Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on June 20, 2015
A sequel that is equally hilarious and as entertaining as its original movie! My family loved that this movie expanded on the lovable characters of Despicable Me AND had us laughing ourselves silly. The evil minions where such a nice twist! Gru's love interest was adorably spunky and an ace agent, too! Loved the new characters!

Now, where can I purchase a guacamole hat???!
review image
0Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 28, 2016
I can't believe I loved this movie. I anticipated hating it. I thought that people that were super into Despicable Me were weird. I thought that the mumbling minions were dumb. I thought their association with Burger King was strange at best. But when my 4-year-old twins wanted desperately to watch it, I finally succumbed. And I lol'ed. It was actually good. Kudos, Steve Carell. Turns out you're not the worst after all.

Here's Ebert's review. I can't give you anything more in-depth than that.

I enjoyed 2010's "Despicable Me" immensely, so I approached "Despicable Me 2" with a wary eye. "Despicable Me" told a funny, sweet, self-contained story about a guy named Gru (Steve Carrell) who renounces villainy and embraces fatherhood. It ended on a note that required no further speculation. Satisfied viewers like me sang "So Long, Farewell" to Gru and his crew. Reps at Universal looked at "Despicable Me's" $251 million dollar domestic box office gross and sang "Never Can Say Goodbye." So, another summer weekend brings another summer sequel.

WATCH NOW

"Despicable Me 2" is as serviceable as it is unnecessary. Therein lies the rub for me. Here I sit on the fence between 2-1/2 and 3 stars, unsure of where I will fall. On the "thumbs down" side, there's dissatisfaction with a returning hero who is far blander than his original incarnation; he's been neutered by the one thing that made "Despicable Me"'s ending so satisfying. On the "thumbs-up" side is a series of clever touches made with love and attention by cast and crew. These moments are so good I almost feel despicable for being undecided. So this review is a battle between Evil Film Critic Odie and Emotional Moviegoer Odie. You have a luxury I currently do not: You can look at the star rating above and see who won.
The opening of "Despicable Me 2" is an example of its brash cleverness. An entire intelligence team and their outpost is attacked by a huge horseshoe magnet straight out of that Warner Bros. cartoon subsidiary, The Acme Company. Almost everyone and everything is pulled comically into the sky and relocated, save for a port-a-potty and its terrified inhabitant. This act of vandalism attracts the attention of the AVI, an organization that tracks and reports the kind of villainy Gru partook in back in the days of "Despicable Me." The AVI sends out agent Lucy (Kristen Wiig) to ask Gru to use his powers of villainous deduction to figure out who's behind these extreme demonstrations of magnetic personality. Lucy's idea of asking nicely is electrocuting Gru with a "lipstick taser" before tossing him into the trunk of her superspy car-slash-plane-slash-boat.
Before his Meet Cute with Lucy, Gru was living a boring, domesticated life. Now retired, the only despicable act he is perpetrating on society is a series of horrific tasting jams and jellies. It drives his colleague Dr. Nefario (Russell Brand) to resign and take a position with a new villain. Gru's new project will help his undercover operation as a vendor at the local mall. Lucy believes the mastermind AVI seeks is one of the other store owners at the mall. Suspects include a hairdresser, whose appearance conjures up images of "Shampoo" recast with Paul Williams, and an extremely masculine Mexican restaurant owner whom Gru thinks bears strong resemblance to a bad guy named "El Macho." Since El Macho es muerte (his death scene will put hair on your chest), Gru is immediately suspicious.
Al Pacino was supposed to play Eduardo, the guy Gru thinks is El Macho. Al left the movie, but his accent apparently remained. Benjamin Bratt picks up the most over-the-top Hispanic accent since Tony Montana and runs a marathon with it. His line readings are a blast, though some viewers might find Eduardo somewhat politically incorrect. Whether Eduardo is El Macho isn't important; he brings much needed spark to "Despicable Me 2," upstaging Gru at every turn. In fact, until the climax, everyone upstages Gru. Carrell's accented line readings are still a pleasure, but I wanted more of the old Gru's scheming.
"Despicable Me 2" does offer a few flashes of what endeared me to its hero in the first place. Gru's suspicions about Eduardo increases tenfold when his eldest daughter Margo (Miranda Cosgrove) feasts her eyes on Eduardo's teenage son Antonio (Moises Arias). Gru's amusingly unsuccessful (and rather mean) attempts to keep Margo from growing up have a familiar ring of disaster for any dad raising a daughter. Gru even brings his freeze gun out of retirement to cool Antonio's raging hormones, though he aims it at the wrong parts of this lothario.
While Gru worries about Margo's love life, she and her sisters Agnes (Elsie Fisher) and Edith (Dana Gaier) worry about his, even setting him up on vHarmony (or whatever that dating site is that caters to the wrong side of the law). When Agnes sees Lucy, she correctly pegs that Gru has a thing for her. This potential Mommy subplot is designed to inject emotion into "Despicable Me 2." While it works for the most part (Agnes' big, expression-filled eyes are the animators' most glorious creations), nothing in the sequel comes as close to yanking my heartstrings as the moment when Gru, literally caught between the moon and New York City in the original, sees that pink ballet recital ticket floating in space.
"Despicable Me 2" lags on occasion, but every time I found my attention waning, the filmmakers did something wicked to goose me. Many of these moments involve my second favorite thing about "Despicable Me," Gru's minions. The cheerful little yellow creatures with overalls become integral plot points this time, undergoing a Gremlins-style metamorphosis to the dark side courtesy of our mystery villain. This leads to a nod to Philip Kaufman's "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" that, dare I say, is worth the price of admission. The minions also figure in the second dressed-in-all-white homage to '90s music to appear in a 2013 summer film. I laughed so hard I almost spat out my soda. It was at that moment that I found myself torn about my star rating.
This is where you came in. While I remain disappointed that the sequel gives me a subdued Gru and an uneven pace, I keep remembering things about "Despicable Me 2" that make me smile. For every meh moment, there's almost 2 well-conceived gags or lines. The voice talent remains top-notch, with Wiig, Bratt, Steve Coogan and the returning Russell Brand as stand-outs. The 3-D, as far as I can tell, is quite good, especially during the closing credits. (Full disclosure: like some of Gru's minions, I've only got one working eye, which turns 3-D into 2.25-D.) Some of the minor plot points pay off big time. I'm as enamored of the Pharrell Williams songs in this one as I was in the first film (and they're well used). And directors Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud, and screenwriters Ken Daurio and Cinco Paul milk a few sweet moments of genuine emotional heft from the relationship between Gru and his kids.
With all that in mind, I have decided to award three stars to "Despicable Me 2." Besides, the Evil Film Critic has to win sometimes.
on January 25, 2018
My son bought this movie twice, the first time I was refunded by Amazon, the second time I felt ashamed to say, "My 1 yr. old knows my parental control password and used it to treat himself to this movie... may I please have ANOTHER refund pretty please?" Sadly that's what happened, I've caught him putting the password whenever he wants to watch a movie and I had to change it to something else (no.. my password wasn't 1111 or something like that)
Since we're stuck w. it through my kids had to watch it several times, and the one that bought it watches it religiously every other night on his tablet. He is 1 going on 61 it is funny to see him being so independent... I know hide to unlock the movie though.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 25, 2017
My kids have watched this movie multiple times. We highly recommend this movie and the first Despicable Me movie.

