Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning kidsevergreen kidsevergreen kidsevergreen  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Size: 24 Count|Change

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 30 reviews
on October 14, 2013
Derwent is well-known for producing quality art materials. Of late, they are also increasingly recognized for technological innovation, especially in the use of water-soluble pencils of various sorts. This collection offers a taste of both the quality and the technology. It also offers a tremendously versatile set of materials at a very reasonable price ($25 in my case).

You get the usual collection of graphite, charcoal pencils, and charcoal sticks common to any sketching collection. The quality of the materials is very good--the graphite pencils are nicely distinct in tone as are the charcoal. The tone of the sticks is perfectly matched with the pencils. As an added bonus, the charcoal pencils are quite robust. I sharpened them with a Faber hand sharpener with no breakage.

Where the collection really shines is with the extras. You get a nice selection of vanilla water soluble graphite, but you also get several Graphitint pencils, pigmented water soluble graphite. These behave like graphite pencils when used dry, the pigment providing only muted colors. But add water and it transforms into vibrant color, though not as vibrant as watercolor pencil.

Several colored drawing pencils are included. These are quite opaque, much like chalk pastels, but behave in a much more controlled fashion, like colored pencils. They also blend much better than chalk pastel. One nifty thing about these is that their opacity makes them suited for dark colored supports. The colors make them well-suited for things like animal fur or sepia portraiture.

Rounding out the collection are some tinted charcoal pencils, including white---very useful for popping white highlights.

With just this collection, you're well-equipped to tackle most any charcoal or graphite project you wish, as well as adding a range of subtle colors to the palette. The price makes this a tremendous value, especially if you want to explore a range of media.
on November 19, 2014
Amazing set for the price! I exclusively use Derwent pencils after trying almost every other brand out there and these truly are the best. Great for blending, shading, sketching, anything you can possibly think of doing with graphite, these truly are beyond the rest. This sketching tin is incredible, great way to replenish your current stock or to start fresh as a graphite artist. I love the charcoal blocks, the graphite blocks don't transfer well to certain papers and get smudged easily, but that is expected with some of the smoother papers. I would recommend these to anyone interested in photorealism drawing because these babies will blend like nobody's business.
on June 23, 2013
when I moved cross country -- I managed to not find my drawing pencils -- or sketchbook or coffee maker or blow dryer.... for a couple of months. And while I can towel dry my hair, and buy coffee at any number of conveniently located retail establishments... turns out you just can't draw without pencils and paper!

So I got this excellent tin of charcoal, pastel pencils, drawing pencils, water-soluble graphite... erasers, sharpeners, stumps... all the basics. Nothing wildly esoteric as art supplies go -- but everything you have to have to keep your drawing hand and mind loosened up.

Of course, the tin itself is kind of cumbersome and came bent and couldn't be closed completely, so the pencils went into a rubber-band wrapped napkin. But -- the art supplies themselves are excellent quality --- Derwent doesn't skimp on their supplies. A great basic drawing set.
on September 17, 2013
Great pencil set for the price. This very set is going for $32 on ebay. The charcoal is 100 times superior to Willow (do not ever buy Willow sticks, it is a smudge fest.

Pros
*water soluble. Buy Bristol ;)
* The Graphitone rocks at shading
* Brown and reddish highlights.

Cons
*Too many extras (most of us have pencil sharpeners)
*Not as many graphing pencils as the 12 piece sets. I got a 12 piece set for $4 off Amazon. There are cheaper ones on ebay.

I would buy this set again, especially for the graphite, which I'm hoping Derwent sells separately.
This is up there with my ebony pencils, and mechanical pencils (you can't beat a fine line).

This is a good product at a reasonable price.
on March 20, 2014
I really am enjoying having this set of drawing tools to add to my old bunch of pencils and drawing stuff from college years ago.i especially like that 3 water graphite pencils were included as I had never used these b4 and am IMPRESSED!! wow... have I been out of the loop or what!!! ??? ( don't bother to answer that) its a nice set in a nice case and the price was OK. I like that what ever I "need" is IN the case, except maybe a compass... still have my good one from drafting class so that's all good too!
on December 31, 2013
Beautiful set, as is the standard with Derwent. I picked this up after watching a video review of favored art supplies that was done by one of my favorite art journalists. It does not disappoint.
on April 28, 2017
Look, you can't go wrong with this set. This is a quality product made in the U.K. nice selection of pencils and extra accessories. The tin case is an added bonus
on January 26, 2015
Purchased this as a gift for my step daughter who is 14 and beginning to get serious about art. I like that it has a variety of media in one tin and I know Derwent always has top quality products. I trust their brand name and prefer many of their products over Prismacolor. This is a good starter kit for anyone looking to try different pencils and charcoals without having to make a huge investment. It comes with a sharpener and eraser which is nice and is easily portable since it all fits nicely in the tin it comes in.
on October 4, 2013
I really like the water soluble graphite pencils in this set its pretty cool that you can draw with them then make it look like watercolor. The charcoal pencils are cool too I use them to make darker lines and shade. Great quality set!
on November 10, 2012
Got this set for 13 bucks. and it's worth it.

Why it's better than my Faber Castell and Staedtler set.

-Less Breakge when sharpening Charcoal
-more controllable contrast and pressure.
-water soluble is better
-and it's really cheap for a 24 set

I'd say buy this product, it's gonna make your day and you could end up with a work of art.