Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 33 reviews
on March 17, 2014
I've recommended this book to many people already. I was on Prozac and wellbutrin and still feeling crummy. I got this book and after reading it went off the wellbutrin and started taking the amino acids and other supplements. Within about 3 more months I was completely off the Prozac as well. It's been almost a year and my depression, even during the awful winter, was really held at bay. I feel so much better taking these over the counter supplements than I ever did on Rx drugs.
on May 12, 2008
I don't review books that I don't like. This one was a bit too medical for my taste (I discovered that I generally crave a psychological take on depression) but it is a book everyone who feels depressed, or ill, should have as a reference. As a result of reading the book I started taking vitamins every day and felt instantly much better. I noticed that I have been concentrating on depression so much from the "how-do-I-feel?" point of view that I have just about ignored all the physical things that affect the mood. While the book was a bit dry to read, it gets the job done. I feel that now I have a whole view on depression and I can address it from all the angles.
on April 12, 2000
This book was exceptionally helpful to me. It explains in a clear way the effects of different foods, nutritional supplements, drugs, and other factors on mood. After suffering from recurring depression and energy-level fluctuations, I had started reading all I could find about non-pharmaceutical alternatives to Prozac and other popular treatments.
This book seems to present the broadest range thus far of the alternatives with the most specific descriptions and explanations. It helps you look at your own biochemistry and points to possible directions for the causes of your depression and for eliminating them. It makes it easier to talk to your doctor and request the right kinds of tests to rule out other problems. It points out practical ways to depression-proof your life with custom changes that include nutritional supplements, diet, and lifestyle. I have just made some changes and look forward to seeing whether they were good ones.
For me, the most useful part was the detailed explanations of amino acids and nutritional supplements: what they are, when they are most helpful, their safety, and how to use them. Other related books I have read and liked tend to cover in depth only one area, such as diet and exercise, or vitamins and other supplements, or else they touch on many things but very superficially. This seems to cover a broad area in enough depth to make it useful. It also includes a formidable reference section for each chapter and a useful bibliography.
on March 14, 2017
good read
on August 13, 2014
My mood swings leveled out dramatically. My lifelong hypoglycemia is gone. Need i say more?
on June 5, 2016
Great
on March 18, 2015
I have found this book really helpful. I have posted a video review here [...]
on February 21, 2006
This book makes a good reference for the different uses of amino acids that can help depression. It also details the different types of depression so you can find your symptoms and individualize your treatment. The dietary information is sound. A well written how-to that will help a lot of people.
on January 23, 2015