Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on February 15, 2016
Let me first say that I tried 'em all before this one: TOTMC, EZCAP, even the Elgato with limited (if any) results. The TOTMC was the best of those three, which actually would capture video and audio but the problem was the audio broke up a lot in the final MPEG2 using the given software (ShowBiz). Upon this, I decided it was the capture's fault and bought an EZCap (again supplied with ShowBiz). This one did the exact same thing, with even worse results. Then decided "oh, I'm not spending enough!" and sprung for the Elgato. Well, those drivers wouldn't even install on my system (Win7Pro, x64), so that was a true waste. After reading a ton of reviews, and even two pages stating 'it's YOUR fault frames are dropping and sound is cutting out, here's what YOU can do, it's NOT your capture device!' -- tried all of that and decided to try a new program (PowerDirector) with the TOTMC capture device. I got the best transfer with that program/device combo -- but now the problem was the audio was falling out of sync about 4 minutes into the captured MPEG2. Tried with an update of ShowBiz 5. Same deal.

Read more reviews. More experience accounts.

I noticed that this little thing which was modestly priced was getting rave reviews pretty much across the board -- so as a last resort, before delving into a $200 capture "box" -- I decided, why not give this DIAMOND a go? The worst that can happen is I return it.

Didn't happen. Doesn't have to happen.

This thing captured the audio and video of my VHS tapes PERFECTLY with all the programs I used (though if you can shell out, I do recommend PowerDirector for its many features). Hands down. No issues. As simple as all the others promised.

HINT: I took a cue from the reviews and downloaded the drivers from Diamond myself before actually plugging it in (and not letting Windows Update find them first -- besides "USB Composite Device" driver, which I think WU does find, though it could just as well have been in the install package on Diamond's website) DO NOT install the drivers from the software included in the box when you buy this. They are old and outdated.

For those who are curious, I bought this to make DVD-resolution transfers of my VHS tapes that were either self-made, or things that are not on DVD yet. While this product (nor any video capture device) doesn't FIX your VHS tapes that do have damage, at least you get EXACTLY what you see and hear on the capture screen as it imports.

Fantastic device.
11 comment| 165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 28, 2011
My system: Toshiba L505 laptop with AMD dual core processor & Win 7
My person: Middle-aged guy who has been swapping out guts of computers and dealing with software issues for 2 decades.

I had been waiting for a gadget like this for a long time. A few years ago, you would have had to buy a box to do this job, so I was pleased to see an inexpensive way to get this done. I really read the reviews thoroughly before buying this item, so I wanted to address some of the issues that worried me when I read them.

First, if you used a tape that cost you $2.98 for 17 of them, don't be foolish enough to think that turning the video digital is going to perform magic tricks. My old camcorder tapes were expensive master tapes, used with a high-end [for the time] Panasonic PV330 camcorder. When I captured video from tapes of lesser quality, it was immediately evident.

I read people saying that they experienced out-of-sync conditions. With my Win 7 system, I saw no such thing. Then there are installation and documentation issues. The documentation is quite lacking, especially when you consider the problems that some users mentioned. Primary among these was - the first time I installed the software, I had already plugged in the device. When you do this, Windows automatically searches for a driver - and will find one! When you start the software installation, the first step is to load a driver from the disk. Don't do it! If windows has already loaded a driver, SKIP this step, otherwise it will really mess you up! After I had to go back and restore my computer back to an earlier date, I let the win driver load, loaded up the CD and skipped the driver on it and everything was fine. Also, there will be a green bar across the bottom of the screen in the software where you view the captured video - so like one reviewer already said, just close the software, start it up again, and everything is fine. That's where the documentation comes in - they have no business not addressing these issues in their manual. Granted, there isn't much to this product, but issues like these need to be addressed so the user knows that she/he is not doing something wrong. With the driver, I think we have gotten so use to the installation taking care of conflict issues that we don't even think about this stuff any more.

As far as the software is concerned, it is pretty rudimentary stuff. I always capture in the MPEG (DVD) format on to an external drive, 'cause the files are big. For editing, the Ulead stuff isn't worth too much - in fact I've had it stop working all together a few times, so I don't use it. Actually, Win 7 has enough built in do do most of the flat-out basic editing and burning. Just capture the video, close down the One Touch (the file will already be saved in whatever folder), and use whatever editing software you want. Also - if you are using software that lets you capture, I don't think you have to use the button on the VC500.

Sorry about all the blabber, but there are problems with this gadget, but they can be worked around. It's a shame that there is any guessing involved. And for me, it's worth the 30 odd bucks to capture 20 year old videos of the kids on a DVD.
1919 comments| 604 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 24, 2017
I had issues when I first received this item, so I uninstalled the software and put it aside. I got working with it again, starting from the beginning, and was able to capture my Hi8 movies. Now, the only problem is, the mpeg it's saved in only has the audio when played back. So, back to the drawing board. I'm determined to figure this out!
on January 10, 2015
I have some technical training in digital equipment (A/V) and have not been able to get this product to work correctly on my own. In addition tech support is only available Monday through Friday.

