Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 119 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 127 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 24, 2010
This is a review of the hardware, not the gameplay (which is great BTW). I initially bought the Attache version but the blue and black colors were too similar and hurt the experience. So I decided to give this set a try.

CASE: 3 stars. Looks nice and clean when stored away and better than a cardboard box IMO. It can stand on its side or lie flat. The leatherette is pretty cheap and not that durable (there was already a tiny corner torn off when I got it), but it's fine for game storage purposes and light portability. The handle and latches work fine. The case is unadorned with any markings - it would have been nice if "Rummikub" was printed on it somewhere to make it identifiable. The inside of the case is empty with no straps or holders. A bag would have been helpful to hold all the tiles so they aren't bouncing around in the case. The Attache version has a nice bag to hold the tiles and straps to hold down the racks. In addition, the Attache size is smaller, has a Rummikub logo stitched on the front, and is a soft case. Whether you like the Attache or Deluxe case is more a matter of personal preference than any significant difference in quality or practicality. I think the Deluxe case looks nicer on the shelf but the Attache case is a bit better for traveling.

TILES: 5 stars. Large numbers with easily identifiable colors on a pure white background. The Attache version uses a dark blue that is hard to distinguish from black. Not a problem with the Deluxe as the blue is very light and the green/red are easy to see also. The Attache numbers are smaller and the background has an unattractive yellowish hue.

RACKS: 1 star. First of all, the racks are too big and awkward. Secondly, they require you to insert 2 flimsy, skinny feet every time you play because you can't store the racks with the feet attached. The feet are very difficult to attach - they feel like they will snap in half when you try to attach them - so this becomes an obstacle to getting a game started. During play, the feet are unstable so you have to hold the rack when you arrange your tiles. Overall, the racks are a disaster. The Attache version has far superior racks because they lie flat on the table, easily stack and store away, and have 3 rows (as opposed to the Deluxe's 2) which allow you to organize your tiles better.

OVERALL: It's hard to recommend this set given how poor the racks are. If I were to buy a single set, I'd probably get the non-deluxe Rummikub Large Number Edition which appears to have the superior flat racks. Since I now own both the Attache and this Deluxe version, I have combined the best parts of both sets which works out great. I use the Deluxe tiles, Attache tile bag, Attache racks, and store it all in the Deluxe case.
22 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2009
I love Rummikub which we have played at a friend's house. But they have colored in over 25% of the tiles by hand to make the numbers different. Otherwise, it's really difficult to tell the red from the red-orange, especially in bright light conditions. So when I saw the yellow and red tiles on the Rummikub in the picture, I thought it would be as advertised, but when I received the toy, it was the same red and orange-red as my friends' cheaper set. Be warned!
on December 16, 2009
I was very disappointed in the quality of this product. I don't know how Pressman could have made such a good product in the 80's etc. and resort to such an inferior product now. My guess is it is now made in China. I gave the new Rummykub away and bought a vintage one on e-bay( for less money too).The tiles as well as the stands that hold the tiles are so much better.
on October 31, 2011
When I received, which was very quick, this game was just as it was described. I highly recommend this game and the supplier. For over a month now we have played four or more times a day. Seems we do not get tired or bored with it.
on April 9, 2007
I have an old edition of this wonderful game and wanted to get one for my son and his children. The quality of the pieces has really deteriorated since I got our original one many years ago. The pieces are very light weight. It's unfortunate, but I think that's just a sign of the times.
on June 27, 2013
The racks are not stable. They fall apart and therefore do not hold thr tiles upright making the game impossible to play. I have contacted the company and they are sending me new racks and rack holders.
on January 25, 2017
I live in a retirement community and was introduced to the game by one of my fellow residents. I'd never played it before but now I'm hooked. We have too many players that like it that we needed tables for others to play. Now we have three of four games going at once. This set is well made, the "racks" are sturdy. The tiles are well made. The only thing I would change would be to make the blue lettering darker. The light blue gets washed out under certain lighting. But still, I'm very satisfied.
on July 31, 2008
I was looking for a higher quality version of this game and this was it. The tiles aren't as heavy as I would like but it is very nice all the same. I wish I could get one like my Mom's set from the 70's.
on May 10, 2016
My senior friends and I love this game, but other versions have had smaller numbers and the red and orange looked too much alike. The numbers were painted on the flat tile and began to show wear very quickly. This set has black, red, blue, and green numbers that are easy to see and the painted numbers are recessed which seems to retard the wear. The tiles are thicker and much easier to pick up. I like the design of the racks, in that the other players cannot see how many tiles you have, but they are very flimsy and fall over easily. Some of my friends prefer the lower racks in other versions, but these tiles will not fit those racks. Also, a friend bought what looked liked this set OFF-line - don't know where - and it had the cheaper tiles with small numbers. I hope that does not mean that all the 'suitcase" versions have dropped the quality. If the tiles had been the smaller numbers version, I would have returned it. As it is, I really love this product.
on February 11, 2013
Rummikub is a terrific game, but it's just amazing how Pressman has botched the manufacturing of it.

We were replacing an old set that had confusing rules, tiles that revealed the numbers when they were upside down, tiles with the blue and the black colors too similar and racks where the legs were too loose and fell out easily during game play.

So, we bought this new set, hoping that by paying some extra to get a more deluxe version, the manufacturing problems would be solved. The tiles were very nice with big numbers and distinct colors, but the legs didn't fit into the racks at all. The ends of the legs were too big for the holes in the racks. Had to return it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.