Industrial Deals Best Books of the Year So Far Men's Summer Sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo All-new Show Mode Charging Dock Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Devil.May.Care
Format: Paperback|Change

on October 14, 2017
Who's good and who's evil? It's not as black and white as Ana once believed. Angels, demons, and mortals come together as Ana struggles with her new-found angel identity and resulting abilities. I loved the tension and love story between Ana and Dylan, the bad boy from hell (literally...). Devil.May.Care turns traditional views of angels and demons upside down.
on November 8, 2014
I really enjoyed this novel. The characters were believable. I like the authors twist on good and evil. I recommend this novel if you like the good vs. evil tone.
on December 10, 2012
Jolene Ballard Gutierrez's story is a lovely contemporary romance interwoven around angels and demons. It has just the right dose of suspense to keep you hooked to the end in terms of how the main protagonist, Ana, will deal with her newfound being and original fantasy vices and powers to bring evil to justice. That we are kept wondering until the very end who's good and who's evil lures us into snitching time away from our other obligations to read straight through to the end. The scenes, light on sex and violence, make for crossover appeal to adults and young adults. It's a pleasant surprise when you stumble upon the title of the story in the text--I love how the author maneuvered it into the content. I can definitely see a sequel to this story, and I hope the author is already busy writing it.
2 people found this helpful
on September 29, 2012
This was a great first effort by this librarian - turned writer. I want to know what comes next in the story and hope she writes more soon. This was a nice twist on a genre that is bursting at the seams.
on November 2, 2011
Devil.May.Care By Jolene Ballard Gutierrez was such a delight to read. I loved that with the start of each chapter, we were given a quote that set the feeling for that chapter. One of my favourite quotes would have to be quote by Confucius on chapter 9 - "Every truth has four corners: as a teacher I give you one corner and it is for you to find the other three". Another thing I loved about Devil.May.Care was that the characters and also the story keep my attention all the way though the book. I felt that the story's plot was paced just right and the characters were enjoyable to read thought out most of the book. But with every book there is all ways things that just didn't seem right for me.

With Devil.May.Care, I had a few "What The ...." moments with some of the things the main character Ana said or did. What stuck out the most for me was that the first time Ana saw/meet Dylan [her main love interest in the book] she said "I didn't recall ever seeing him in the hallways and he wasn't the kind of person who was easily forgotten. I decided that I wanted to have his baby. Not right away, but someday, once we were both done with college". Now I thought that was a really strange thing for a 16 year old to say. Its been 10 years since I was 16 years old, but I hope that's not a normal thing for any 16 year old girl to think or say in 2011, if they see a hot guy. But after reading Devil.May.Care. I happily give the book: 4 Stars [CAUSE I REALLY LIKE IT ... I'M WILLING TO READ MORE]
on October 27, 2011
I really wanted to get into this story. I love angels and all they signify, but somehow this story falls short slightly. I do love the whole concept of the book where an Angel falls for a Demon.

Ana is a high school student, but shes an Angel on Earth in a human body. Shes learning how to use her Angel powers and is supposed to help with a war that supposed to start because of demons. Even with the guidance of her mentor Gabrielle and teaching her that demons are bad, she falls in love with Dylan who is a demon, and it just gets a little too intense too fast. Shes wanting to do sexual things with him almost instantly and the story just doesn't flow as well as I would have liked. The ending leaves a little to be desired and doesn't really resolve all the issues in the book.

Ana's frame of mind through the book jumps around way too much even for a high school student. One minutes shes in total love, then hates the person, then is crying hysterically. Kind of hard to follow her frame of mind. If Ana wasn't so emotional the book would have had a great story line to it.

You can also read different reviews for Devil.May.Cry that range in ratings before deciding on the book. Krystal at Live to Read blog gave it 5 stars or Cassay at Vamps, Weres and Cassay OH My! rated it a 4.8 out of 5.
on September 20, 2011
This novel was impossible to put down. The main character, Ana, is the main draw to the novel. Ana is honest to a fault, refreshingly clear with regards to her intentions, and caring. She remains a constant throughout the novel.

As far as angel books go, this book offers an interesting new perspective. The author explains quite clearly and succinctly, the reader won't be confused or left wondering. The author incorporates the angels into the novel as characters, they aren't left to the readers' imagination and they are given distinct personalities. The main character has a guardian angel that isn't the love interest, a major difference as compared to many other angel books.

Dylan is the love interest, the most intriguing quality he has is that he can smell like chocolate! He is handsome, protective of Ana, and the perfect love interest for this novel. The secondary characters, particularly Gabriel, are very fun to meet.

This novel is perfect for young adult/teen readers...even adult readers. The book ends very well, the events are fast-paced, the book is hard to put down, and the characters are very well-developed.

*complimentary review copy provided, this does not affect my opinion in any way*
3 people found this helpful
on August 30, 2011
If you thought Romeo and Juliet had issues, you haven't met Ana and Dylan. Both are on opposite sides of the mother of all family feuds. A feud that has raged from the earliest days of man.

Ana, you see, is an angel and her boo is a demon.

Try explaining that one to your pastor!

Ana meets Dylan in detention after school one day and finds herself obsessing about him. But when Ana discovers she's an angel and that her new crush is a demon, she knows things aren't going to get much easier. The other angels at her school warn her to stop seeing him. Dylan's demon buddies threaten her. About the only person who doesn't seem ready to kill her for dating a demon is her best friend, Cheyenne.

And that's before things really get hairy.

The premise of this novel drew me in. The complexity of the characters kept me reading. At first glance, it might be easy to think that anything involving angels and demons will be a pretty cut-n-dry affair. After all, angels are good, demons are bad, right? I was pleasantly surprised that this was not the case. In Ana's universe, everyone makes mistakes, even angels. Toss in a murder mystery and angels with a superiority complex and you've got yourself a great page-turner.

I wish I had an angel for a best friend. I would totally make them play my favorite ABBA songs on the harp.
2 people found this helpful
on August 25, 2011
I love the angel mythology that Jolene created in her series. Out of all the angel books I have read I felt this one expanded on the background stories of angels and the fallen angels the most interestingly. I like that Ana came right out and explained everything to her best friend Cheyenne, which normally doesn't happen. It's nice to see the best friend not get shafted and actually be part of the main characters supernatural life.

I found that Jolene's writing kept my attention and ended up reading this one pretty darn fast. I was impressed with myself. I liked the characters in Devil. May. Care they were relatable and I found some characters shocked me with their actions which didn't seem quite divine or evil enough for their respected side.

If you are a fan of Angels/Fallen Angels stories you must add Devil. May. Care to your collection
on July 31, 2011
I really enjoyed this book! Angels are one of my favorite things and I loved reading about Ana and her divine journey. Dylan, the demon that has a great job and sometimes smells like chocolate, was a sexy treat. I laughed out loud many times at his very unsubtle flirtations. He was an absolute delight.
The pacing was fantastic and I wanted to keep flipping the pages. I was disappointed when Real Life had to pull me away a few times.
I also thought the quotes that marked each chapter were an ingenious touch. The book was powerful in religious themes, but not heavy-handed. It was a joy to read and it got the mom stamp of approval, too! I have already passed it on to my teenage daughter and I suspect she will LOVE it as much as I did.
And I have to give praise to the cover art (Enrico Tomasi)It's beautiful and fitting!