Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 8, 2014
I have no idea why everyone is complaining (various sites) about this unit being slow. It's not all that slow! They must be used to sextuple-core processors? And the problems with Windows 8 being difficult?...

Anyhoo, I was a bit hesitant about ordering this after reading those negative reviews on the processor and Windows 8 Operating system. First off, the computer I was used to was an older Dell (about the size of a bus! I saw the box for this and was wondering if I had ordered something in error. This baby is tiny! Maybe slightly bigger than an old-school photo album!

After plugging it in and breezing through the setup, I was really looking forward to testing the "negative" stuff I had read. I love the new Windows! I must add though, it would be even more wonderful with a touch screen monitor. After fumbling around for a bit with it, I picked up navigating and searching through most everything. It's setup simply put, like a smart phone. You can search anything and everything on the sidebar (after you figure where it is, LOL!) I have since then tested the processor speed, especially on the internet. I have DSL, and clicking on the Internet Explorer symbol will get me to homepage between 1-2 seconds. I, all at once, linked up my iTunes (sharing and importing my music from my old computer- roughly 16GB of music), was on the net, and downloading updates, etc. all with minimal trouble with processor & speed. If anything, the only thing I've noticed that was somewhat time consuming was starting the computer up. It takes literally a minute or two max! It was a little bit slower than my laptop which is an Intel i7 processor. Unless you're dealing with 3-D CAD/CAM programming software, I doubt you'll have any issues with processor speed.

Some other negatives I read were not being able to locate the USB ports and the CD/DVD drive. Really now? If you look at the pics here on Amazon, you will see BOTH buttons to release the USB cover AND DVD drive! I actually thought I wasn't going to be able to link up my 5.1 surround to this when I looked at the inputs in the back, but plugging the 3 wires in (using headphone, mic, and another jack) prompted a pop-up on the computer in which the computer read what the wire was for, and allowed me to select it for my surround! Works great and is controlled perfectly with the sound card that comes installed.

ALL IN ALL, this is a great little computer in my opinion, especially considering the price! I have no objections or negative comments and would easily recommend to a friend!
on February 2, 2014
I am happy with the Dell computer. It was not clear from the description of the product, but on researching the model, I hoped that there were USB ports on the front of the computer (not just the back), and this turned out to be the case, 2 USB ports were behind a swing out door on the front face of the machine (as well as the card reader and a headphone and a mike jack. I did buy a "cosmetically" damaged case, and this was the worst I had ever encountered in a refurbished product, (some obvious dings in the front plastic) but I was prepared to accept that for a slightly reduced price.

Functionally it has worked fine so far. I really like the small form factor, since I have to move the computer occasionally, and it makes adjustments to the connectors in the back easier. I use this computer for business software and record-keeping, utilizing the "cloud" for some of those services. I do not need a huge hard drive, nor a lot of RAM, but I wanted to have enough to go forward without having to upgrade for a long time, so I went with 4 GB RAM/500 GB HD. I do use dictation software which can use a lot of RAM.

The issues I might have would be the relative difficulty transitioning to Window 8 (from Windows XP), but that is a software issue (not having to do with the Dell hardware), which I knew would be a separate issue. Dell puts in an introduction video for Windows 8, which helps, but it is pretty basic. I felt I needed another more detailed resource so I got a separate introductory book on Windows 8. After working with it for a while, I don't think it is difficult, but it definitely is different, and you have to learn where things are for this System. For those Windows XP users that might be intimidated, there are still Windows 7 computers available (I believe there are fewer compatibility issues). However, going forward, lack of compatibility will only be increasing, so I decided to bite the bullet now, and get new software and hardware as necessary for this current environment. Using Microsoft.com's Windows 8 compatibility site beforehand was helpful in predicting what new hardware and software I might have to get. I.e., it is more costly than just the price of the computer, if you're transitioning from Windows XP.
on December 22, 2014
I wanted to use this for a while before reviewing it. I have had it for a little over a year now and it works great. My computer is used for college (i do most of my classes online) so I store alot of documents. I also store thousands of pictures, movies, etc...My computer is still running very fast and I have never had any issues with it. I was worried because it was cheaper than other ones but it was worth the price. I use it with a 30 inch LG monitor. I have had laptops and desktops and this definitely is the best one I have ever used. Usually by this time my computer starts running slow but it hasn't. I would recommend to anyone that needs to store alot of data on their computer and still needs it to run smoothly.
on October 27, 2013
Received the product within 24 hours (with Amazon Prime) - even faster than expected! Got everything set up without any problems. I'm now up and running, trying to get used to Windows 8 and figuring out how to install 8.1 and whether this is a free upgrade or not.
on March 10, 2017
If you buy this or any other computer, don't bother with a warranty from SmartGuard. I have been waiting since Nov9 -2016 for them to replace my computer, now March10 2017 they just take your money and lie to you
on March 28, 2014
I had an older computer that was dying and needed to replace it with an inexpensive computer. It's being used for my work (work from home), so I didn't want to pay a lot for it. I also required it to be able to have Windows XP on it. Our accounting software isn't up to date, and my MS 6 compiler doesn't like Windows 7|8. There was a lot of work on my part, to get XP drivers and such, on this. I wiped out its Windows 8.1 Home edition quickly to get XP Pro on it. It runs 24/7, and is fairly quick.
It's also a really small foot print. I've not had such a small computer before. I don't think I'd purchase this for a gaming machine. (I already have one for that). I don't regret the purchase.
on January 1, 2014
I HAVE USED DELL COMPUTERS FOR 12 PLUS YEARS. THIS ONE IS WORTH IT. FASTEST SETUP TIME WITH WINDOWS 8. EASY TO USE.
on January 16, 2014
I've always purchased HP in the past but saw this Dell for sale at a good price and bought it for my den to use with an old monitor. I really like it - very fast and does everything I've asked of it.
For some reason I couldn't get 8.1 to install but I called their tech support and the guy was great. Thanks to him my HP and Dell are happy with each other and I'm happy with both.
on November 26, 2013
The computer itself is fine. Windows 8 not a fan of. I did get my computer 2 days after I order so awesome on the delivery. There is a panel on the front it just takes some effort to get it to open. My major complaint is that there are no instructions on how to set up and that is Windows 8 that is so not user friendly. Other wise not problem booting up, still learning windows 8.
on February 17, 2014
This is a powerful computer. Fast. Everything I was looking for and for a great price! We ordered four for our small business. There was a problem with one and Amazon's return process made it quick and easy to get a replacement. We are working much more efficiently now with our new Dells!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.