Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18 reviews
on March 20, 2013
I want to like this laptop, I really do. The build quality is overall good, it looks and feels like a premium machine. But it has some serious hardware issues that have been plaguing the XPS line for many years now.

PROS:
-The best looking laptop I have ever used. Everything from the gorilla-glass coated FHD screen, to the machined aluminum body and carbon fiber base oozes quality.
-Keyboard has excellent travel and adjustable levels of back-lighting, ambient light sensor detects when keyboard should be illuminated.
-Excellent port selection, gotta love the slot-loading blu-ray drive.
-Thinner than a Macbook Pro, and more powerful too.

CONS:
-One fan disperses heat from both the i7 processor and dedicated graphics card- poorly. Throttling IS present in this model.
-Heat dispersed by the fan is directed towards the display panel, over time this causes discoloration in the screen (ESP. visible in dark scenes in games and movies)
-Wireless card is improved over the previous version of the l521x, range is improved, but the card still under-performs.

Throttling and heat dispersion issues have plagued the XPS line for years and while a simple cooling fan remedies most cooling concerns, I beg to question why Dell is incapable of developing an adequate cooling mechanism for their top tier consumer systems. I am waiting for Amazon to send a replacement so I can confirm if these issues are as widespread as the support community says they are.

**03/23/2013 UPDATE**

Replacement came with scratches on the bottom lid. Replacement is exhibiting same throttling issues, with even worse WiFi connectivity than the model it is replacing. Extremely disappointed. Dell needs to fire the idiot engineer in charge of designing the thermal systems for these laptops.

How can something look so promising yet have such issues with basic functionality? This model has been out for over a year now, how is it these problems have not been ironed out yet? Is it any wonder Dell is losing so much money? It really is beyond me at this point. Both are going back.
on March 30, 2013
In case Dell wants to create a top-of-the-line laptop, the XPS15 is decent start. My suggestions for for further refinement:
1. The keyboard is about a 7.5 on the scale of 1 – 10 (10 being the best).
As far as available space goes on a 15 inch laptop, this keyboard could have easily been made larger.
Just a little more key responsiveness would also help.

The biggest drawback from my personal point of view is combining the arrow keys with PageUp/PageDown and the Home/End keys. Unless one is a real good typist, pressing Fn in order to do PageUp or End is not at all user friendly.
Another example: Shift+End or Shift+Home is a very efficient way to select text while editing (MS Word or otherwise). With this keyboard layout, one needs to press 3 buttons to do it. … why ?? there is tons of space for 4 more keys ….!

2. The wireless receiver is the worst I have ever experienced. I have photos to prove that my XPS15 is unable to ‘see’ / connect to Wi-Fi networks in various locations (even counties) where my age-old Sony or new Samsung Series 7 Slate Tablet gets over 7 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload speed.
I sincerely that this is a curable, short term problem, otherwise the portability of this device becomes a big problem. More and more places around the world only offer Wi-Fi connection, cable is no longer available.

Having said all of the above, this is a beautiful, very well made case. I sincerely hope Dell will be able to cure problem 2 above and we will just learn to live problem 1.
44 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2013
It is true that the wifi signal is a bit low, but hey, close to the router (10 meters) the signal is excellent. If you walk away more reductions in the signal arise. It has helped me and has improved this problem by checking: [...]
I also found other answers to improve, however, with the sign above my Dell improved significantly. I'm a multimedia designer and this machine is a sophisticated weapon. At the same time work with Premiere, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, listen to music and internet connected everything works perfectly, great speed 3632 core i7 processor!
Its 2 GB of GDDR5 video are amazing, highly detailed HD video in 1920 x 1080 for bluray disc, these cards are midrange maybe but to use them you will not believe that, as the highest yield, and design programs operate excellently.
In the Metropolitan Institute of Design, where I study, my Dell is much more than an effective tool.
A secret, is the ideal equipment to load and run the Macintosh operating system,
for this good price, I have my MacBookPro alternative!

