Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

Despicable Me 2 [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on November 13, 2013
If you are thinking of watching this movie and having your kids see it just look at the rainbow in the picture on the title. With that said just google the rainbow and make your own decision. Your kids are a young age and you should watch very carefully what they watch.
2424 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 26, 2013
If you have very small children or kids that are easily scared, DO NOT take them to this movie! The minions are captured, given shots, turned into monsters and put in cages. There's even a scene where someone fills a hypodermic syringe with liquid and then this is injected into a cute, fluffy rabbit. All of this is shown on the screen along with the rabbit's pained expression when he gets the shot.

There were kids crying in the theater and those families left when their children said they didn't want to watch the movie anymore.

I'd give this ZERO STARS, if I could!

Loved the first movie, HATED this one!
1616 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 11, 2013

I really enjoyed the first film, but I did not have high hopes for the second-- after all, what gave the original all of it's charm (meeting the girls, seeing the relationship between them and Gru blossom) had been wrapped up in a little bow...what else needed to be said?

Five minutes into the second film, I realized that the writers agreed with me. They had nothing to say. So this is about 90 minutes of minions, minions and more minions- oh, and two lame romances I can't imagine either the kids watching the movie or the parents who accompanied them could give a damn about.

I knew I was in for a LONG 90 minutes when I realized that the fart gun- a harmless, three-second gag in the first film, was going to be shown as a freaking institution in the second. "20-fart salute?" Um, the gun was made by ACCIDENT in the first film. Dr. Nefario said "ok, I wondered why anyone would have any use for this..." There are TWENTY in the second film? And it's used TWICE? Wasn't funny ONCE!

Then the romance storylines. Groan. Nobody cares if Gru finds a wife (including Gru.) NOBODY cares if the oldest girl finds a boyfriend. I'm grateful that the opportunity for product placement when we find she's texting someone was passed by at least. The girl Gru falls for is annoying as hell, and a really good reason not to see Despicable Me 3, if the rest of this mess wasn't enough already.

Finally, I was really annoyed at the dropped plot point concerning the villain's kid. The villain has a young son- yet he's willing to commit murder and transform thousands of minions- and HIMSELF- into a rampaging, homicidal beast...umm, if he does this, who is going to take care of the kid? We kind of needed to see some resolution here- if the villain is now captured and facing prison, what becomes of his son?

Anyway, this film was a chore to sit through, so unlike the first film, which was a pleasure I've gone back to several times. What a shame.
1212 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 5, 2013
In my opinion, this one is just terrible. While there are a few quirky, funny moments, the rest of the movie was a snore fest.

There really is no plot to this one. Everything funnels down to how Gru meets his wife. Big deal.

Better effort seen elsewhere, I say skip this one. blah
88 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 10, 2013
Don't Pick Amazon Instant Video to Download the Digital Copy. If you choose Amazon Instant Video you will receive a $14.99 credit and it is only enough to purchase the standard copy not the HD copy which cost $19.99. I purchased the 3D and Blu-Ray version of this movie and would expect the digital copy to also be HD. Also, with a recent update to Amazon Instant Video service you will only be allowed to download this movie on to 1 type of device at a time. I tired to download this video to 2 iphones due to traveling without streaming ability and it is only possible to have it on 1 at a time. It gives an error message "DOWNLOAD ERROR has been previously downloaded to another device. Delete any previously downloaded copies and try again." This is extremely problematic if you have multiple children with the same type of device. If I would have known about this change before I selected my type of download I would have chosen iTunes and not experienced this issue.
55 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 30, 2013
I ordered this because my 6-year-old great-grandson wanted to watch it- and he did, for about 10 minutes - then he closed the Kindle and said he didn't want to watch it any more - and the next morning he still didn't want to watch it. So later I opened it and started to look at it - - too irritating and too loud for me (though I turned it down) and totally annoying, so was disgusted that I actually paid $4.99 for a total of about 15 minutes of video. Stupidable Me -
55 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
"Despicable Me" was about fatherhood, in which archvillain Gru (Steve Carell) discovers there's more to life than stealing the moon, like adopting three adorable moppets: eldest Margo (Miranda Cosgrove) who is just discovering boys, ninja-in-training Edith (Dana Gaier) and unicorn-obsessed Agnes (Elsie Fisher). "Despicable Me 2" is about Gru completing the standard family unit by finding a mate. This is an entertaining sequel that fails to surpass the original, at least due in part to this single plot point -- the villains, the gadgets, and the minions are all ancillary to the object of Gru's romance, Anti-Villain League (AVL) agent Lucy Wilde (Kristen Wiig).

