Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 7, 2007, 6:11:01 PM PST
Bromptonboy says:
Does anyone know what the deluxe edition includes? As of the moment of this writing, it is not made clear on Amazon - save for the fact that it must have some illustrations.
Thanks in advance!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2007, 6:28:53 AM PST
M. Paris says:
Hey
The book seems to be one that will look pretty nice, although I havent seen any pictures of it yet, I do know that it is going to have a slip case and that on both the slip case and the book itself if I am not mistaken is going to be a color picture/design by Alan Lee, here is a link to a sketch of the picture: http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/18239

Hope this helps your decision about whether or not to buy it; although its a bit pricey I think its going to be worth it!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2007, 10:30:10 AM PST
BubbaCoop says:
Does the regular version NOT have illustrations by Alan Lee, because it says it does right on the cover?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2007, 10:31:12 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 19, 2007, 1:49:53 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2007, 5:17:50 AM PST
The Deluxe edition will actually retail for $75.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2007, 7:47:05 PM PST
D. Beatty says:
Is this a new story or a story contained in another book already?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2007, 10:14:13 AM PST
Bromptonboy says:
Apparently it is an expanded upon version of the original story in The Silmarillion - written by JRRT himself, but now edited and presented by his son Christopher.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2007, 12:59:11 PM PDT
Elbereth5 says:
Tolkienlibrary.com has additional information on both editions http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/Children-of-Hurin-FAQ.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2007, 8:52:32 AM PDT
From the site: "The de luxe edition will be housed in a custom-built slipcase; it will include the cover painting as an exclusive frontispiece; be decorated with a unique foiled motif created specially by Alan Lee for this edition; include a silk ribbon marker; and will be produced using superior materials and binding. It will be the perfect companion to de luxe editions of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. It is being published alongside The Children of Húrin hardback in April 2007."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2007, 9:30:53 PM PDT
It is an expansion on the "Narn i Chîn Húrin" from Unfinished Tales. I believe a more brief version was in Silmarillion and a more expanded version in the Book of Lost Tales. It is commonly known as "The Narn".

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2007, 9:34:53 AM PDT
Guard says:
The page witht he deluxe edition says:

...Christopher has also created a detailed new map for this book. In addition, it will include a jacket and color paintings by Alan Lee, illustrator of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings Centenary Edition and Academy Award-winning designer of the film trilogy.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2007, 1:50:29 PM PDT
Why did the release date for the deluxe version get pushed back an entire month? I want to know with whom I should be angry.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2007, 10:09:17 AM PDT
yeah, it makes me really angry too, I've been waiting for this a long time, and had I know that it would be pushed, I would have bought the normal edition as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2007, 4:20:40 AM PDT
I think it must be due to the fact that these are published by Houghton-Mifflin in the US rather than HarperCollins as in the UK/Canada. After waiting 30 years since the last Tolkien book, I think I can be patient for another month :). I will be purchasing the regular edition anyway as a "reading copy", so doesn't bother me much.

One question I do have about the deluxe editions... The HarperCollins versions, though apparently identical, are priced quite a bit higher (on amazon.co.uk and amazon.ca) outside the US. Is the quality of the HarperCollins materials/printing that much greater (i.e., are we Americans getting shafted by HM in exchange for a lower price)? If that's the case, I should probably get the foreign edition, even with the hefty shipping costs...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2007, 10:05:23 AM PDT
I'm not certain, but I would assume that the price revolves somewhat around the number of books that each division of HC expects to sell in a given country. Obviously the US will buy the most copies, therefore we get them at a bigger discount. Sort of a Sam's Club/Walmart effect, if you will. Again however, I'm only speculating.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2007, 10:11:23 PM PDT
Is the Deluxe edition worth waiting for? I haven't purchased or read the regular edition. With the deluxe edition have everyhting the regular edition has plus more? I specifically hope the illustrations are there. so if anyone can answer my question it would be greatly appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2007, 4:32:42 AM PDT
I believe the difference between the regular and deluxe editions is mostly in materials (better paper, binding, etc. with the deluxe), a slipcase, and I think an additional color plate by Alan Lee. I have purchased and read the standard edition, which physically is a nice book also, but I'm buying the deluxe for my collection of Tolkien deluxe editions. So for me, it's worth waiting for, but I couldn't wait to read the book :).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2007, 9:04:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2007, 9:04:36 PM PDT
Thank you for responding. do you have the 50th annicersary edition of lord of the rings? I have the illustrated one and the the Red Collectors edition which I think is the 30th anniv. edition. is the 5oth edition worth getting if I have the other two versions?

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2007, 3:54:05 AM PDT
I do have the 50th anniversary edition of LotR, and also the red Collector's edition, but not the illustrated edition. The 50th is a handsome book, and includes the "Book of Mazarbul" (which I have not yet taken the time to read) left out of all earlier printings as well as two fold-out maps. Overall I'd say it's nicer than the red book. I don't know whether it would be worth it to you to pick it up, but for my part I now use the "red book" as my reading copy (I even detached the map for easy reference) and keep the 50th on "display" with the other deluxe editions. I also have the HarperCollins deluxe Silmarillion which is gorgeous; I highly recommend that too, but you might have to go to amazon.ca if interested in that one (still in print, but hard to find in US).

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2007, 8:15:15 PM PDT
I am really disappointed in Amazon's handling of the deluxe edition. One would think that the world's largest bookseller would get a correct date on this book. I preordered in Feb. and received the e-mail asking if I wanted to keep my order in for May 2-9 delivery. I agreed. Now I check on a whim tonight and see the order deliver date is the first week in JUNE!!. This is very poor handling on Amazon's part. I canceled my order tonight and will be buying the book from another bookseller. I also fired off an angry e-mail to Customer support which will do nothing but relieve my tension.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2007, 7:40:52 PM PDT
May I ask what other seller you are going through? I'd like to expedite delivery on this, and if Amazon can't do the job, I'd like to find a seller that will.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2007, 10:12:22 PM PDT
I never knew about that deluxe version of the Silmarillion. I thought it was odd that it didn't get the same treatment as The Hobbit and LotR. It looks like it's ~$90 (used!) here in the US and closer to $150 new off of amazon.ca. Mr. Howarth, do you think the binding and overall build/appearance of the book validate that expense?

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2007, 5:02:34 AM PDT
Guard says:
i know, i ordered this on MARCH 28TH! and now, my order says it will ARRIVE MAY 25TH! Initially amazon said "april 23rd"! its just that amazon did not get enough of these and is out of stock!

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2007, 5:05:30 AM PDT
Guard says:
dude same here! amazon pissed me off! you know what? keep complaining and they will give you a $5 credit in ure account! keep comlaining dude!

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2007, 6:18:17 PM PDT
I believe the 2002 deluxe Silmarillion was only published by Harper Collins in the UK/Canada. There are matching Hobbit and LotR editions (which I don't have). It's a nice book, leather/cloth, leather slipcase, very nice binding and paper (lightweight). Overall it's very attractive on the shelf. I paid the $150, so I guess it was worth it to me :).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Feb 7, 2007
Latest post:  May 10, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

This discussion is about