Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,619 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,903 reviews
on February 15, 2016
Let me first say that I tried 'em all before this one: TOTMC, EZCAP, even the Elgato with limited (if any) results. The TOTMC was the best of those three, which actually would capture video and audio but the problem was the audio broke up a lot in the final MPEG2 using the given software (ShowBiz). Upon this, I decided it was the capture's fault and bought an EZCap (again supplied with ShowBiz). This one did the exact same thing, with even worse results. Then decided "oh, I'm not spending enough!" and sprung for the Elgato. Well, those drivers wouldn't even install on my system (Win7Pro, x64), so that was a true waste. After reading a ton of reviews, and even two pages stating 'it's YOUR fault frames are dropping and sound is cutting out, here's what YOU can do, it's NOT your capture device!' -- tried all of that and decided to try a new program (PowerDirector) with the TOTMC capture device. I got the best transfer with that program/device combo -- but now the problem was the audio was falling out of sync about 4 minutes into the captured MPEG2. Tried with an update of ShowBiz 5. Same deal.

Read more reviews. More experience accounts.

I noticed that this little thing which was modestly priced was getting rave reviews pretty much across the board -- so as a last resort, before delving into a $200 capture "box" -- I decided, why not give this DIAMOND a go? The worst that can happen is I return it.

Didn't happen. Doesn't have to happen.

This thing captured the audio and video of my VHS tapes PERFECTLY with all the programs I used (though if you can shell out, I do recommend PowerDirector for its many features). Hands down. No issues. As simple as all the others promised.

HINT: I took a cue from the reviews and downloaded the drivers from Diamond myself before actually plugging it in (and not letting Windows Update find them first -- besides "USB Composite Device" driver, which I think WU does find, though it could just as well have been in the install package on Diamond's website) DO NOT install the drivers from the software included in the box when you buy this. They are old and outdated.

For those who are curious, I bought this to make DVD-resolution transfers of my VHS tapes that were either self-made, or things that are not on DVD yet. While this product (nor any video capture device) doesn't FIX your VHS tapes that do have damage, at least you get EXACTLY what you see and hear on the capture screen as it imports.

Fantastic device.
0Comment| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2011
My system: Toshiba L505 laptop with AMD dual core processor & Win 7
My person: Middle-aged guy who has been swapping out guts of computers and dealing with software issues for 2 decades.

I had been waiting for a gadget like this for a long time. A few years ago, you would have had to buy a box to do this job, so I was pleased to see an inexpensive way to get this done. I really read the reviews thoroughly before buying this item, so I wanted to address some of the issues that worried me when I read them.

First, if you used a tape that cost you $2.98 for 17 of them, don't be foolish enough to think that turning the video digital is going to perform magic tricks. My old camcorder tapes were expensive master tapes, used with a high-end [for the time] Panasonic PV330 camcorder. When I captured video from tapes of lesser quality, it was immediately evident.

I read people saying that they experienced out-of-sync conditions. With my Win 7 system, I saw no such thing. Then there are installation and documentation issues. The documentation is quite lacking, especially when you consider the problems that some users mentioned. Primary among these was - the first time I installed the software, I had already plugged in the device. When you do this, Windows automatically searches for a driver - and will find one! When you start the software installation, the first step is to load a driver from the disk. Don't do it! If windows has already loaded a driver, SKIP this step, otherwise it will really mess you up! After I had to go back and restore my computer back to an earlier date, I let the win driver load, loaded up the CD and skipped the driver on it and everything was fine. Also, there will be a green bar across the bottom of the screen in the software where you view the captured video - so like one reviewer already said, just close the software, start it up again, and everything is fine. That's where the documentation comes in - they have no business not addressing these issues in their manual. Granted, there isn't much to this product, but issues like these need to be addressed so the user knows that she/he is not doing something wrong. With the driver, I think we have gotten so use to the installation taking care of conflict issues that we don't even think about this stuff any more.

As far as the software is concerned, it is pretty rudimentary stuff. I always capture in the MPEG (DVD) format on to an external drive, 'cause the files are big. For editing, the Ulead stuff isn't worth too much - in fact I've had it stop working all together a few times, so I don't use it. Actually, Win 7 has enough built in do do most of the flat-out basic editing and burning. Just capture the video, close down the One Touch (the file will already be saved in whatever folder), and use whatever editing software you want. Also - if you are using software that lets you capture, I don't think you have to use the button on the VC500.

Sorry about all the blabber, but there are problems with this gadget, but they can be worked around. It's a shame that there is any guessing involved. And for me, it's worth the 30 odd bucks to capture 20 year old videos of the kids on a DVD.
1818 comments| 585 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2014
Great product. It does exactly what I purchased it for.I’m glad I wasn't swayed by the negative reviews. I will agree that the “directions” are dismal ie nonexistent… but with a little google searching, I was able to figure it out. For reference, I used the system with my PC laptop and my cable DVR box to record a few clips from when my husband was interviewed by a local news station. I then transferred my files to a USB memory stick.

My biggest issue with most directions and detailed reviews is all the tech talk. I start to glaze over into la-la land with talk of Gbs and operating systems. Here’s my attempt at non-tech directions:

1. Install the EZGrabber software from the included disc. I followed the on-screen directions and it was very straightforward. I did install all 3 included programs, but have only used the EZGrabber. I will use my Windows Movie Maker to clip out the commercials.

2. Create a new folder – DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP - I created it in my C: drive . I did not do this originally and it caused a bit of an issue. The default folder is C:/Program Files (x86)/EZ Grabber/My Videos . I could not find this folder following the chain of locations. According to other forums, it is a “Virtual” folder and was not visible in my computer searches. With some trial and error, I figured out how to access the video clips and will detail those steps at the end of this review.

3. Connect the Red, Yellow, and White connectors (RCA I think) to the device that has your recordings. Then connect the other end to the Diamond VC500.

4. Turn on your playback system and have it ready to play what you want to record.

5. Connect the USB of the Diamond VC500 to your computer.

6. Open the EZGrabber on your computer – you must do this AFTER you have connected the Diamond VC500 to your computer. Open the settings (Yellow gear on upper right corner of control panel).

Video tab; Video Format: NTSC_M (No idea what this is, but it worked)
Video Source: Composite
Capture Button tab; Capture video

Snapshot tab; I didn’t change anything here

Record tab; Format – DVD (according to some decent youtube videos, AVI is the highest quality but is also creates the largest file. DVD quality was fine for my needs)
Save Folder: Browse and find the folder you created

7. When you’re ready to record, press the round record button on your Diamond VC500. When you’re finished, press the stop button on the EZGrabber controller on your computer (red square, bottom right corner).

8. Now you can move or edit your recordings as needed.

9. If you didn’t create a new folder and can’t find your C:/Program Files (x86)/EZ Grabber/My Videos:

Click on the file folder on the EZGrabber controller – button on far left. From the “Look In” box, follow the folders C: , then Program Files (x86), then EZ Grabber. Once in EZ Grabber, you will see 3 folders, two have a small padlock in front of it, including the My Videos. Right click on this folder. Mid way down the list you’ll see the option “Include in Library.” I selected “Videos” and then I was able to find my recorded clips in my Video folder. Hope this helps!
review image
on March 4, 2017
follow the instruction exactly and in order but it was easy enough to set up. i could get it to record for me and messed around for a couple of hours then called the Diamond Tech people. It tured out the VC500 was recording but my movie maker was not playing correctly. So I got it all recording and playing but two glitches in the unit. Sometimes when i restart for another record the screen will go black and the audio is still hearable. It is recording ok but to get the screen back on I have to stop and reset everything and start over. Another issue is that I can't get the unit to record over about 10 minutes. I have left it to record a 30 minute VHS-c tape and it will just cut off the first 20 minutes and leave only the last 10 minutes. Thats annoying to have to go back and record the first part of the tape again. Picture quality off my older VHS-c tapes is grainy on the saved DVD file but I assume that is because of the old tapes and not the VC500 or or EZGrabber software.
on September 13, 2017
I've been using this program for a little over a month. The program does allow me to transfer my old VHS tapes, but that's only because I already own a DVD burner. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone who doesn't already own a DVD burner or is willing to buy one. It would be impossible to transfer most tapes because the program will detect "copyright protection" even where there is none. It seems to react to certain types of breaks in the recordings. For example, if you have a VHS tape with several recordings on it, this program might record the first recording but when the pops and flickers happen between recordings, this program will stop the recording and a pop-up will say that the tape is Copyright protected, even though it's just a regular blank tape with nonprotected recordings. I discovered that you can bypass that problem by first transferring the recordings to DVD, Then transfer the DVD recordings through the program, rather than the VHS. It works, but it's probably the only way to make it work. Otherwise, this program would be very frustrating, and impossible to transfer most tapes.
They do offer live customer service which is nice but when I called to ask for help, the guy was very rude at first and just hung up the phone on me. I called back and he eventually helped me, but was not nice at all at first.
on January 8, 2016
I am using this on Ubuntu 14.04 like others that have posted here and it has been rock solid. For some reason VLC will not capture long enough (kept cutting off around 13-18 minutes) so I found the advice of the other guys here that are capturing the video and audio separately and splicing them back together. I figured there had to be a better way. I am now capturing everything together and adding metadata at the same time. Below is the single (long) command to accomplish it. Notice: I am capturing from a mono device with the intention of matching what would normally come out of Handbrake to be placed and viewed from a media server to devices that require AAC audio so modify this long line to suite your needs.

avconv -f video4linux2 -i /dev/video0 \
-f alsa -i plughw:Cx231xxAudio,0 -strict experimental -acodec aac -ac 1 -ar 48000 -ab 160k \
-metadata title="Title Movie" -f mp4 -vcodec libx264 -crf 27 -filter:v yadif -y capture.mp4

you can find out what your audio device is by running arecord -l (instead of the hw:1,0 everyone was using with sox). mine was Cx231xxAudio,0

card 1: Cx231xxAudio [Cx231xx Audio], device 0: Cx231xx Audio [Conexant cx231xx Capture]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Hope this helps someone. Took me a lot of poking around to get it all together.
on August 2, 2016
As for the product being able to capture a video with "EZGrabber" that works quite well and I find the video quality was as good as my VHS tape was through the VCR on TV. At first I could not get any sound from the playback when I was just trying to open the recorded Digital file with just Windows Media Player. So many people may experience this. I found by dumb luck that if I disconnected the VC500 USB 2.0 cable from the laptop and used EZGrabber and opened the saved file then it would play the sound just fine and it seems it is in sync. The other way I could play the video and hear the audio (sound) was to use Microsoft's "Windows Media Center". With that software that comes with Windows 7 it will play the video and audio just fine.

