Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning kidsevergreen kidsevergreen kidsevergreen  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 6,551 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 7,050 reviews
on August 6, 2017
Wow! Gru meets a female 007 that fights villains? Yep, submarine car and all. "All's well that ends well", just like "Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing". Turns out that Gru's career as a villain qualifies him to identify and combat villainy, and whereas he begins with minions, three little girls, an evil scientist protégé, and a "dog", he ends up with all that and one big girl to boot.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon January 18, 2016
Yeah, I couldn't wait until release day for Despicable Me 2. The original
Blu-ray was once at the very top of my Top Must Own 3D Titles list, and knowing
how much the animators favored pop-out effects, I was certain going into this
film that it would aim to please. I was not disappointed....and neither will you.

Picking up some short time after the original film, we find Gru (Steve Carell)
retired from being a super villain as he concentrates on being a father and a
legitimate businessman. You know, instead of blowing things up and creating
general havoc, he he's entertaining young kids at a Birthday party, dressed as
a fairy princess. However, that life suddenly comes to a screeching halt when
an agent named Lucy Wilde (Kristen Wiig) persuades Gru to help the Anti Villain
League hunt down a mastermind who has taken off with a secret formula that
turns innocent people into monsters.

With most all of the original cast and filmmakers returning for this sequel,
Despicable Me 2 aims higher than its predecessor thanks to the amount of
emphasis that is placed on its unusual stars, the Minions. This was a smart
thing to do given the fact that any scene with these lovable creatures manages
to get the biggest laughs, while the rest of the film sort of "hits" or "misses" when
it comes to trying to retain the magic of the original.

It becomes rather impossible to say anything negative about an animated
transfer like this that has been created entirely within the digital realm. It's
virtually flawless, with its vivid palette of colors and razor-sharp images that
beautifully detail the film's tremendous animation efforts. I really loved watching
the scenes that take place in the Minion tropical paradise. I think they show off
the most impressive levels of color from deep sky blues to the banana yellows of
the Minions themselves. Black levels are something to behold here as well,
particularly evident in young Agnes's (Elsie Fisher) hair or Dr. Nefario's (Russell
Brand) gloves. This is a transfer that is going to really make your display show
its worth.

As for the 3D, it's got a lot going for it as well. First, there is an ample amount of
depth that separates foreground and background objects. Animation is perfectly
layered throughout the film so that certain objects (such as overhead light fixtures)
stand more prominently forward than everything else. The use of descriptive
computer overlay gives a very nice 3D effect. Of course, as with the original film,
Despicable Me 2 plays to its audience, taking every opportunity it can to throw
props outwards. From an inflatable pony, to unraveling party horns, to floating
shards of glass -- there is always something coming at the audience. Look at Gru's
nose and the way it always seems to poke itself out of the screen. Unfortunately,
outside of a few character hand extends, the outward reach seems rather limited
for the in-film content. The real deal comes during the ending credits (which you
must watch completely through), where various objects mishandled by the Minions
come the furthest forward. These are the real 3D moments to savor. I suppose
Universal was afraid viewers would skip the credits so they have included most (or all)
of the credit hijinks in the opening menu.

Ghosting issues are ever-so minor. In fact, outside of the ghosting on the opening
credits (same problem as the original film) and a bubble sequence during the
closing credits, I hardly noticed any issues on my active shutter display.

Despicable Me 2 features a 5.1 DTS-MA track that is just as engaging as the film
itself. Effects work their way effortlessly across the channels. Dialogue is clear
throughout while the film's music seems to get even distribution around the entire
sound field. LFE is very much present in some of the film's action sequences,
particularly those involving the flying magnet. There's a lot of toe-tapping musical
moments to enjoy here. I was most pleased that one of my favorite instrumentals
by Barry White's Love Unlimited Orchestra was included.

Despicable Me 2 arrives as a 3-Disc set (Blu-ray 3d+Blu-ray+DVD and Digital HD)
housed in a really cool lenticular cardboard slipcover that features a blown party
favor. There's a wealth of extra material that I really didn't have time to spend with,
but I did take the opportunity to watch one of the three included mini-movies (the
only one in 3D), Puppy. It's actually a very cute short that features great dimensional
depth (though no pop-out).

Despicable Me 2 falls a bit short of the original, but still remains quite funny thanks
to the time that is spent with its lovable Minions. I can't get enough of those little
guys and I look forward to their own spin-off feature in 2014.

Meanwhile, this is yet another "must have" release for anyone that wants to enjoy the
full potential their 3D display has to offer. Despicable Me 2 is just plain "fun" and it
makes for one of the very best 3D releases of 2013.
on July 10, 2017
hello,
if you have had a tough day or things are bothering you, this is the way to make those just float away. the little characters make just about any situation "happy." when that happy theme song gets played anywhere online or on tv, everyone instantly sees these little yellow oddballs running around being creative and full of joy. a fabulous movie and great follow up to the original. 5+++
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2014
We got this movies specifically because of the 3D and it's some of the best I've seen. It's subtly incorporated into almost every scene of the movie to give depth to characters and really give you a sense of who's in the foreground and who's in the background. The visual gags are richer and the minions... oh the minions are just perfect. You haven't really experienced this movie until you've seen it in 3D!
on May 31, 2017
I don't like this as good as the first, but I initially didn't like the first movie and it took a few watches to enjoy it. The minions and kids are always great. I think part of the reason I didn't like this movie was the villain in it. Even though Vector was a loser in the first movie, he was still fun to watch. I'm looking forward to the third Despicable Me. The villain in it looks neat.
on September 3, 2015
Our kids have been dying to see this movie and a while back we finally got around to ordering it for them. We made a family movie night out of this and we were all in stitches laughing so hard at this movie. Everyone from the youngest kids to the older kids and even the adults had a fun time watching this movie! If you need a new movie idea for a family movie night, this would be a great movie to watch - especially if you have seen the first one!
on May 1, 2016
My kid fell in love with minions before he even saw the movie. I ended up buying him Despicable Me, Despicable Me 2, and Minions, because he already had a minions toy collection. It's been a while since I bought the movies, and he still likes to watch them.
I would give a brief synopsis of the movie, but then the one person who's been living under a rock for the past several years would yell about spoilers. Plus, I'm just too lazy.
on December 31, 2015
Despicable Me 2 Limited Edition Ornament Gift Set (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD)

I got this version rather than the 3D just because I wanted the ornament for my granddaughter. We had everyone glued to the TV Christmas day as they all watched the Despicable Me 2 Movie. No longer a bad guy but doing his best to be a really super dad, Gru is recruited to be a good guy to track down a new villain. Sorry guys no spoilers here. This is just a must watch movie.
review image review image
on January 12, 2017
This is a wonderful movie, though I do recommend watching the first one before this one if you haven't seen either yet. It is a movie both kids and parents can enjoy, with kid friendly humor, secret agents, the goofy minions, romance, and it is adorable seeing the relationship between Gru and his adopted daughters progress. This is up their on my list of favorite movies and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

As a side note, I couldn't get amazon's video service to work with my chrome cast through my iPhone, so I ended up sending it to the screen via a computer instead. That is not a problem with the movie itself, but something to keep in mind if you buy it digitally with the hope of immediately streaming it to your chrome cast like I did.
on June 23, 2017
These movies never fail to make me laugh, but it's definitely not highbrow humor....which is a plus in my book. Sometimes flatulence is just funny, as are little yellow Minions making those noises, or saying "butt" then laughing hysterically. That being said, the animation lives up to Pixar's supreme standards as does the funny, loveable story line. All in all, a great family movie, with a bit of bathroom humor, but not much. Love it!