|Print List Price:||$7.99|
Save $3.00 (38%)
Deviance (The London Psychic Book 3) Kindle Edition
|Length: 236 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $7.49 when you buy the Kindle book.
Matchbook Price: $0.99
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top Customer Reviews
Jamie Brooke, once Detective Sergeant Jamie Brooke, is now on her own after resigning from the police force at the end of the previous book. Her daughter Polly's death and the phantasmagoria she's endured on her last few cases have been too much. She walked away and into the dull world of keeping tabs on cheating husbands as a private detective. But perhaps her biggest case is solving who she is, where she belongs, which people she feels the greatest connection to and what she values most. Her journey begins as she weaves her way through a celebration of London's deviants at the Cross Bones Cemetery in honor of the Outcast Dead, where she recognizes a waif of a young woman named O, her body beneath her clothing extensive covered in body art of an octopus erotically cloaking her body. Jamie meets an urban shaman named Magda Raven (Morgan Le Fey? Mary Magdalene?), witnesses the sex trade that built London, and the evil others can bring down on those who dare live outside the strict boundaries of polite London society.
The villains in this book are the bright side of the penny with charisma, standing on the moral high ground; the heroes are those labeled deviants who feed the hungry, protect the vulnerable, and have released their pain in the beauty of body art. Look twice. Those we shun because they're not like us may not have buried their secrets of truly deviant childhoods to fester and boil over into greed and gore and the torture of others. Look yet again. The upstanding citizens may not be who they seem.
Blake is here, too, his gloved hands protecting him from his gift as he works his safe and predictable job, walking a slender thread of losing his safety and a freefall into the that which he fears most--himself. There is a bond between Blake and Jamie that pulls him further out of his isolation and towards acceptance of himself. With his help, Jamie is able to risk it all and bring down, for the moment, the evil that threatens the destruction of London's history and macabre beauty.
Throbbing beneath this story is the author's love of London. I've been to London several times and done quite a bit of wandering (OK, I was lost, but it still counts as wandering), only to find myself in places I couldn't understand and was tempted not to fear. But I ran, asked for directions, and retreated to the facade that felt safe but robbed me, and other tourists, of the depths the city holds. Now I want to go back. And when I do, my eyes will be to the skies in search of swarming ravens. And I will follow.
Another thing I like about Ms. Penn's books is the education regarding various subjects such as history of places or groups of people in and around London. Although I still think her books are way too short, she manages to get a lot into a small space and keep the thrills coming. I would highly recommend this as well as her other books. Those opposed to blood and violence in a novel might find it offensive, however, there is much more to her books than that.
We are also reunited with O from the first book and her lover Magda. Each has their own story to tell and those are unveiled here. Together they have worked to bring some joy into the lives of those who are much less fortunate than many would suspect as they try to instill a sense of community and self-respect. Of a sudden, there looms a threat that seems overwhelmingly opposed to their existence: murders by a skin collector for their tattoos, destruction of the Kitchen, attempted destruction of Cross Bones Graveyard and attacks on Jamie, Magda and Olivia.
This book is yet another dive into the darkness that humans have in their hearts and souls, but there is trust, hope and light for those who fight for it.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Tattoo is the theme explored in “Deviance” and with extensive research on the history of body modification Ms.Read more
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Supernatural > Psychics
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Women Sleuths
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Crime
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Supernatural > Psychics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > British
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Medical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Crime Fiction > Murder
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Crime Fiction > Noir
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Crime Fiction > Vigilante Justice
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > International Mystery & Crime
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Series
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Women Sleuths
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Suspense > Paranormal > Psychics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Crime
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Psychological