Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Country Heat PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on April 26, 2017
Love Todd Snider but wish Amazon would quit sending me suggestions in the country music category. I am not a fan of current county music and Todd is not really county. Alternative Folk music or just plain great music.
on October 27, 2008
Let me first say that I had never hear of Todd Snider until I went to a show several years back with some friends. It was one of those rare transformational performances that held me transfixed, singing his songs the next day and beyond and immediately buying several albums. He is the real deal.

This album is one of my favorites, it seems to mark a transition into a more polished studio sound for him, which I think is nice, especially to hear the different versions between the studio and live performances. Several songs get the full on rock out treatment (If tomorrow never comes, The Devil You Know), which I love.

Todd Snider clearly digs what he does, and I dig it too. He deserves all the acclaim and sucess that comes his way.
on December 7, 2015
Not his best but fun none the less
on September 27, 2015
Todd Snider kicks ass. Some albums are better than others, or perhaps it's a matter of personal taste. You can't go wrong with anything that has his name on it.
on August 26, 2014
Can't get enough of this man, his music and his stories. Arrived fast, packaged well, very pleased all around.
on September 26, 2017
His best album as far as I'm concerned. I love every track
on January 9, 2007
My husband and I follow this guy around. We see him live about 2-3 times a year. While I will admit his brain seems a little fried from all the road travel (and all that that implies) he can still find the common thread amongst us all. We enjoy his music to the point of over listening and even the kids can sing every word to most, if not all, of his songs...

Especially love 'Happy New Year' and 'Looking for a Job.' Will continue to fly or drive through rain, snow, and rabid heat to see this man perform but the songs get daily play on our system...the album is well worth the purchase.

"Now Christians don't walk out on me just yet, you know it's His name I'll be calling as I'm clutching my chest..." it's just classic Todd.
on December 25, 2016
Great!
on June 27, 2013
I was expecting the Todd Snider from his albums and instead got this laid back musician. The music was outstanding, though.
on August 27, 2006
as the three albums he released on the "Oh Boy" label this decade (four if you count "Near Truths and Hotel Rooms", his live CD.) Todd does some rockin' here with a band, a la his "Viva Satellite" disc for MCA in the late '90's, but I have never thought rock was his true genre, and I've been a fan from the beginning. "The Devil You Know" starts off with the two weakest songs of the project, in my opinion, and ends with the two best. Inbetween, the slower tunes, with lyrics clearly enunciated, seem superior to any of the up-tempo efforts. This is Todd's seventh disc of new work (there is also a compilation of his best from the MCA years available) and I would rate it fifth in overall appeal. However, I am nearly 62 years old, and my favorite kind of music is confessional singer-songwriter folk and country- style stuff. When a great lyricist like Todd rocks so loud you can't clearly understand his poetry, it seems a waste to me. So my advice, if you are a fan already, is to buy this to support him, but expect to put only half of it on repeat play. If you are new to Snider, then "East Nashville Skyline" or "New Connections" or "Happy to be Here" or "Songs For The Daily Planet" are more satisfying choices. His voice sometimes cracks, but his wit saves the performances. He has been troubled by substance abuse, low sales, and less attention than he deserves, but I hope he keeps on keepin' on, because he has a distinctive talent. For an idea of what his concerts are like, buy "Near Truths and Hotel Rooms"---the closest thing to seeing Todd live you can get.
22 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse