Other Sellers on Amazon
Desert Hearts (Two-Disc Vintage Collection)
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Never-before-seen footage of the famous love scene
- New commentary by director Donna Deitch
- New interviews with Patricia Charbonneau and Helen Shaver by director Donna Deitch
Top Customer Reviews
I'll review the bonus disc as there are plenty of well written reviews of the actual film.
1. The "never before seen footage" of the famous love scene. This is the first bonus item on the extra disc. It is NOT a re-cut extended scene. This is the raw footage from, argueably, the most famous lesbian love scene ever. We are not necessarily given more content, but simply the same content from different angles, over multiple takes.
2. Commentary by director Donna Deitch. Fun and informative.
3. Interviews with the two main stars by director Deitch. To me, this feature is worth the price of this collection. Donna Deitch interviews both Patricia Charbonneau ( Cay ) and Helen Shaver ( Vivian ). These are one-on-one sessions which recall memories of filming and, more importantly, the impact the film had on both actresses. These interview sessions were done in March 2007. The only thing that might have made them more interesting would have been if the actresses had actually been reunited for the interviews. They are each interviewed, separately, by Deitch. While both actresses are fun to watch, it is Helen Shaver and her insights that are the most rewarding.
4. The Theatrical Trailer - This is actually interesting because, while the film hold up strongly, the trailer comes across as rather dated.
All in all, I'd recommend this set. It's a wonderful film, and the bonus disc will add a nice dimension to viewing it again.
"Desert Hearts" is a wonderful film. It's very erotic, tender, and moving. The women's story is complemented by excellent production values and effective use of period music. The performances are superb all around. The leads are backed by a great supporting cast; Audra Lindley is particularly good in a zesty, touching performance as Cay's stepmother. But it's the powerful chemistry between Shaver and Charbonneau which ultimately drives the film. Every scene between them is one to be savored.
The DVD version of the film includes a fascinating feature-length commentary track by director Deitch. She discusses the original novel, her own relationship with novelist Rule, the casting process, the music of the film, key scenes, and much more. Particularly fascinating is the window she offers into the financial realities of independent filmmaking.
"Desert Hearts" is about romantic love between two women. It's also about a mother-daughter relationship and about friendship between women. The beautiful scenes of the land and horses as well as the casino scenes give added appeal to the story of these interconnected relationships. I highly recommend this enjoyable and touching film.
This story is completely intriguing, and HEY, what a wonderful ending! SEQUEL, SEQUEL!!! This is an absolute must have in any collection. Timeless tale of the beauty of lesbian love.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I got the video when it came out....it was a beautiful piece of work back then and now....really caught the times with the music and i really liked all the acting in it Shaver... Read morePublished 13 days ago by fayemac
I was unable to get past the screen which lists options such as Love Scene,Slide Show etc. Would like advice. I never saw an option to Run Movie'Published 1 month ago by Albert A. Chambers
I had this in an old VHS format. I love this timeless classic lesbian movie and needed to update my library with the DVD version. I think I still have a crush on both women.Published 2 months ago by Patricia McIntyre