Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning kidsevergreen kidsevergreen kidsevergreen  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,590 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,873 reviews
on February 15, 2016
Let me first say that I tried 'em all before this one: TOTMC, EZCAP, even the Elgato with limited (if any) results. The TOTMC was the best of those three, which actually would capture video and audio but the problem was the audio broke up a lot in the final MPEG2 using the given software (ShowBiz). Upon this, I decided it was the capture's fault and bought an EZCap (again supplied with ShowBiz). This one did the exact same thing, with even worse results. Then decided "oh, I'm not spending enough!" and sprung for the Elgato. Well, those drivers wouldn't even install on my system (Win7Pro, x64), so that was a true waste. After reading a ton of reviews, and even two pages stating 'it's YOUR fault frames are dropping and sound is cutting out, here's what YOU can do, it's NOT your capture device!' -- tried all of that and decided to try a new program (PowerDirector) with the TOTMC capture device. I got the best transfer with that program/device combo -- but now the problem was the audio was falling out of sync about 4 minutes into the captured MPEG2. Tried with an update of ShowBiz 5. Same deal.

Read more reviews. More experience accounts.

I noticed that this little thing which was modestly priced was getting rave reviews pretty much across the board -- so as a last resort, before delving into a $200 capture "box" -- I decided, why not give this DIAMOND a go? The worst that can happen is I return it.

Didn't happen. Doesn't have to happen.

This thing captured the audio and video of my VHS tapes PERFECTLY with all the programs I used (though if you can shell out, I do recommend PowerDirector for its many features). Hands down. No issues. As simple as all the others promised.

HINT: I took a cue from the reviews and downloaded the drivers from Diamond myself before actually plugging it in (and not letting Windows Update find them first -- besides "USB Composite Device" driver, which I think WU does find, though it could just as well have been in the install package on Diamond's website) DO NOT install the drivers from the software included in the box when you buy this. They are old and outdated.

For those who are curious, I bought this to make DVD-resolution transfers of my VHS tapes that were either self-made, or things that are not on DVD yet. While this product (nor any video capture device) doesn't FIX your VHS tapes that do have damage, at least you get EXACTLY what you see and hear on the capture screen as it imports.

Fantastic device.
0Comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2011
My system: Toshiba L505 laptop with AMD dual core processor & Win 7
My person: Middle-aged guy who has been swapping out guts of computers and dealing with software issues for 2 decades.

I had been waiting for a gadget like this for a long time. A few years ago, you would have had to buy a box to do this job, so I was pleased to see an inexpensive way to get this done. I really read the reviews thoroughly before buying this item, so I wanted to address some of the issues that worried me when I read them.

First, if you used a tape that cost you $2.98 for 17 of them, don't be foolish enough to think that turning the video digital is going to perform magic tricks. My old camcorder tapes were expensive master tapes, used with a high-end [for the time] Panasonic PV330 camcorder. When I captured video from tapes of lesser quality, it was immediately evident.

I read people saying that they experienced out-of-sync conditions. With my Win 7 system, I saw no such thing. Then there are installation and documentation issues. The documentation is quite lacking, especially when you consider the problems that some users mentioned. Primary among these was - the first time I installed the software, I had already plugged in the device. When you do this, Windows automatically searches for a driver - and will find one! When you start the software installation, the first step is to load a driver from the disk. Don't do it! If windows has already loaded a driver, SKIP this step, otherwise it will really mess you up! After I had to go back and restore my computer back to an earlier date, I let the win driver load, loaded up the CD and skipped the driver on it and everything was fine. Also, there will be a green bar across the bottom of the screen in the software where you view the captured video - so like one reviewer already said, just close the software, start it up again, and everything is fine. That's where the documentation comes in - they have no business not addressing these issues in their manual. Granted, there isn't much to this product, but issues like these need to be addressed so the user knows that she/he is not doing something wrong. With the driver, I think we have gotten so use to the installation taking care of conflict issues that we don't even think about this stuff any more.

As far as the software is concerned, it is pretty rudimentary stuff. I always capture in the MPEG (DVD) format on to an external drive, 'cause the files are big. For editing, the Ulead stuff isn't worth too much - in fact I've had it stop working all together a few times, so I don't use it. Actually, Win 7 has enough built in do do most of the flat-out basic editing and burning. Just capture the video, close down the One Touch (the file will already be saved in whatever folder), and use whatever editing software you want. Also - if you are using software that lets you capture, I don't think you have to use the button on the VC500.

