BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 30, 2015
Good show, good set. I was concerned about the quality of the box, since many reviews were highly negative about it. Turns out a very sturdy box, that would fool quite a few people into thinking it's real wood. Box has a heft to it and real brass hinges, it's really should not be a concern to anyone.
Few negatives:
- the supplied poster book does not fit into box, so you have to store it separately
- box is huge. The dimensions are 14x7.5x6 inches. Collectors and devotees of the show would love it. Casual fans, like myself will struggle to find a shelf space big enough to accommodate it. There is lots of wasted space. Blu-ray set contains 25 disks, but there are 42 slots in the box to fit in paper cards and fake blood slides. So the box could be almost half the size and still fit the entire 8 seasons plus bonus disk.
- Assembly is required. This is minor, but when you get the package, there is outer cover, that you would have to discard, then the box itself and the disks are housed in the temporary small container within the box. It takes good 10 minutes to slide them all into slots within a box. I almost wished the carton box that the disks are stored in temporarily would have more finished look, so I would put that on shelf and not the box.

For casual fans, especially if you already running out of space to store all your Blu-Rays, this gift set would be a mixed blessing. I really wish they would release just a regular, no thrills compact Blu-Ray set that I can use to watch the show.
on December 19, 2016
Dexter: The Complete Series Collection

The Box is cardboard, not wood and the latch just swivels up and down but does latch the top. The numbers marking the slots are just printed on a piece of cheap paper and glued to the edge of the cardboard box and the numbers in the lid are just as cheap looking and not aligned very well. Seems to me that for $100 + the quality should be better. They could take a lesson from the Son's of Anarchy boxed set . . . now that is quality.

I am sure the content is great . . . but don't know because I returned mine for a replacement. The latch seemed broken, the seal on the disc box was cut open, the book cover was torn and the divider tabs were split and bent (no protection from the disc box lid smashing the tabs). This set looks used.

Hope the replacement is better as I really do want to watch the early seasons and I like the packaging concept, just not the execution.

Received my replacement and the quality was much better . . . no broken latch, bent tabs, etc. I still am a little disappointed with the packaging (cardboard verses wood), but overall, I like it. Almost through season 2.
on November 12, 2013
So I just received this in the mail and I was really excited to see how it came out. I was happy and disappointed at the same time. Overall the product looked very nice and is an awesome addition to my Dexter Collection, but I felt it could have been much better.

The Box:

Very nice, it has "Dexter: The Complete Series" printed on both sides. The "wood" finish isn't really wood, but a paper cover instead. The numbering on the inside is also paper. It Top of the box starts at "1" but the bottom of the box starts with "42." That may be hard to understand but it doesn't seem like it should be that way. The only problem I had was the top and bottom of the box didn't line up. The top was a little shorter than the bottom.

The Inside:

This is what disappointed me the most. The "Blood Slides" that held the disc in was only one sided. Half of my DVD's were already popped out and it was frustrating. I don't know why they could have added a second side to secure the disc inside. Another thing, though minor, was the fact that there was a clear, transparent "thing" I don't want to say paper but I can't think of the word right now. It was placed on the other side of the disc holder to make it look like a blood slide. It had a red circle and gave it the real feel, but instead of imprinting it on the case, it was taped on to the back. Some of the slides didn't match up with each other so that was frustrating as well.

The Grafix Art Book:

It was a nice addition, it just added some artwork and photos that were taken throughout the seasons of Dexter. It even had the season prints that I really liked. It was a nice addition but nothing super special.

Overall, I still think it is a very nice product, maybe not worth the $219 price tag, but if the price ever drops, I would definitely buy it. This is a piece of Dexter Memorabilia that you will be glad to make apart of your collection.

This is also my first review so I tried my best at explaining everything.
99 comments| 223 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2014
I was waiting on this boxed set for quite a while. I mean, I read a lot of negative reviews about it and was considering not buying it. But, what's the alternative...buying each season separately in a plain blu-ray box?

My expectations were pretty low, but I decided at $160 it was actually cheaper than buying the season individually...so how bad could it actually be?

It's true that the box is faux wood, with a faux brand of the show's logo. But, seriously what do people expect to get? A finely crafted oak box? People are unrealistic in what they expect. I will say that if this set was selling for $350-$400, I would expect something more.

Anyway, for $160, this is really a nice set despite the cheap look. I'm very pleased with it. I am considering actually making my own box out of quality wood. It would take me hours and probably cost $50 in material. But, that's my solution to the faux wood.