A negative comment I have is with the ArcSoft "Showbiz" software that comes with the Diamond VC500 CD does not acecpt the Product Key that is on the CD Jacket sleave. I have tried many times with different variations of the number and none would work, So the Showbiz software cannot be loaded. From reading many of the other reviews there are not any compelling reasons to even use this old software and if you go to ArcSoft's website it is not even a current product or supportable. I think Diamond Media should either fix this problem or offer another software solution for being able to edit the videos that are captured and Amazon should either indicate the problem exist or stop selling this product or offer a discount. Currently I have no digital video editing software and I was expecting to get it with the purchase of the VC500 from Diamond and Amazon. I will call amazon and discuss the issue with them. Amazon is a great company and they aim to please their customers.
on December 18, 2016
I hardly ever write reviews....we have all seen the ads "preserve your precious memories, convert them to DVD, stream them online...blah blah blah" and a company will charge a lot of big bucks to do it for you. You risk losing things in the mail, things getting destroyed by accident...So, I chose to do it myself. First I tried the $8.00 product for Walmart (VHS to DVD 3.0) what a waste of time and money. I should have known better. The reviews spoke fairly highly of the product...it did not work for me at all. Que the Diamond one touch VC500. I very dubiously purchased the Diamond one touch ...I was not expecting much. I couldn't have been more surprised! Everything worked flawlessly! Easy set up, easy capture, easy recording...easy everything. One minor draw back, there are no instructions for anything other than the set up. Luckily, I am an avid user of youtube. Looked it up, took me all of 3 minutes and I was on my way to preserving my precious memories! Very happy with the product.
on September 13, 2015
Worked great for me. I used this on 2 different PC's. Windows 8.1 the install was flawless. Installing on Windows 10 was a little tricky. The drivers don't install from the autorun program and I had to navigate to the drivers folder on the CD and run the appropriate setup. Both computers were 64 bit.

The included software and the hardware itself has minimal documentation. The EZ Grabber capture software wanted to default your videos to a folder in Program Files (x86) rather than in your user folders. The ArcSoft ShowBiz editing software also allows for capture which is what I ended up using.
on July 19, 2012
I figured that the price was too good to be true, or that it would turn out to be a cheap piece of junk. I mean, the system requirements on the box were obviously written by someone who's never used a Mac in their lives (Pentium IV or higher?! Sound card?! Graphics card that supports DirectX?!). However, I can honestly say that this is a great product, and its ease of use perfectly matches the Mac experience.

The enclosed VideoGlide software consists of two programs: Capture and Exporter. Capture will record directly from composite or S-Video (with mono or stereo audio, of course) to QuickTime format using one of several compression options, or uncompressed (approximately 50 GB per half hour). You can then use Exporter, if desired, to take the recorded videos and re-encode them to practically any other video format QuickTime supports, such as MP4. (It may be worth mentioning: I don't know whether applications besides VideoGlide--iMovie or otherwise--can record directly from the device, so don't assume that this is possible. However, iMovie should be able to easily import VideoGlide videos, so that shouldn't be a big deal.)

Setup takes just a few minutes. I used the device and software on two different Macs: a mid-2010 Mac Mini powered by a Core 2 Duo and running OS X 10.6...and a late 2005 Mac Mini using a 1.5 GHz PowerPC G4, running OS X 10.4! I was amazed to find that even the G4 had the horsepower to record compressed S-Video in real time without any noticeable lag. Of course, on older machines with smaller hard drives, you'll have to keep a watchful eye on the amount of disk space you have left...but the fact that this even runs on old PowerPC architecture is pretty nice.

Of course, there are some shortcomings: it's not HD, obviously. You can ask VideoGlide to record the videos at higher resolution than 640x480 if you want, but it's just going to be stretched. The recorded videos show visible signs of deinterlacing--especially during fast action scenes--but I'd expect that from an inexpensive device of this sort. And, also falling into the "well, it's not magical" department: the Exporter can take a long time to encode videos. As an example: on my 2010 Mac Mini, encoding a half-hour 640x480 video--going from uncompressed, to H.264 MP4 with a total bitrate of about 1.25Mb per second--took around another half-hour. Of course, this time will vary; if your finished product is lower-res and lower bitrate, it will be much quicker. On old hardware? Set it up before you go to sleep! Again, if you've ever worked with video, you probably already knew this.

I did have one other problem that prevented me from giving this five stars: I noticed that it gets really hot when in use, and after about five straight hours, the video feed got all choppy and the sound scrambled like an egg. Basically, it was unusable, even after disconnecting and reconnecting it. After allowing it to cool off for a few days, I was able to record a half-hour video without any issues...but it would appear that this is designed to be used for short periods of time, like a couple of hours, rather than for days straight.

Overall, I would say that if you're in the market for a device like this, it's definitely worth the asking price.