Lucy's the best thing about the film. The animators have captured every comic tic of Wiig, who infuses Lucy with a manic competence. Where Gru is an outdated villain who hasn't kept up with the times, Lucy is a product of a new era of empowered women who kicks open doors in heels and a skirt. This is embodied by their first encounter (played repeatedly in the trailers) where Gru loudly announces his intention to attack ("Freeze ray!") his presumed foe by whipping out a clunky weapon; in response, Lucy pulls out a lipstick Taser and easily incapacitates Gru and then announces with a flourish: "LIPSTICK TASER!"

Lucy recruits Gru into the AVL to stop a villain who has stolen mutagen PX-41, which turns living things into purple killing machines. He's hiding out in the Paradise Mall, so it's up to Gru and Lucy to go undercover as partners at an ice cream shop to catch the villain and find the mutagen. The plot is surprisingly similar to "Chuck."

The first twenty minutes --- where Lucy recruits Gru into the AVL, Dr. Nefario (Russell Brand) quits for another employer, the girls work to bring Lucy and Gru together, and the minions go missing -- are the best part. The minions are actually integral to the plot here in a way that's not entirely kid-friendly, and though "Despicable Me 2" works hard to defang them, the film makes it clear that monsters infected by the mutagen will eat little girls.

That's "Despicable Me 2"'s main flaw, and it's a big one. The bad guy, a has-been coming out of retirement, doesn't seem well-suited to the villainous plan. The surprise twist as to Dr. Nefario's employer isn't a twist at all, and the entire film pivots on his change of heart.

SPOILER ME TOO: Or to put it another way, neither Lucy nor Gru actually does anything of substance here, it's all Dr. Nefario, who apparently didn't understand that making purple monsters that will eat the world means it will eat "his family" too. If anything, Nefario should have more affection for the minions than for the girls, as his relationship with the girls is never developed on screen between both films. More galling is that super-competent Lucy is relegated to a damsel in distress, capable of taking on Gru but ushered off screen onto a rocket without even throwing a punch.

Kids won't care about this of course. "Despicable Me 2"'s formula has always been adult themes hidden behind a teeming mass of yellow minions to keep the kiddies entertained, and they are in full force here. There's plenty of eye-popping 3D visuals to keep the movie bumping along, and my son was sufficiently entertained by all the fart jokes (he's a five-year-old boy, the filmmakers know their audience). But as an adult I couldn't help but feel like this was a missed opportunity. I'll take more "LIPSTICK TASER!" over "Freeze Ray!" any day.
33 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 15, 2013
I loved the first one I didn't like anything about this one. Last 2 kids movie I got had token Mexicans I deal with illegals all day long I don't want movies where they speak Spanish celebrate Mexican holidays and have Mexican music. Illumination Entertainment can keep their token gay agenda and token Mexican characters I'll just keep my $.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 23, 2013
I recently bought this Vhs for my 42 yr.old grandson.
I didnt like the movie, they made fun of these cute little, ugly loving yellow people named minions.
(they sold minions at Mcdonalds!)

I hated everyone else in the movie, besides the minions.
The minions should take over our planet, and eat our cookies.
Also did you hear that minions are gonna be in COD:Ghosts!?
i dont know if its true, but i hope so.

Overall, this was not really an exciting movie,since they kept killing the minions.

2 stars. :(
on December 12, 2013
Cheaper at Walmart and it comes with a toy. Plus I had to call for the price match. Not for me.
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse