would like to extend my congratulations to the designers of this phone/tab. It is a bit big for a phone but it is a device which you can depend on whilst on your feet. I have a background of blackberries, HTCs, ipads and the rest of them and I find this gadget as quite reliable for my business needs. Even the kids love its size and prefer its portability to the ipad. In a 5 inch screen you can edit documents, read books, surf the net (normal sites not only mobile sites, work on your email folders, and watch the world on youtube....
on June 19, 2014
I read the reviews as I always do; and I read more positive than negative reviews on this particular product. With this said, my only negative reaction to my purchase is the seller did not send me a brand new item; this alone should have been my first clue, a re-sealed box? So my affair began with no 16GB card that was not inside the phone as stated on the box. After I had it activated a week ago give or take a day; my battery did not want to hold a charge. Called Amazon and they jumped right on it, BAM! it was here in two to three days. However, after giving it a full charge I noticed that my sporadic usage seem to drain the battery more than expected. So I charged it up completely left it on over night; it was asleep of course; but my point is that the standby time should not have made a dent in my battery being that it was brand new and all. Next day the battery level was down to less than 30% Charged it again with the same problem. Now don't get me wrong this phone is the Maserati of phones. In terms of its capabilities: picture quality 5 Voice control 5 Apps for days 5 WiFi 3 it kept doing what it wanted to when I didn't; a bit like having a girlfriend who won't meet you half way. All in all I hate having to return it; but if there was an emergency and I was out in LaLa land; I would a fare if my phone died when I really needed it. Nonetheless. Amazon is totally being understandable about my dilemma and helping me with a refund so I can buy me an American made phone which is going to be Motorola G or X. Which will pretty much do everything the Streak will do, only with a dependable nature. So what, Dell is an American who outsources all of his work from manufacturing to sales and technical support. Bad, bad, bad! But hey I bought into it. Like Robert said " Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Naahhhh Nobody's fault but mine" P.S. Thanks Amazon good lookin out!! Their the only people that brought me through all of this; which is why I will continue to shop with them. Aja
on June 3, 2011

Having introduced to Android world thru Coby Kyros, I found the Dell Streak 5 to be a masterpiece and for sure as others have mentioned this phone lacked marketing. The biggest advantage for me using this phone is the 5 inches screen because anothing more than this would hurt my hand during prolonged use and anything lesser than this wouldn't give such a great feel; The moment I opened the package I was literally surprised by its awesome looks and edges, setup was very much easy and interacting with the smartphone was like slipping a splinter into cheese! The features it carried along was so good right from wifi connectivity, bluetooth and so on; This phone was able to pickup wifi signals even far off (thou argueably the router also is a consideration); It has got very decent, good and worthy apps as part of its bundle right from quickoffice which was a great plus; thou its a little bigger to use it as a conventional phone a bluetooth enabled headset would always compensate when paired! I dont use 3G but there is one thing that's worth mentioning if you are planning to use only wifi; AT&T automatically recognised iPhone and made the data option compulsory but when i used the same SIM with this smartphone (with WIFI only and disabling the carrier data services) they haven't forced any such data plans for the past 4-5 months; From my point of view there is only one thing that needs a little improvement, the speakers; Overall this is worth the money and it has become a part of everything that's in my schedule!
on May 30, 2014
First of all : this is not a phone with 16 gb internal memory. It has only 1.5 gb memory in it. when i stated to use with sd card , the device is not recognizing the micro sd card. It wil show preparing the card for 10 mins and its getting stuck..so at last I changed the firmware and updated with a custom ROM longhorn 2.9.3 final and now every features are working. camera as okay and just keep in mind that Dell discontinued the Streak 5 on as of August 15, 2011.So don't expect any kind of warranty. use it at your own risk.
on September 15, 2012
I like my phone, but I have a few issues...The volume is very low when I'm talking on the phone but the media sound is perfect. Currently, my carrier is simple mobile which runs on tmobile network and voice and texting, mms is great but the data speed is too slooow ( edge) now that I learned a little bit more,I'm switching to straight talk which runs on AT&T and according to what I have read, with att network, the speed will be faster(3G)because of the phone frequencies compatible with AT&T. I will be updating when I switch to straight talk.

Update 9/26/12
I switched to Straight Talk and the phone works nice. Data is faster than before. It works on H. I'm very happy with the change.
What I forgot to mention before was that when I bought the phone, the screen froze and I learned that you have to calibrate and problem solved!

Update 6/30/13
I had an other issue with this phone. It did not let me access my contacts for a while, I got the message (android.process.acore) every time I wanted to access my contacts. This is my solution: I did a factory reset. I lost all of my contacts but previously I email them to my self. Fortunately I did not loose my pictures. I lost apps that I bought, but I took a picture of my apps so I could retrieve them after the factory reset. I got my apps back. It takes patience but it worked for me. I also left the auto synk off before signing in with my google account (advice I got online) when I retrieved Nimbuzz app, it gave me the message again, but immediately I removed it and the message never came back.
on July 12, 2014
Bought it new, used with care, but after only 2 months it went on the fritz. Would no longer accept a charge. Too late to return it to Amazon, and shipping charges plus Dell repair costs would come to more than what I paid for the phone.
on July 1, 2011
I just love it!

Yes, it has a huge screen. That's going to make the device itself huge.

Impact damage. The Dell Streak is very susceptible to side impact damage. So get a good case for it like the OtterBox Commuter Case - Case for smartphone - silicone, polycarbonate - black - Dell Streak. Due to it's screen's tough Gorilla Glass, there is no need for a clear plastic screen protector film.