Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 19, 2017
There are many ways to prepare a deviled (or "stuffed" egg) and I'm sure we all know a few of them. This nearly hundred-page book is bound to inspire a few more creations, though at times I think some of the recipes are eccentric or overdone. Even so, I'm giving it four stars for the good recipes, presentation, and the fact there aren't many other books like this.
Update: I have to say that I have become insanely addicted to the Texas style deviled eggs in here. They don't have the mayo and mustard base but instead utilize sour cream, chopped pickled jalapenos, salsa, hot sauce, garlic powder. kosher salt. I eliminated the chopped onions and I top with various things to show off the Texas flavor so guests know what they are getting: either a black olive, a jalapeno slice, or chopped green chilis. I then sprinkle with paprika for color. I am telling you I cannot stop eating these. They are so very addictive and different and so creamy!

Now for my original review:

What do you do when you own a chicken rescue sanctuary? Find things to do with the eggs (for the ones who do still lay). And nothing could be better than this cool book.

Let's face it, everyone loves deviled eggs--both those who get to eat them and the cook who enjoys their ease of preparation. But they've been done the same way since before I was born. It is time to turn old school into a new party food.

Well, to be honest I didn't buy this for party food--although I know holidays and gatherings are when most people make them. I find the egg a perfect snack: rich in protein and low in calories, one deviled egg keeps you going, tastes great, and doesn't break the calorie bank of what you just worked off on the treadmill.

First I suggest an egg cooker from Amazon. Using steam to cook the eggs, they peel far more easily and cook perfectly every time.

Then grab a bowl and spoon and try some new taste sensations for snacking and party-going:

For example, let's do Texas style: mostl of these start with your traditional recipe base pretty much--mayo and mustard etc) but this one eliminated those and adds: salsa, sour cream, chopped onion, hot sauce, garlic powder, pickled jalapeños, and crushed tortilla chips for garnish. Now who would not ask for that recipe after a Tex/Mex party?

Some kind of freaked me out: devil's food eggs? Is this just a play because they are called deviled eggs? Chocolate deviled eggs? Not to mention the freaky flavor profile, the first thing you learn in culinary school is to never serve anything that is soft and squishy and brown...just not appetizing to see brown mounds in these eggs white bases. That one was reaching too far for my taste so let me return to some creative and original recipes you might actually want as a snack or appetizer (and please don't serve the brown mounds):

pimiento cheese deviled eggs (ironically I had a recipe for these published in Southern Living magazine years ago that mirrored this recipe. Seriously)

blue devils (with blue cheese and bacon)

eggs with chili powder and green olives added to the mix

Italian eggs with chopped pepperoni, herb seasoning, parmesan in the base

avocado angel eggs: This picture doesn't look appetizing as the eggs look green and runny but in reality this is much like guacamole in an egg and you don't need to over mix it; it looks much better in person--leaving chunks of the avocado. Still, I would personally suggest topping with a dab of salsa to offset the green. Topping with a pimiento would also be a great Christmas idea for red and green eggs.

others have brisket and barbecue sauce, or asian style, or florentine style, or various takes on traditional ingredients, or unusual ingredients like pickapeppa sauce, or try Tuscany style with rosemary, or how about a dirty martini deviled eggs, or go fancy with caviar, or add crabmeat, avocado, capers and garlic...I could go on and on but you get the picture.

Honestly, it's just a world of creativity and fun in reworking this favorite snack and finding your favorites. I like to do a wide variety of dishes for parties and this is one of those dishes you can make ahead and don't need to heat so while I know I will use this book endlessly for things like that, I'll be personally enjoying many of them for my own snacking in the meantime.
22 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 10, 2014
I had a Christmas party and my niece came over to help me so I gave her deviled egg duty and she put the yolks down the garbage disposal! Since her mom, my sister, always made the best deviled eggs when I was little, I assumed my niece would have acquired her skills but I was wrong! haha So I bought this for my niece as a gag gift for her birthday and I looked at the recipes before I wrapped it up and there are so many cool and unique recipes in there that I would never have thought to try. Deviled Eggs are delicious but I can see how you'd want to change it up a little bit and the recipes in this book are very creative. Can't wait for the next party because my niece has now been appointed the honorary deviled egg maker, as long as she follows the recipes in this book! A+ man! A++++
on May 26, 2016
A recipe to suit everyone's palate. Love this Southern Lady and her wry sense of humor. This book could be called Deviled Eggs 101 because of the wonderful "asides" all through it. The recipes range from your grandmother's deviled egg to more worldly flavors of India and Greece. Great not just for the recipes, but all the comments and fun make for an interesting little read. And, as we in the South know only too well, you can't make a decent deviled egg with anything but Duke's mayo, none of that Yankee stuff for us.
on September 14, 2017
This is a good book with good information, but I prefer the D'lish Deviled Egg book.
on September 11, 2017
It was what I expected. Works as advertised.
on June 28, 2017
Love deviled eggs. I serve them to my Mahjongg playing friends when we meet and they love the variety.
on June 5, 2017
GREAT RECIPES
on May 25, 2013
I purchased this book late last year and I have to say that I am having a blast making deviled eggs. The recipes are so easy, in fact today I had to take some appetizer to a bridal shower and so I made the "Ann's Midwestern Style Deviled Eggs" and "Yo' Mamas' Deviled Eggs" and they where a hit!! The recipes are made with basically stuff you have in your own pantry. For the Super Bowl I made the "Pimento Cheese Deviled Eggs" -- talk about men running to the table away from the TV. LOL -- a must have for your cook book collection.
on February 24, 2017
Bought these as an additional gift to go along with the porcelain deviled egg dish I was giving as Christmas gifts. The recipients loved the dish but were thrilled with the recipe booklet. So many different ways to prepare deviled eggs!