Sorry about all the blabber, but there are problems with this gadget, but they can be worked around. It's a shame that there is any guessing involved. And for me, it's worth the 30 odd bucks to capture 20 year old videos of the kids on a DVD.
1818 comments| 580 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2013
I am not a computer expert by any stretch, but as my budget has shrunk I have had to rely on my IT guy less and less and myself more and more. So, I have to figure things out if I am going to do anything with the computer. I bought this device primarily to transfer old VHS tapes to computer so that I can preserve and edit them. It works, but there are some things I had to figure out which you may find helpful. Again, this install was on a Win 7 64 bit system.

After reading several reviews, I decided to ignore the instructions initially (and the instructions are VERY basic). First, I plugged the One Touch Video Capture device into a USB port. The device software, except for drivers, self-installed. The drivers could not be found on the web (there are a number of posts here and online about the newest drivers not being on the company website--I never went there as I figured if Windows couldn't find them I likely could not either). I then resorted to included software. It has a drivers selection, and the correct drivers were on the install disk--driver issue solved.

I first tried setting device output to AVI, but that caused video and audio tracks to be way out of sync. I reviewed some online posts, and trying to alter this problem in the file is obviously WAY beyond my pay grade.
I next tried DVD setting for output, which worked fine. On this setting the file will import to computer in .MPG format. NOTE, however, that DVD setting apparently causes the incoming video stream to "scramble" on the Grabber's preview screen whle recording function is in use. This did not happen when Grabber was set to AVI output. The audio is fine in preview, however, so I just used that to monitor when my recording was done. The audio and video in file output to computer was fine.

Once installed, the Grabber Device shows up in

Control Panel>Devices & Printers>OTG102 (if there is a driver issue after install, as noted above, there will be a yellow "yield" sign in the corner of the device image)

and in

Device Manager>Sound Video and Game Controllers>USB 2.0 Capture (both an audio and video)

The Grabber sends output video to:

C>Program Files(x86)>One Touch Video Capture>My Videos

These files can then be imported into an editing program. I did not install the Diamond editing program. Windows offers Movie Maker (MM) for free, but you have to download it now as part of Live Essentials suite (at least in Win 7). I had never used MM before, so I dove in.

Tried to download MM 2012 first. Unfortunately, I downloaded all Live Essentials programs with it, and, of course, MM was the only thing that did not download. Finally figured out that the problem apparently was that my video card would not support the version of Direct X needed for MM 12 (one of those compatibility surprises you get when you don't know any more about computers than I do). So, I uninstalled Live Essentials 2012, some of which had to be done manually (see Microsoft site if you too make this mistake). I later found info on Microsoft site which suggests that there are non-supported video cards in Win 7 machines (ie they don't support the necessary version of Direct X).

Next, I installed Windows Live Movie Maker 2011. I found it on cnet's download site. Again, unless you really want all that Live Essentials "stuff", just download MM. MM 2011 solved compatibility issue, so now I was pulling up and beginning editing of files. The real fun begins!

I quickly realized I needed to work on some recording issues on my tapes. That requires effects. And, MM doesn't have them. There are effects available to run as plug-ins with MM, but, you saw this coming I bet, they don't work with MM 2011! Rather, they work with a prior version--MM 6.0. But, not to worry, you can load and use both MM 2011 and 6.0 on your machine at the same time. And, with no more than I know, there is at least one thing I seem to be able to accomplish easier in MM 2011 before I head over to 6.0 to work on the project. MM 6.0 has a timeline function which seems to be better for editing, particularly with effects.

So, effects. Got some from Pixelan that I thought were free, but they were just demos/samples which put an X over video when effect was used, unless you buy that pack of effects. Their effects appear to be quite useful though, so I may upgrade and buy the packs. Also, Blaine's Movie Maker Blog offers some good free effects for download, and that may cover most people's needs (contrast control being a good example).

Finally, a word on files. Either MM 6 or 2011 will open the imported .MPG file. But, if you open and modify a file in MM 2011, then MM 6 will not open that modified file until you first save the file to computer and it becomes a .WMV file. You need to open the project file in Windows Live Movie Maker 2011 and then tell it to create your movie (see below info re "baking a cake"). When you start working on a "project" in MM, a .wlmp file is created as the project file. This IS NOT a video. Your project (.wlmp) file is like a recipe for a cake. The file has the "instructions" for making a cake, but isn't a final cake. In order to have your final cake, you need to use the recipe (project) and the ingredients (video/photos/music on your computer) and have it baked into a cake (final movie). DISCLOSURE: I got this "cake" analogy from a website--I am not that clever.

That is about the extent of what I have learned in one weekend of fiddling with this. The device works to transfer video. What you do with it after that is up to you. Can't speak to its included editing software.

Update--This wasn't really a review on Movie Maker software, but I felt I should report further on that given my statements above. Movie Maker has driven me insane. Within just a couple of days of starting to use it, the software started refusing to open my project files (actually it claims they are "in use" once you have tried to open them). After much searching on various blogs, forums, etc it became pretty clear that many people were experiencing this basic problem, although the exact error message might be different. Microsoft's apparent answer (now) is to tell you to upgrade to Windows Live Movie Maker 2012. Before that, they offered to fix files which had become "corrupted" on your system (odd how many people were having file corruption issues). While WLMM 2012 may well be a perfectly wonderful program, I can't use it (as noted above). I tried MM 2.6, MM 6.0 and WLMM 2011 and they all produce the same sorry result when it comes to project files. Do not take my suggestions above as a current recommendation of MS editor software. The worst thing is it may actually work for you, for a time--just long enough to get a project started before you can no longer access the all important project file. Think hard before you try MM, and look at the Microsoft forums re the issue I am addressing. And, the Diamond Grabber is still doing its job just fine. I have converted about 15 VHS tapes so far with no real issue which was not related to an individual tape.

Update 2--A techie friend came over to look at my issue with movie maker. The first thing he noticed was the tremendous amount of system resources being consumed by Internet Explorer. He explained that all the browser bar add-ins that seem to creep into IE whether you want them or not consume system resources regardless whether they are in use. With nothing other than IE running in the background, my system was being overwhelmed. That explains why my system in general, and IE in particular, have been running slow as of late. His first recommendation--switch to Chrome as my new browser. That helped immensely, and obviously you are not going to get an answer from any MS supported forum saying IE is the problem in using MM on your system. So, my system and, in particular, internet browsing is now improved. But, I still was having intermittent issues with MM, so I searched further.

What I found, on Wiki of all places, was a comment that DVD Maker is not assigned a particularly high place in the processing tree (and this appears to apply as well to MM). Specifically,

Windows DVD Maker is designed to encode video as a Below Normal priority background process to ensure the computer remains responsive during the burn process. By design this feature puts the program at the back of the line among user mode applications. This can be circumvented by using Windows Task Manager to adjust the priority.

That doesn't make much sense, as processing video files takes a huge amount of computing "horsepower". My machine is fairly new, but it is not top of the line by any stretch. So, it needs all the help it can get. To remedy this issue, start Task Manager and go to Processes tab. With MM running,find its .exe file on the list (it should be near the top). Right click on it and then go to Set Priority and change to High. The same should be done for DVD Maker when you get ready to burn a disk. And, unless you are certain your personal computer can handle it, DON'T do anything else on your computer(or even have another program running in background--Chrome still caused me some problems if it was open) while video editing or burning a disc. These steps should help you, assuming you have a computer which otherwise is capable of video editing.

Hope this helps someone avoid the headaches I had with MM (and I am sure would have had with a purchased replacement program--most of those have similar complaints) until I figured out how to force the computer to give priority to this task.
on January 31, 2016
I'm upgrading my review from 2 to 5 stars. It worked great on Windows XP but could not get it to work at all with Windows 7. I found out after a lot of trial and error that Windows 7 has a device installed that conflicts with the Diamond VC500 drivers. What you need to do is go in to device manager and look for 'Microsoft Ehome Infrared Receiver' under USB devices. Uninstall the driver (unless you use it). I dont even know what it is to be honest. Now install the drivers for VC500 and follow the directions. Install the software. I had to restart and make sure the Ehome device did not try to reinstall the drivers automatically, because windows will try. Start up, plug your camera or game system to the Diamond device then the USB cable to the computer. It should install drivers under the name the name OTG102. Open EZ grabber and the screen should display whatever you have running. If not, click the options icon (The cog) and make sure inputs are correct. EZ grabber barely worked for me so I installed ArcSoft Showbiz which has a lot more functionality.

If you need more info on how to use the device I can put together something a little more detailed and coherent.
on December 21, 2014
Great product. It does exactly what I purchased it for.I’m glad I wasn't swayed by the negative reviews. I will agree that the “directions” are dismal ie nonexistent… but with a little google searching, I was able to figure it out. For reference, I used the system with my PC laptop and my cable DVR box to record a few clips from when my husband was interviewed by a local news station. I then transferred my files to a USB memory stick.

My biggest issue with most directions and detailed reviews is all the tech talk. I start to glaze over into la-la land with talk of Gbs and operating systems. Here’s my attempt at non-tech directions:

1. Install the EZGrabber software from the included disc. I followed the on-screen directions and it was very straightforward. I did install all 3 included programs, but have only used the EZGrabber. I will use my Windows Movie Maker to clip out the commercials.

2. Create a new folder – DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP - I created it in my C: drive . I did not do this originally and it caused a bit of an issue. The default folder is C:/Program Files (x86)/EZ Grabber/My Videos . I could not find this folder following the chain of locations. According to other forums, it is a “Virtual” folder and was not visible in my computer searches. With some trial and error, I figured out how to access the video clips and will detail those steps at the end of this review.

3. Connect the Red, Yellow, and White connectors (RCA I think) to the device that has your recordings. Then connect the other end to the Diamond VC500.

4. Turn on your playback system and have it ready to play what you want to record.

5. Connect the USB of the Diamond VC500 to your computer.

6. Open the EZGrabber on your computer – you must do this AFTER you have connected the Diamond VC500 to your computer. Open the settings (Yellow gear on upper right corner of control panel).

Video tab; Video Format: NTSC_M (No idea what this is, but it worked)
Video Source: Composite
Capture Button tab; Capture video

Snapshot tab; I didn’t change anything here

Record tab; Format – DVD (according to some decent youtube videos, AVI is the highest quality but is also creates the largest file. DVD quality was fine for my needs)
Save Folder: Browse and find the folder you created

7. When you’re ready to record, press the round record button on your Diamond VC500. When you’re finished, press the stop button on the EZGrabber controller on your computer (red square, bottom right corner).

8. Now you can move or edit your recordings as needed.

9. If you didn’t create a new folder and can’t find your C:/Program Files (x86)/EZ Grabber/My Videos:

Click on the file folder on the EZGrabber controller – button on far left. From the “Look In” box, follow the folders C: , then Program Files (x86), then EZ Grabber. Once in EZ Grabber, you will see 3 folders, two have a small padlock in front of it, including the My Videos. Right click on this folder. Mid way down the list you’ll see the option “Include in Library.” I selected “Videos” and then I was able to find my recorded clips in my Video folder. Hope this helps!
review image
on March 8, 2013
I've bought 2 of these Diamond VC500s on Amazon. There are other "one touch" video capture devices available on Amazon from ~$10 up to over $80. There are effectively all the same except for bundled software and support. I bought the VC500 because of Diamond has been a long standing video device producer and I expect better support than from the no-name Chinese importers.

It's a mixed bag. This is still one of those no-name Chinese imports but with the 'Diamond' name printed on it. Windows first sees it as a "OTG102" before the supplied drivers are loaded. Afterwards, it's a "USB2.0 Video Capture Device" and the driver manufacturer is simply "China." But the Diamond web site does have support information, downloadable drivers, and even some downloadable walk-through information on trouble shooting and Windows 8 installation.

If you want someone to hold your hand and teach you to how to edit videos, this is not the device for you. If you want a very simple device just to capture composite video and you know what to do with .wmv files this device is ok. One really doesn't need the included Arcsoft ShowBiz video editing program; Windows Movie Maker and Windows DVD Maker will work fine with the 'EzGrabber' captured video from this device. The Arcsoft "ShowBiz" is a step up from WMM, but don't expect a manual from Diamond on how to use it!

The install program worked flawlessly on the 32-bit Windows XP and 64-bit Windows 7 computers I tried this on. There are three major install steps: the Driver (installs analog video and audio capture devices), EzGrabber (the capture to file program), and ShowBiz (the video editor, may also capture video but refuses to copy anything copyrighted.) ExGrabber has 8 different settings (DVD, AVI, VCD, etc.) which are inadequately described in the manual. See the user screen shot above of the options - that's all the info on the settings you get! There is no option to capture 640x480 video and nothing higher than 30 frames/second. The 'AVI' setting (720x480, 30fps) is the highest quality, but at over 50 GB/hour you'll need lots of disc space. A fast computer helps a lot here; my Core 2 duo @ 2.2GHz / 4G RAM was *not* fast enough for the MP4 setting; that setting had lots of dropped frames and stuttering video.

The good news: on those machines it worked on, it worked perfectly capturing VHS video at the same visual quality as the original. Note VHS isn't the highest quality to start with - once one get used to HD video, or even DVD, all VHS looks pretty bad. <grin>

The bad news: on two (UPDATE: three) computers I've tried the audio goes occasionally completely to noise. This happened in both XP and Windows 7, with different cables, with different USB jacks, and different VHS tapes. On these computers the device is unusable. UPDATE: I tried a different VCR and still got the occasional noise. Must be either the environment, the copy-protection on the tape (possibly, but I have no trouble with the same tape at home), or the device itself. And confirmed that the included ShowBiz video editing software will not record copy-protected VHS tapes, and neither will Cyberlink's PowerProducer or PowerDirector. I have still a couple more tests to try and will update this after they are done.

UPDATE2: After yet more testing: The problem with static/noise on the audio capture is *not* a copy protection problem. It *is* computer specific, not device specific. The 3 computers I've had problems with were all HP model 6000 series, though different specific models. On the Dells and Acers it seems to work fine. Occasionally one of the 'bad' HPs will work perfectly, but after a reboot - noise! With experience, I've noticed that every time the audio will go bad, there are horizontal green flashing lines (interference) in the video, even if just monitored and not recorded. For all that, my bottom line has not changed.

Bottom line: for under $40 it's great when it works, 5 stars. For those computers/videos sources it doesn't work on, 1 star. And to answer the obvious question, I {still!} don't know why the audio noise using EzGrabber on some of my computers. I'm a computer technician and I get paid to know these things.
55 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2017
Not sure how to rate it... The VC500 does what they say it will do,.. sort of. I haven't figured out how to use the "REC" button on the unit, but it is easy enough to click on the "record" button in the software. the VC500 is easy to hook up and the cords are long enough to make it easy to place everything out of the way on your work space. The included instructions are minimal and don't match all of the programs that are on the CD, but take you through installation of the drivers and Cyberlink software.. I found Cyberlink to be an easy to use program, but the included version is not a full version and only produces 740 x 480 videos. This isn't a real problem if you (like I) are just going to use it to convert your old tapes to digital as that is what most of the old camcorders recorded, but if you are thinking of also using the program to produce higher grade videos from files off of your smart phone etc, you will have to spend the extra $50 for the software upgrade. Other issues I had with Cyberlink is that it converts/records in real time and didn't like "glitches" on the tape and treated them as a break so would stop recording. I had planned on setting everything up and just letting it run, but instead I had to watch the process so I could restart it when it stopped. This also broke the tape up into multiple files. My first tape (2hours) had 6 such glitches. so I was stuck in front of the computer for about 3 hours... and I have 9 more tapes to do.
on March 4, 2017
follow the instruction exactly and in order but it was easy enough to set up. i could get it to record for me and messed around for a couple of hours then called the Diamond Tech people. It tured out the VC500 was recording but my movie maker was not playing correctly. So I got it all recording and playing but two glitches in the unit. Sometimes when i restart for another record the screen will go black and the audio is still hearable. It is recording ok but to get the screen back on I have to stop and reset everything and start over. Another issue is that I can't get the unit to record over about 10 minutes. I have left it to record a 30 minute VHS-c tape and it will just cut off the first 20 minutes and leave only the last 10 minutes. Thats annoying to have to go back and record the first part of the tape again. Picture quality off my older VHS-c tapes is grainy on the saved DVD file but I assume that is because of the old tapes and not the VC500 or or EZGrabber software.
on February 4, 2012
I looked and looked at all kinds of video recorders and all the reviews. All I wanted to do was to transfer my home VHS tapes over to DVDs. Diamond VC500 was rated number one on a review site that also had reviewed 10 others. They hit the nail on the head, IT WORKS GREAT. Inexpensive and easy to use. I used mine on windows Vista using a Panasonic 4 head VCR. I have never done reviews before but thought there has to be others out there like me. Someone wanting a recent review and give an honest one.
Right now I am finishing my last DVD from my home tapes. I bought the VC500 back in December 2010 and now 66 DVD's later no problems.
I am going to take the time to tell you what I did and how I set it up for slick operation.
My set up is with my desk top Vista Hp and off to the side my VCR. Connecting the VCR from the OUTPUT RCA jacks through the VC 500 and to the USB port on the Desk top computer. I first set up a DVD folder on my hard drive and in it was other folders labled DVD#1, another DVD#2, etc. I used about 200 gbs of hard drive to hold about 18 DVD's. The directions that come with VC500 are crummy but are on the disc along with Arc Soft editing software that I thought was ok. Install the software disc that comes with the VC500. Leave a shortcut on the desk top for the "EZ Grabber" and the "Arc Soft Show Biz". Starting your first DVD (IN THIS ORDER), make sure the VCR and computer is on and ready to go. VC500 all hooked up and plugged in on both ends. There should be a blue light on at the VC500 if everything is hooked up right. Click on your EZ Grabber software. Most of the buttons that are seen on the monitor will not be used. The one I use the most was located at the top right, looks like a gear for setup. Click on the gear setup button. If everything is hooked up correctly a window will pop up for settings. Under Video Tab set NTSC_M and Video Source at Composite (for your RCA jacks). All the pointers on that page should be set at default (in the middle). Capture Button tab set at Capture Video. Snapshot Tab at JPG (doesn't matter burning movies). Record Tab set at DVD. Click Browse in Save Folder and locate the folder that was set up on the hard drive earlier. Click OK. If you aren't able to see these settings in grabber - you probably didn't follow the steps in ORDER. Start the VCR and watch your monitor. When you see the VCR movie starting - press the REC button on the front of the VC500. At that time, the red light beside the blue light thats on the VC500 will come on indicating that the VC500 is recording. Looking at the Grabber on the monitor will show the time elapsing and you can view the VCR tape being played.
My computer came with "Windows DVD Maker" (maker). Works great.
IMPORTANT- IMPORTANT Using maker will show how much can be put on a disc. Don't try to figure it out. Throw timing and GBs out the window. Download several VCR tapes to your file. Now open up DVD maker and drag and drop each tape into maker. Make note in maker at the bottom left the time indicator. Drag till its full and maker will indicate how many minutes over you are. Make note how many minutes that is needed to be edited off your tapes. Arc Soft Show Biz allows for the editing. I cleaned up the ends of my first tape in Show biz and the last tape I would edit the amount of minutes off the last tape so it would meet DVD makers time limit. Show Biz let you add fade ins-outs. This should get you going and I hope it helps
on January 8, 2016
I am using this on Ubuntu 14.04 like others that have posted here and it has been rock solid. For some reason VLC will not capture long enough (kept cutting off around 13-18 minutes) so I found the advice of the other guys here that are capturing the video and audio separately and splicing them back together. I figured there had to be a better way. I am now capturing everything together and adding metadata at the same time. Below is the single (long) command to accomplish it. Notice: I am capturing from a mono device with the intention of matching what would normally come out of Handbrake to be placed and viewed from a media server to devices that require AAC audio so modify this long line to suite your needs.

avconv -f video4linux2 -i /dev/video0 \
-f alsa -i plughw:Cx231xxAudio,0 -strict experimental -acodec aac -ac 1 -ar 48000 -ab 160k \
-metadata title="Title Movie" -f mp4 -vcodec libx264 -crf 27 -filter:v yadif -y capture.mp4

you can find out what your audio device is by running arecord -l (instead of the hw:1,0 everyone was using with sox). mine was Cx231xxAudio,0

card 1: Cx231xxAudio [Cx231xx Audio], device 0: Cx231xx Audio [Conexant cx231xx Capture]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Hope this helps someone. Took me a lot of poking around to get it all together.