P.S. People we've talked to sometimes get the various Minions-related movies mixed up. Please note that we do NOT recommend the first Minions movie, which has the character Scarlett Overkill...my eldest copies her every movement and motion. We tried to allow her to watch that Minions movie and tried to teach her not to copy Scarlett's bad traits and actions but we were not successful. So, while she's in this phase (2.5-3 yrs), we have decided to temporarily move it to our hidden DVD library :) until she's older and better able to understand our guidance. Other than Scarlett Overkill, whose character is too "over" the top for me, the Minions movie is funny and well-done; but, it is only suitable for older kids. I'm not an expert, but my personal recommendation would be for children at least 7-8 years old, depending on each child's maturity progression.
on August 6, 2017
Wow! Gru meets a female 007 that fights villains? Yep, submarine car and all. "All's well that ends well", just like "Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing". Turns out that Gru's career as a villain qualifies him to identify and combat villainy, and whereas he begins with minions, three little girls, an evil scientist protégé, and a "dog", he ends up with all that and one big girl to boot.
on November 18, 2014
We bought this for our daughter for Christmas and she loves it! (We have it to her early lol) she hung onto the little ornament throughout the whole movie, and she really likes the cute mini movies. This had excellent fast shipping and was delivered no problem.
My kids are obsessed with minions and this movie is really cute. I have to admit I kind of love it too. It's nice to see Margo, Edith, and Agnes back and trying to hook Gru up with a girlfriend. So cute, loved the history of how the minions came to be. Wasn't my impression, I thought they were created in a lab, apparently not!
Despicable Me 2 is really a great movie - it's cute, uplifting, and really funny. The story focuses on Gru's (the main character who is voiced by Steve Carrell) attempt to locate a villain who is using a dangerous compound called PX-40 to transform good into evil. Along the way, we learn a lot about Gru's daughters (Agnes, Edith and Margo), Dr. Nefario, Agent Lucy from the AVL, and Silas Ramsbottom, who is part of the hysterical 'bottom' scene.

But the stars of the show, far and away, are the minions. They are simply hysterical in every way, from their language to their actions to how they fit into the story. This film makes you want to see a story just about the minions!! I have seen the movie about 5 times so far (my daughters love it) and each time I find something the minions say or do which I didn't notice before.

This isn't a movie just for kids, so don't avoid it for that reason. A lot of the humor is subtle but appropriate for adults. And the minions, while seeming to be characters designed for kids, are far from that.

Of all the sequels I've seen, this is one of those that outperforms the original - by a long shot! So if you haven't seen it, take the time to enjoy this hilarious movie!! You won't be sorry!
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2014
We got this movies specifically because of the 3D and it's some of the best I've seen. It's subtly incorporated into almost every scene of the movie to give depth to characters and really give you a sense of who's in the foreground and who's in the background. The visual gags are richer and the minions... oh the minions are just perfect. You haven't really experienced this movie until you've seen it in 3D!
on July 9, 2015
It's been three days and I am still laughing. Good humor, clean fun and great visuals for kids and adults alike. I can see why this grouping of comic/cartoon characters has achieved such success. Can't wait to watch the second one. The movie has monsters, creepy techies, comic references to greedy bankers; it puts villains in a different light and suggests that even the most sinister and detached villain can be redeemed by the love of children. Yeah for humanity