Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

Customer reviews

on June 18, 2015
This is an absolute must-read for anyone that's interested in homeschooling. Some of the biggest challenges of homeschooling are trying to "do school at home." If a particular student loves and thrives in a typical school environment with workbooks, textbooks, lectures, lots of testing, a one-size fits all mentality, and a rigid schedule then that's fine. But most kids don't really learn very well this way. Deschooling Gently is extremely helpful in getting homeschoolers to let go of preconceived notions about how kids actually learn best and the fact that they don't have to bring the trappings of school home to educate their children well.
on February 27, 2015
I love this book! It has been so helpful, supportive, and therapeutic in my new journey of homeschooling.
on December 26, 2013
I think for me the information wasn't as relevant because I tend to do all those things anyway. But I do believe they are important tips so I passed the book on to my daughter.
on November 14, 2013
Excellent! This book was instructive and thought provoking. The author gives much concrete guidance on how to gently approach the transition to homeschooling, as well as comforting and encouraging food for thought regarding how to deschool/homeschool according to the needs of your family.
on March 24, 2013
This was the first book that gave me my aha! moment for HOW to deschool and HOW that would/could lead into unschooling/relaxed schooling approach. I'm grateful I found this book. So many others were just 'philosophy', this book gave practical understanding and guidance how to begin your deschooling journey - not only for your children but for yourself!
on October 21, 2012
Fantastic book, a great help in preparing me for the challenge of homeschooling my 10 year old son. I feel that I know what to expect, and I have more confidence choosing a style of homeschooling that suits my son and our family. Highly recommend this sensible and gentle book.
on June 24, 2011
I found this book when just beginning homeschooling. It was just what I needed to ease my worries. With just the right amount of encouragement and tips it really helped me get started. I've suggested it to a few other homeschoolers who were experiencing anxiety to help them out, too.

Everyone with children should read this book!
on March 10, 2009
This book was amazing. It was a big help in my style of homeschooling. She answered questions, gave suggestions and did it in a way that was non-threatening, and encouraging. She relieved fears, and gave me great suggestions on things. I would recommend that book to anyone, even those who don't homeschool, but are curious. She gave great listing of websites, including her own for further understanding and direction.
on March 3, 2009
My wife and I really appreciated this book. We are new to homeschooling and were trying to find a way to homeschool our kids and provide enough education but not be too structured in our approach. This book presented a very well thought out and practiced method - deschooling - that meets our, and our kids, needs.

It clearly takes the reader through the process of deschooling and helps with recognizing the good and the bad aspects and how to work with them. We used some ideas directly from the book to deal with doubting friends and parents.

I would highly recommend the book!
on December 24, 2008
I have to start by saying that I've really enjoyed this book. The tone is very readable and it's knowledgeable without being dry.

As for the content, this book is unique in that to covers one aspect of homeschooling--deschooling--in greater depth than most homeschooling books I've seen (some touch on it, but here it's really well-covered), but it touches on broader issues of homeschooling, parenting and family balance (even inner balance) through that lens, and shares something valuable that I believe most homeschooling families (even 'veterans'!) can benefit from. Where many other books share a new paradigm that should be followed, quoted, and adhered to fairly strictly, this book really does help you find your own way and feel good about what you're doing. (It's like the difference between being in school and told what to think, and being homeschooled and encouraged to think for yourself!) Tammy offers guidelines, information, resources, and new ways of seeing things, but she also offers support and an open attitude that encourages the reader to trust her instincts and find her own way. (Kind of reminds me of the Sears books on baby parenting.)

I think that one thing that's most difficult for new homeschoolers is knowing that what they're doing is 'okay', that they're doing it the right way, and this book really addresses that. But another thing that I've found with homeschooling for a few years is that the way I thought we might do it ended up not being the way that worked best for our family; that we continually alter the way we're doing things, and are constantly changing things up to find the right balance, the 'ingredients' that work best for our particular mix of needs and personalities; that no matter WHAT you do, there's a bunch of schools of thought that tell you what you're doing is wrong and will lead to certain doom for yourself and your family (I've found that with many general parenting philosophies as well). What I love about this book is that it's compatible with many different philosophies of schooling--from unschooling to using a government-funded charter, and can even apply to traditionally schooled children to a certain extent as a supplement--and that it offers something for everyone.

Elizabeth