I installed everything exactly as the instructions said in the manual. I am running the software drivers and EZ Grabber and Video Editing software as they say. My camcorder, Super 8 mm has an S video port and also a port for red and white connections only. (No yellow for video). The adapter cable that comes with this product has a female end on it. My camcorder has a female port (as every one I've ever seen has). So there's no way to connect it to my camcorder unless I go buy a male/male connector.

So this product is only able to capture audio files from my camera, unless I'm doing something wrong that I cannot figure out. Unfortunately tech support is not open during the day on Saturdays. I've just spent about 45 minutes trying to get this running. So I'm not a happy customer.

I also noticed that when it started capturing a file I was playing it did not prompt me for a location to save it or a name to give it. I also found some of the virtual buttons on the screen were not responding when I clicked on them during record. Specifically the stop recording button didn't work. So I have several issues with tech support if I can reach them (I work M-F). :(
on June 12, 2017
I read that this item could be used to turn your video camera into a webcam. Definitely didn't work with my Canon Vixia HF R700. I got lines on my computer screen like a bad TV signal - no video at all and there was an occasional echoey word in the audio. I contacted Diamond to see if some troubleshooting could fix it. I got an auto email saying a trouble ticket was opened but that's it, and now I see I'm 2 days past the return window so I'm stuck with this piece of junk. I know they don't advertise the webcam thing, but you'd think the company could respond in a couple weeks time.
on September 6, 2017
While copying my old home movies from VCR to digital format the program frequently stops recording with the message "copyrighted material is not authorized to record". Although these old home movies are not copyrighted, the program did not record the entire movie.
on March 13, 2015
you know, I was skeptical about this thing after having a horrible experience with a competitor product many years ago, but boy was I wrong. This thing does a great job of the interface and transmission of video itself. Had a few problems with sound losing sync with lips/video at first, but after doing some research, it seems the "graber" software it comes with is not that great. I switched my capture software from the one it comes with to using virtual dub (google it its free and there are youtube guides on how to work it). VDub captured the video flawlessly into a nice large uncompressed AVI. Then just used a video converter program for avi to.mp4 (many out there some are free) and encoded it into a high quality .mp4 file and boom I had a medium size (2-4 Gb) mp4 file that is almost universally playable in the digital age. Loaded all my home videos this way and gave the family a USB stick/drive with every movie (only needed like 32 Gb flash drive) and it was probably the most special yet amazing 20 dollar christmas gift of all time!
on January 6, 2016
So I got this to convert my original VHS copies of the Star Wars trilogy (no Lucas fiddling) and was kinda ticked when the provided software wouldn't let me copy them. What upset me the most about it was it clearly states the ability to back up all VHS tapes. And add insult to this ArcSoft is has designated ShowBiz as End OF Life now and thus no longer supporting it so you cannot expect any updates or any assistance from them should you encounter any issues with this software. I ultimately had to find a third party capture program to complete the job. The hardware installation is flaky with Windows 10 X64 but ultimately did install correctly. I also encountered some glitchiness with the hardware at first but that could be because the driver not fully supported in W10 and using a third party program, but once I got it dialed in the VC500 was able to do the job. If you're considering this capture program to encode your old retail videos, keep in mind that you will likely have to hunt for software that will allow you to do that.
on May 16, 2017
It works, it does what it's designed to do. It works with other video applications which is nice. I would've gave a better rating if it didn't have a problem with audio going to screeching loud static randomly. Doesn't matter how I have the audio hooked up with different speakers, doesn't matter what application I use or what VHS tape I'm using. This device just periodically goes to super loud static every now and then. Otherwise not too bad.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 12, 2018
I don't know about the product, but I certainly HATE the customer support (or total lack thereof). I opened a support ticket 13 days ago. Their support site says "Please allow 24 to 48 hours to view and process submitted tickets." -- we're well beyond 48 hours! I cut them some slack because of the holiday season. I could have tolerated four or five days (more than double their requested time), but this is ridiculous.

The bundled software, CyberLink PowerDirector, simply refuses to work on Windows 10. I launch it and it dies immediately. I've submitted the crash dump for analysis (sweet lot of good that did!)

If anyone from Diamond happens to see this, my support ticket number is 94202900. Here's the email confirmation:

We received your request and assigned ticket #94202900

Topic: Technical Support
Subject: PowerDirector doesn't work
Submitted: 12/31/2017 10:50 AM

A representative will follow-up with you as soon as possible. You can view this ticket's progress online.

Your Diamond Multimedia Team