Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 4, 2015
I don't do a whole lot of video game recording so I bought this back in August of 2012 to get a feel of how this work. I went with Diamond because they used to be the company I went for when it came to video cards a very long time ago and wanted to give them a try again. Another reason I was eyeballing this was because it doesn't require too many cables and was powered by USB so it was perfect for laptop so I didn't need to have a PC next to my TV and consoles. I was also not familiar with Elgato or Hauppauge at the time when I was shopping around. I eventually moved no Hauppauge 3 months later and never been happier and am now looking at the Elgato Standard/H60 for its portability.

The Diamond GC1000 worked well on Windows 7 but it was when I upgraded to Windows 8 that the problems started happening. Diamond didn't bother updating the software to Windows 8 until 7-8 months later (April of 2013). With windows 8, another problem I ran into with the Diamond GC1000 is that I use this maybe once every 3-4 months on a Samung Laptop with 8GB of memory and a core i5 and everytime I run it in Windows 8.1, it just doesn't work. I have to uninstall and reinstall DMcap and the drivers to fix the issue because all I get from the video feedback was a black screen instead of a blue screen. This is with version 1.0 of their software.

As of 6/2/2015, doing the uninstall/reinstall doesn't help anymore with version 1.02 of DMcap and its drivers on Windows 8.1, the video feedback locks up when I hit the record button but you see a timer indicating that it is recording, when you stop the recording 3 minutes later all you get is a 4MB file which is like the first 3 seconds of the video.

The lack of support for this device is just disappointing. When it worked, it does a good job. But now? There's not reason to buy this, spend a little more money and get the Hauppauge or Elgato which is still updating their software.
2 people found this helpful
on March 23, 2015
Awesome Capture card, my entire team uses this card in all the studios, which is three of them.
a little finiky, but nothing a quick google wont fix, it can be a bit wonky, and the DM cap program is a bit off sometimes.
Def helps to have a PC with more than 2 ram (common except for with me)
the hd output can be easily modified to use YWR cables instead of composite, by usuing the Y port, making retro easy to record.
this product is amazing for those looking to do anything gaming related!
check out our uses over on Youtube gamegoofs over there to get an idea of the content it can be used to produce.
review image
3 people found this helpful
on May 29, 2014
I can't give it one star because it does technically work, but it only seems to work sometimes. The device itself works but the drivers you have to install on your computer do not work so well. Constant crashes, error messages, and Recording interruptions are to be expected. Maybe the software just doesn't agree with my type of laptop, but even then there are the recording issues; PS3 footage cannot be recorded at all on this device via HDMI, although AV is just fine if you run yours that way. N64 footage is not possible, for some reason it captures the first image it sees and loops it over your recording footage repeatedly. If you are like me and are looking for the best way to record footage from several consoles just save up and buy something better, I regret not doing that.
3 people found this helpful
on August 13, 2017
UPDATE: YOU CAN USE THE GAME SHARE SOFTWARE ON DIAMONDS WEBSITE IT RUNS WAY BETTER, SO INSTEAAD OF DM CAP USE GAMESHARE.

I bought this product about two years ago, and it was great , a big improvement, the capture quality is great( set it to 18 k) , so it will look okay on youtube standards. The software itself is bad with the constant crashing after ten minutes or so, I use OBS to window capture my gameplay as it is more reliable than the dm cap.
on October 30, 2015
This device is completely useless. The DMCap software flickers and produces completely unusable video. Diamond won't support it because it was sold by Circuit City and Circuit City wouldn't accept returns saying Diamond has to support it. I lost my money and they all gave me the run around.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on September 30, 2013
not much help from diamond!! it was my pc it had sum bad files on it the it now works on xp - 7 and 8 but the video is a bit too crapy for what wanted it for but good for old vhs and dvd,s and Stuff it works great on a new dvd thu component in and s video but you can forget hdmi on most things it works on hmdi but the video gets a audio tack beat too it I WUD SAVE MY BUCKS AND LEAVE IT ALONE! I HAVE BEEN testing it for 30 days on 3 dif pc,s its still crap for 100 bucks........ hope this saves some pain in the head! for some one
|11 comment|Report abuse
on July 23, 2015
I enjoyed the device but now the software gets a little clumsy when recording, I would record and sometimes it would freeze, I'd have to set the input source to component again. I'm still having problems with the software. I also wish that the software came with narrating options. Overall it's a pretty good capture card besides the wonky program that it comes with.
One person found this helpful
on August 1, 2014
Only rating this a 3 because it works and is good quality and easy to use. If your looking for somthing to live stream with this not what your looking for. It does not work for obs, xsplit or evio or whatever. In regard .I would take the time to save and spend money on an elgato or somthing in that nature. This product is not worth 100$ . Maybe 50$ take your time and spend the money on somthing right
on December 30, 2013
It's basically recording in 720p. i tried recording at 1080i but my screen was making wierd images and such. but the human eye can't differenciate between 720 and 1080. basically consoles are at 720p so yea.
on May 4, 2014
I was a bit skeptical about purchasing this device to capture video from a digital camcorder, but nw that i've purchased & used this device i am proud to say that it works perfect for capturing from a digital camcorder. i use a sony HDR-CX110 with component video output. In addition, it works perfect on win 8.1 pro 64bit
One person found this helpful