Greetings from Quito, capital of Ecuador, located northwest of South America
Thanks so much Amazon
on July 9, 2013
I love this laptop, with only a few reservations. I'll start with the downsides: it doesn't have dedicated home/end keys...instead you have to use the Fn button, which shouldn't be necessary on a laptop this size. Also, it doesn't have quite the same battery life as the MacBook pro. Also it's a tiny bit heavier than might be optimal.

That said, just about everything else about the XPS 15 is awesome. It's fast, quiet, cool, and stable. The design is sleek, and build quality is excellent. The screen is full HD, and looks great. If you're in the market for a 15" Windows laptop, this is the one.
on January 28, 2013
Overall the laptop is nice; however, one glaring exception is the wifi card. The Dell 1901 card that comes with this is horrible. I have two iPads (2nd and 3rd gen), a Windows Phone, a Lenovo, a MacBook Pro and a MacBook which all connect to the router without issue at twice the distance from the router. While the Dell can only see my router, the rest of the devices finds 5-10 other routers in the area. If I'm more than 10' from the router, the Dell constantly drops the connection. Even if it can connect, then it's horribly slow. Totally unusable. I had to get a USB wifi adapter to make it even usable. And again, it can connect at twice the distance.

Dell replaced the card (the next day service turned into next week service, since I had to wait for the part to ship to the subcontractor and then the subcontractor to make an appointment with me). Unfortunately, they replaced it with the same model card, with obviously the same results.

I even replaced my trusty Linksys WRT54G (running Tomato) with a new Asus RT-AC66U router. Still no joy in Dell-ville.

Googled the issue and tons of people are having the same problem with this card. So, obviously it's a known issue. The fact that they're still using this card, especially considering how much I've paid for the laptop, is inexcusable.

Finally I got fed up with the phone tag and replaced the card myself with an Intel Centrino 6235. Works great. Sitting in the same spot (about 30' from the router) where the Dell 1901 would only get 1 or 2 bars (10-20% signal strength) and constantly drop connection, if it connected at all, now I get 4-5 bars (80-99%) and it's solid.

My next laptop definitely won't be another Dell.
on January 30, 2013
I bought this laptop because I liked the form factor and durability. I travel constantly, and the Lenovo computer I have has taken quite a beating, with plastic bits breaking off near the heat vent or around the USB ports. So I thought I'd get something that seems a bit more durable, so I chose the XPS 15.

Unfortunately I only was able to use it for a few days before the issues began. After a day of trying to diagnose why it would shut off, I realized that simply putting pressure on the lower left side of the bottom panel would cause it to immediately shut down, pressure such as placing your palms on the palm rest while typing, or picking the laptop up to more it to another place. Which is why one typically buys a laptop.

Dell sent a tech service guy out to swap the motherboard to no avail. It also made it impossible to re-install windows 8 because with a new motherboard my old product key would not work and it could not pull the product key from the new motherboard.

So now it has been sent off to the Dell Depot to try and be fixed. I have been told that it should work "perfectly" whenever I do get it back. Of course since they have had it serviced and are holding it at their depot, the return window is most likely closed and I am unable to return it for something different, If it does work when I get it back, I will re-evaluate this review.

Pro:
Durable, back-lit keys, beautiful screen.

Con:
My unit would shut down upon any pressure to the lower left side of the bottom panel.
on April 11, 2013
everything works good so far.
WiFi dual band work fine
some old router speed test its no the same as those new dual band routers
i notice some light bleed on the screen but i can live with that
i recommend this laptop
on January 8, 2013
I received the laptop, set it up and worked with it for a few hours. I turned it off in the evening and the next day when turning it on it would not boot. The hard drive was dead. Back it went.
on March 6, 2013
This laptop looks very nice and it works great. however, there a weird noise coming from the hard drive every time the laptop start up. Im looking into this problem right now to see if there is anything wrong. will update
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2013
I had a little problem..However, I called Dell support team. A very talented and knowledgeable technician came out from Worldwide Services, Bob Rudden..Friendly and helpful...Now I am back in service...Thank you...
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse