Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis dm3 Shop Now toystl17_gno_dm3

Showing 1-10 of 6,502 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 6,997 reviews
A sequel that is equally hilarious and as entertaining as its original movie! My family loved that this movie expanded on the lovable characters of Despicable Me AND had us laughing ourselves silly. The evil minions where such a nice twist! Gru's love interest was adorably spunky and an ace agent, too! Loved the new characters!

Now, where can I purchase a guacamole hat???!
review image
TOP 100 REVIEWERon January 18, 2016
Yeah, I couldn't wait until release day for Despicable Me 2. The original
Blu-ray was once at the very top of my Top Must Own 3D Titles list, and knowing
how much the animators favored pop-out effects, I was certain going into this
film that it would aim to please. I was not disappointed....and neither will you.

Picking up some short time after the original film, we find Gru (Steve Carell)
retired from being a super villain as he concentrates on being a father and a
legitimate businessman. You know, instead of blowing things up and creating
general havoc, he he's entertaining young kids at a Birthday party, dressed as
a fairy princess. However, that life suddenly comes to a screeching halt when
an agent named Lucy Wilde (Kristen Wiig) persuades Gru to help the Anti Villain
League hunt down a mastermind who has taken off with a secret formula that
turns innocent people into monsters.

With most all of the original cast and filmmakers returning for this sequel,
Despicable Me 2 aims higher than its predecessor thanks to the amount of
emphasis that is placed on its unusual stars, the Minions. This was a smart
thing to do given the fact that any scene with these lovable creatures manages
to get the biggest laughs, while the rest of the film sort of "hits" or "misses" when
it comes to trying to retain the magic of the original.

It becomes rather impossible to say anything negative about an animated
transfer like this that has been created entirely within the digital realm. It's
virtually flawless, with its vivid palette of colors and razor-sharp images that
beautifully detail the film's tremendous animation efforts. I really loved watching
the scenes that take place in the Minion tropical paradise. I think they show off
the most impressive levels of color from deep sky blues to the banana yellows of
the Minions themselves. Black levels are something to behold here as well,
particularly evident in young Agnes's (Elsie Fisher) hair or Dr. Nefario's (Russell
Brand) gloves. This is a transfer that is going to really make your display show
its worth.

As for the 3D, it's got a lot going for it as well. First, there is an ample amount of
depth that separates foreground and background objects. Animation is perfectly
layered throughout the film so that certain objects (such as overhead light fixtures)
stand more prominently forward than everything else. The use of descriptive
computer overlay gives a very nice 3D effect. Of course, as with the original film,
Despicable Me 2 plays to its audience, taking every opportunity it can to throw
props outwards. From an inflatable pony, to unraveling party horns, to floating
shards of glass -- there is always something coming at the audience. Look at Gru's
nose and the way it always seems to poke itself out of the screen. Unfortunately,
outside of a few character hand extends, the outward reach seems rather limited
for the in-film content. The real deal comes during the ending credits (which you
must watch completely through), where various objects mishandled by the Minions
come the furthest forward. These are the real 3D moments to savor. I suppose
Universal was afraid viewers would skip the credits so they have included most (or all)
of the credit hijinks in the opening menu.

Ghosting issues are ever-so minor. In fact, outside of the ghosting on the opening
credits (same problem as the original film) and a bubble sequence during the
closing credits, I hardly noticed any issues on my active shutter display.

Despicable Me 2 features a 5.1 DTS-MA track that is just as engaging as the film
itself. Effects work their way effortlessly across the channels. Dialogue is clear
throughout while the film's music seems to get even distribution around the entire
sound field. LFE is very much present in some of the film's action sequences,
particularly those involving the flying magnet. There's a lot of toe-tapping musical
moments to enjoy here. I was most pleased that one of my favorite instrumentals
by Barry White's Love Unlimited Orchestra was included.

Despicable Me 2 arrives as a 3-Disc set (Blu-ray 3d+Blu-ray+DVD and Digital HD)
housed in a really cool lenticular cardboard slipcover that features a blown party
favor. There's a wealth of extra material that I really didn't have time to spend with,
but I did take the opportunity to watch one of the three included mini-movies (the
only one in 3D), Puppy. It's actually a very cute short that features great dimensional
depth (though no pop-out).

Despicable Me 2 falls a bit short of the original, but still remains quite funny thanks
to the time that is spent with its lovable Minions. I can't get enough of those little
guys and I look forward to their own spin-off feature in 2014.

