Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on August 6, 2013
This book is a must if you want to really understand how COM/ATL is put together.
The only reason it got 4 stars from me was because the examples are a challenge to compile due
to new versions of coclasses and VSs since the book was written. So expect some debugging and fixes.
I am using VC2005 in Windows 8, so I am having some hard time to get the objects to be registered and
instantiated properly. Still working on it. So be prepared to do a lot of web search about 32bit/64bit registries,
however, the contents of this book added to the author's approach of starting with a simple concept and
transforming it into a beast as the book progresses, make up for the hiccups of the samples.

Highly recommend this book. If you first venture into ATL and get lost (most likely), get this book and you
will have a new appreciation for what ATL does for you.
on January 15, 2007
This book is the perfect example of a good "Computer" book: It teaches what it needs to teach in a way you understand.

It covers all the important stuf like BSTRs, Smart Pointers, DCOM, TLBs, IDLs and other buzz-like acronyms.

I used it as an only reference for learning COM and I was doing complex COM projects within weeks. Andrew Troelsen is 'the man'!

Best regards,
on July 5, 2006
Apart from the fact that so many customers gave 5 stars to this book, there's another indicator of its value: it looks like nobody wants to resell it after they are done reading it. I, for one, intend to keep it for reference...

I've been programming in C# for a few years, and now I needed to learn COM. This book was the best tech manual I've ever read.

My recommendation is: if you need to learn COM, do not waste your money on any other book until you've read this one.
3 people found this helpful
on February 16, 2006
Describe low level COM and then ATL internals and interfaces which can let reader easily understand such complex mechanism. Though the book is a little bit old, it can still be served as a good reference.
One person found this helpful
on December 6, 2001
I have lots of computer books on many subjects, mostly programing. This is one of the best and most clearly written ones I own. It makes learning COM very easy, and I really like the way it starts out writing very simple COM components, without the use of "wizards." The wizards are nice, but it is very important to understand the code they generate should you need to modify it or in case something goes wrong with the wizard. If you want to learn COM get this book.
on September 29, 2010
Iv'e received this book a few weeks ago and I was amazed how clear and straightforward it was. Explanations are clear, lots of nice examples and tips and tricks.
I'm very satisfied with this book and I'll recommend it to my friends.
on September 16, 2012
I would not recommend this book. It was good for its time, but it is terribly dated. It references Microsoft's Java product! It also refers to MS Visual Studio 6.0. If you find a newish book by the author I would be neutral to it with regard to other authors. I find the WROX titles usually better than most of the other offerings.
One person found this helpful
on June 21, 2003
If you have the time to study, I mean REALLY study, and time to do the examples from start to finish (I don't), and want to know how COM works under the hood, this is probably a good book. However, sorry, but I could care less about HOW things work under the hood, I just want them to work so I can concentrate on my application. It also jumps around too much, important things you really need to know to make ATL COM objects are scattered throughtout the book (thank goodness it has a good index).
5 people found this helpful
on December 13, 2012
My husband used this in his class and he had no complaints, however he is a nerd so who knows
VINE VOICEon December 26, 2000
The book is not perfect. I did run across a few mistakes; I had some trouble with a couple of the examples. But this book is far and away the best tutorial on COM and ATL that is out there. It is more than a simplistic introduction. The author starts with simple concepts, usually in straight C++, and progresses in a very logical sequence to an intermediate level using ATL. Many subtleties are covered but in context of the overall presentation. There is none of this inexplicable, out of context pandering to fellow COM gurus that seems to motivate so many software authors.
This book is easily superior to "Beginning ATL 3 COM," "COM+ From the Ground Up," and "Creating Lightweight Components." The other ATL book that is good is "Active Template Library," but this book is better and more recent. For example, it does a far better job of explaining ATL internals. Amazingly, the explanations of ATL are in many ways superior to a book on the market that purports to be solely an ATL internals book. Of course, the difference is that one author can write, the other cannot.
In any event I do not hesitate in declaring this book at this time to be the one book that is best at explaining and conducting a thoroughgoing learning session in COM and ATL. I applaud the author for rising above the mediocrity that so typifies programming books.
46 people found this helpful