The paper glued to the lid of the box is just plain stupid. I don't know what that's about. I'd tear it out if I didn't think it would look worse afterwards. It really is ugly and pointless.

I like how they got the order correct. (some have complained about this) If you looked at the way Dexter kept his trophies, he organized them from the hinge of the box towards the front...filling them in from the back first. This is how it should be.
The little strip of paper that identifies (numbers) the slots is tacky and unnecessary however.
on May 16, 2014
I saw this set on a Deal of the Day and had to jump on the deal. I love this box set because it is clever (fans of the show will know why). It also feels solid, despite the fact that it is not truly a wooden box. The box is made of a heavy cardboard, and with care should last a great deal of time. The graphic book is a nice addition. However, you will probably look through it once and then forget about it. It only contains promotional photos and no behind the scene shots. There is also a minimal amount of text in the book. There are only two downsides to this set (excluding the fact that it is not a real wooden box. They were able to manufacture wooden boxes for the coaster set, so why not for this?) One downside is that the box is very, very large. It is larger than a shoe box and it is heavy. It is very obvious looking at the product, that some of the box could have been trimmed to reduce the size a bit. I have no idea where I am going to display this. It is that large (13 3/4" L, 7.5"W, 6" H)! Also, the CD "cases" are not actual cases. They are the back portion of CD cases and they do not hold the DVD's very well. I do not know if this was done to cut corners, but for such an expensive set, it is unacceptable. It is inevitable that some of the DVD's will fall out. So be mindful of this and be very careful. The CD cases also have a large clear sticker on the back of them with red blood splatter. These stickers come off very easily when you remove the cases and place them back into their respective slots. This could have been improved upon.

I have not gone through the extras yet, so I cannot comment on that. The series is great though (despite the questionable ending). This set is worth it if you can get it at a decent price (less than $120).
on April 20, 2017
I'm a little disappointed that the DVD box isn't real wood, but instead a hard cardboard with a "wood like" contact paper wrap. And the lid is not glass or a see through plastic. Additionally the blood sample DVD holders are poorly done. The Grafix book is pretty nice however, it lacks of any background or behind the scene stories or facts, which makes it a little on the boring side.
Now I just hope all the DVDs work, it could be months before I know for certain.
on December 17, 2015
This set is a must have for any fan of the series. The blurays look and sound amazing and really represents the series faithfully. I won't go on and on about the show because at this point, everyone knows what the show is about. The bluray set looks like a real wooden box and the blood slides are really slick. Everything comes together real nicely and looks fabulous sitting on the shelf. I believe it to bw worth $120 or less considering how many discs there are and the look of the set! 5☆☆☆☆☆'s
on August 18, 2014
This is the perfect fan service. If you haven't seen the show, and have a blu-ray player, it's just as perfect for you as it is for returning Dexter fans. The blood slide collection Idea for storing the discs was amazing, and truly works out great. The only slight annoyance at all about this set up is that you have to organize the discs into the right slide slots by yourself, but it wasn't a big deal and only took me about 15 minutes to do. I love this show, and I couldn't have asked for a better complete series edition. Thanks Showtime! (ON A SIDE NOTE, if you haven't seen the show, just make sure that you SKIP the intros to inserting the DVDs, because they sometimes flash a spoiler or 2 from that season. I'd say that this wasn't a wise idea to include, as I had some friends complain that it did spoil certain things, but that's just my heads up as someone who has watched the entire show.)
on June 21, 2015
This review is for the packaging only. I really only had two problems.
1. The "wooden" box that the discs sit in is actually thick cardboard. It's sturdy but not half as nice as the wood would have been.
2. The discs sit in half shells. So essentially on the side of the discs is unprotected. I really wonder why the makers slumped on that in particular. It's not like slim jewel cases are expensive.

I only paid $130 for mine and I'm satisfied as I'd be lucky to find the individual bluray seasons at $20 a piece so it just worked out to be cheaper this way. Just thought this info might be helpful.
on March 2, 2016
Even after reading all the reviews and knowing what to expect as far as the box set quality goes, I'm still a bit disappointed in this product for the price. The blood slides and the discs, along with the book of photos/artwork related to the show are all fine. But the cardboard box that contains everything is a bit disappointing. The cardboard itself is sturdy so it's ok in that manner, but the wood grain look is just basically stickers on the cardboard. Stickers which I may add have already started to come unstuck along a few edges, and we've only had this for a couple of months (and have hardly touched it).