Meanwhile, this is yet another "must have" release for anyone that wants to enjoy the
full potential their 3D display has to offer. Despicable Me 2 is just plain "fun" and it
makes for one of the very best 3D releases of 2013.
on December 31, 2015
Despicable Me 2 Limited Edition Ornament Gift Set (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD)

I got this version rather than the 3D just because I wanted the ornament for my granddaughter. We had everyone glued to the TV Christmas day as they all watched the Despicable Me 2 Movie. No longer a bad guy but doing his best to be a really super dad, Gru is recruited to be a good guy to track down a new villain. Sorry guys no spoilers here. This is just a must watch movie.
review image review image
For Christmas we got this and "Despicable Me" (the original one) for my eight year old daughter. We take her to see pretty much EVERY family-friendly movie that comes to the theaters, and I have to say, the Despicable Me series holds a special place in our hearts- not only is it wildly appealing to children, it's also very, very funny. And both films stand the test of repeated watching. I have to admit, I like the first "Despicable Me" better, but it's nice to have both of them in our library. I'm sure you've seen this, but if you haven't- go ahead and rent/buy it. It's worth the time. Very funny.
on November 18, 2014
We bought this for our daughter for Christmas and she loves it! (We have it to her early lol) she hung onto the little ornament throughout the whole movie, and she really likes the cute mini movies. This had excellent fast shipping and was delivered no problem.
on May 26, 2016
My kids are obsessed with minions and this movie is really cute. I have to admit I kind of love it too. It's nice to see Margo, Edith, and Agnes back and trying to hook Gru up with a girlfriend. So cute, loved the history of how the minions came to be. Wasn't my impression, I thought they were created in a lab, apparently not!
on March 12, 2015
Hilarious family fun and even better than the first one (I didn't think that would be possible). This absolutely should have won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature Film over "Frozen," which was riding the "Let It Go" hype at the time of the awards season. The minions are a catchy, brilliant creation and I'll take the message of love that Gru has for his adopted girls and how love of family an conquer evil over the syrupy "I choose my sister over a man" silliness that "Frozen" represents. This movie will stand the test of time...great vocal acting and writing. We finally get to see the fart gun in action!! "I'm not afraid of your jelly guns." "Oh, this ain't no jelly gun, sunshine." Awesome. :)
on January 1, 2014
Despicable Me 2 is really a great movie - it's cute, uplifting, and really funny. The story focuses on Gru's (the main character who is voiced by Steve Carrell) attempt to locate a villain who is using a dangerous compound called PX-40 to transform good into evil. Along the way, we learn a lot about Gru's daughters (Agnes, Edith and Margo), Dr. Nefario, Agent Lucy from the AVL, and Silas Ramsbottom, who is part of the hysterical 'bottom' scene.

But the stars of the show, far and away, are the minions. They are simply hysterical in every way, from their language to their actions to how they fit into the story. This film makes you want to see a story just about the minions!! I have seen the movie about 5 times so far (my daughters love it) and each time I find something the minions say or do which I didn't notice before.

This isn't a movie just for kids, so don't avoid it for that reason. A lot of the humor is subtle but appropriate for adults. And the minions, while seeming to be characters designed for kids, are far from that.

Of all the sequels I've seen, this is one of those that outperforms the original - by a long shot! So if you haven't seen it, take the time to enjoy this hilarious movie!! You won't be sorry!
on August 28, 2016
I can't believe I loved this movie. I anticipated hating it. I thought that people that were super into Despicable Me were weird. I thought that the mumbling minions were dumb. I thought their association with Burger King was strange at best. But when my 4-year-old twins wanted desperately to watch it, I finally succumbed. And I lol'ed. It was actually good. Kudos, Steve Carell. Turns out you're not the worst after all.

Here's Ebert's review. I can't give you anything more in-depth than that.

I enjoyed 2010's "Despicable Me" immensely, so I approached "Despicable Me 2" with a wary eye. "Despicable Me" told a funny, sweet, self-contained story about a guy named Gru (Steve Carrell) who renounces villainy and embraces fatherhood. It ended on a note that required no further speculation. Satisfied viewers like me sang "So Long, Farewell" to Gru and his crew. Reps at Universal looked at "Despicable Me's" $251 million dollar domestic box office gross and sang "Never Can Say Goodbye." So, another summer weekend brings another summer sequel.

