Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$9.99

Showing 1-10 of 230 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 276 reviews
on January 8, 2016
Read the synopsis somewhere else. I will tell you that I had a friend who served on the actual mission. He told me the whole story was really told in this film. He allowed for Hollywood add-ons and the fact that some of the crew were composites of two or three members of the boat's company. He said that the whole, real story might have taken four hours on film. He said that the appendicitis scene actually happened. They had captured Japanese on board (he did not remember the exact number), but that none of the prisoners were any trouble except one who was sick and complained a lot. He said the knifing scene did not happen and that during tense moments the prisoners were just a worried as the crew. He loved the movie which he saw on TV after the war and could not believe how acurate it was in terms of submarine life. I miss you Rusty and as a former Navy man, I salute all the members of the Silent Service.
on April 16, 2015
The main charecters Grant, Garfield, Hale & Dane Clark were all seasoned actors of the WW II era. Garfield & Clark both did " Pride of the Marines " which was a hit with factual accounts Marine hero Lou Diamond & his foxhole machine gun assistant.Al Schmid. Delmar Daves directed that movie also besides this one & 3:10 to Yuma. Alan Hale always great acting by him in any role such as he was in Errol Flynn's " Robin Hood " playing Little John with his strong & hearty persona he carries so well. Cary Grant in a more serious role part he was starting to get more often as his career went on. You see a different Cary Grant from his crackpot roles in the 30s. He was a master in Hollywood at any & all. This is a full feature movie of entertainment with some great suspense that shows just how good Grant is. I added this movie to my Home Theater library & I only put on my shelves good ones.
on November 15, 2013
This is often called the granddaddy of submarine movies, and it's one of the most famous. Made in the middle of World War II, with the outcome still in doubt, it conveys the fears and determination of the entire country, as its citizens faced a powerful and equally determined enemy in Japan. Cary Grant is superb in a dramatic role as captain of the U.S.S. Copperfin, assigned to a penetrate Tokyo Bay to gather intelligence in advance of an aerial bombardment (an approximation of the raid by Lt. Col. James Dolittle and his squadron of carrier-launched, B-25 aircraft, which had taken place the previous year). Along the way, the sub stops in the Aleutians to pick up a naval commando being sent on the top-secret mission. It's definitely a product of its time, and the studio effects seem dated, but get set for a riveting wartime drama. Phil's Favorite 500: Loves of a Moviegoing Lifetime (2014 edition)
on September 15, 2012
Destination Tokyo is one of the more realistic WWII submarine stories, as it gives a capsule but realistic view of life aboard one of our Pacific Fleet Boats, which could not get much publicity during the war because of necessary secrecy. In order to protect the security of our submarines, the Navy provided equipment from a variety of pre-war submarine designs in order not to reveal specific characteristics of our subs, which might endanger them. A certain amount of artistic license was necessary because of this, but it does not have any negative impact on the film. The film is well-paced and does not flag; the story is reasonably realistic, and incorporates actual events, such as the appendicitis operation by the pharmacist's mate, which happened not once but several times aboard our submarine-boats during the war (despite their size, subs are traditionally called "boats" rather than "ships" that they technically are). Good story, excellent submarine sets, and one of my all-time favorite submarine movies.
on March 27, 2017
If you like old WWII movies, be sure to add this one to your collection. For what it's worth, I toured the USS Silversides a gato class US submarine located in Muskegon Michigan last summer with my grandson. The appendix operation scene in the movie actually happened on board the Silversides. We were in the ward room where the operation actually took place. This fact makes this movie even better for me. Great movie!
on February 12, 2015
This movie is great ! I feel like I'm right there with these guys as they embark on their mission ! I would highly recommend this film to anyone who appreciates what our servicemen did for us, especially during WW2. I can watch this movie over and over and its always a thrill for me !!
on April 29, 2015
this was not up to par with "back to bataan" but it was right up there. i recommend, if you are war movies buff, you will like this one
on April 18, 2017
One of the better World War ll flicks
on January 22, 2017
This was a good movie
on March 2, 2017
It't a good clean movie I enjoy watching it