WATCH NOW

"Despicable Me 2" is as serviceable as it is unnecessary. Therein lies the rub for me. Here I sit on the fence between 2-1/2 and 3 stars, unsure of where I will fall. On the "thumbs down" side, there's dissatisfaction with a returning hero who is far blander than his original incarnation; he's been neutered by the one thing that made "Despicable Me"'s ending so satisfying. On the "thumbs-up" side is a series of clever touches made with love and attention by cast and crew. These moments are so good I almost feel despicable for being undecided. So this review is a battle between Evil Film Critic Odie and Emotional Moviegoer Odie. You have a luxury I currently do not: You can look at the star rating above and see who won.
The opening of "Despicable Me 2" is an example of its brash cleverness. An entire intelligence team and their outpost is attacked by a huge horseshoe magnet straight out of that Warner Bros. cartoon subsidiary, The Acme Company. Almost everyone and everything is pulled comically into the sky and relocated, save for a port-a-potty and its terrified inhabitant. This act of vandalism attracts the attention of the AVI, an organization that tracks and reports the kind of villainy Gru partook in back in the days of "Despicable Me." The AVI sends out agent Lucy (Kristen Wiig) to ask Gru to use his powers of villainous deduction to figure out who's behind these extreme demonstrations of magnetic personality. Lucy's idea of asking nicely is electrocuting Gru with a "lipstick taser" before tossing him into the trunk of her superspy car-slash-plane-slash-boat.
Before his Meet Cute with Lucy, Gru was living a boring, domesticated life. Now retired, the only despicable act he is perpetrating on society is a series of horrific tasting jams and jellies. It drives his colleague Dr. Nefario (Russell Brand) to resign and take a position with a new villain. Gru's new project will help his undercover operation as a vendor at the local mall. Lucy believes the mastermind AVI seeks is one of the other store owners at the mall. Suspects include a hairdresser, whose appearance conjures up images of "Shampoo" recast with Paul Williams, and an extremely masculine Mexican restaurant owner whom Gru thinks bears strong resemblance to a bad guy named "El Macho." Since El Macho es muerte (his death scene will put hair on your chest), Gru is immediately suspicious.
Al Pacino was supposed to play Eduardo, the guy Gru thinks is El Macho. Al left the movie, but his accent apparently remained. Benjamin Bratt picks up the most over-the-top Hispanic accent since Tony Montana and runs a marathon with it. His line readings are a blast, though some viewers might find Eduardo somewhat politically incorrect. Whether Eduardo is El Macho isn't important; he brings much needed spark to "Despicable Me 2," upstaging Gru at every turn. In fact, until the climax, everyone upstages Gru. Carrell's accented line readings are still a pleasure, but I wanted more of the old Gru's scheming.
"Despicable Me 2" does offer a few flashes of what endeared me to its hero in the first place. Gru's suspicions about Eduardo increases tenfold when his eldest daughter Margo (Miranda Cosgrove) feasts her eyes on Eduardo's teenage son Antonio (Moises Arias). Gru's amusingly unsuccessful (and rather mean) attempts to keep Margo from growing up have a familiar ring of disaster for any dad raising a daughter. Gru even brings his freeze gun out of retirement to cool Antonio's raging hormones, though he aims it at the wrong parts of this lothario.
While Gru worries about Margo's love life, she and her sisters Agnes (Elsie Fisher) and Edith (Dana Gaier) worry about his, even setting him up on vHarmony (or whatever that dating site is that caters to the wrong side of the law). When Agnes sees Lucy, she correctly pegs that Gru has a thing for her. This potential Mommy subplot is designed to inject emotion into "Despicable Me 2." While it works for the most part (Agnes' big, expression-filled eyes are the animators' most glorious creations), nothing in the sequel comes as close to yanking my heartstrings as the moment when Gru, literally caught between the moon and New York City in the original, sees that pink ballet recital ticket floating in space.
"Despicable Me 2" lags on occasion, but every time I found my attention waning, the filmmakers did something wicked to goose me. Many of these moments involve my second favorite thing about "Despicable Me," Gru's minions. The cheerful little yellow creatures with overalls become integral plot points this time, undergoing a Gremlins-style metamorphosis to the dark side courtesy of our mystery villain. This leads to a nod to Philip Kaufman's "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" that, dare I say, is worth the price of admission. The minions also figure in the second dressed-in-all-white homage to '90s music to appear in a 2013 summer film. I laughed so hard I almost spat out my soda. It was at that moment that I found myself torn about my star rating.
This is where you came in. While I remain disappointed that the sequel gives me a subdued Gru and an uneven pace, I keep remembering things about "Despicable Me 2" that make me smile. For every meh moment, there's almost 2 well-conceived gags or lines. The voice talent remains top-notch, with Wiig, Bratt, Steve Coogan and the returning Russell Brand as stand-outs. The 3-D, as far as I can tell, is quite good, especially during the closing credits. (Full disclosure: like some of Gru's minions, I've only got one working eye, which turns 3-D into 2.25-D.) Some of the minor plot points pay off big time. I'm as enamored of the Pharrell Williams songs in this one as I was in the first film (and they're well used). And directors Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud, and screenwriters Ken Daurio and Cinco Paul milk a few sweet moments of genuine emotional heft from the relationship between Gru and his kids.
With all that in mind, I have decided to award three stars to "Despicable Me 2." Besides, the Evil Film Critic has to win sometimes.
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2014
We got this movies specifically because of the 3D and it's some of the best I've seen. It's subtly incorporated into almost every scene of the movie to give depth to characters and really give you a sense of who's in the foreground and who's in the background. The visual gags are richer and the minions... oh the minions are just perfect. You haven't really experienced this movie until you've seen it in 3D!