Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning themissing themissing themissing  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 2,456 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,729 reviews
on May 21, 2008
Luckily, I didn't listen to the other reviewers here and actually checked the reviews on Newegg. Glad I did, this product is awesome! The quality is great (however, you must change the the output settings to something other than default of VCD [read the manual on how to do so]). It doesn't have Vista support (but being a gamer, I am staying on Windows XP).

The VC500 is great for recording gameplay on videogame consoles.

It's best if you do install the Software that comes with it. Movie Maker has a hard time capturing from this device, but the software that comes with this works a lot better.

If you are trying to decide whether to buy the Pinnacle Dazzle or this, I would suggest you buy this because:

1. It's cheaper
2. The quality is the same, if not better than the Dazzle
3. The Live Preview allows you to play console games in full screen
4. The software is high quality
5. Comes with a RCA Audio/Video Cable (which is one less purchase to make)
1313 comments| 414 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2008
I have a 15 yr old analog camcorder, and wanted to transfer the original tapes to my computer. I'm an old (mid 80s) guy. not really skilled with computers. But, I had no trouble installing the Diamond capture device. Connected it to the camcorder, plugged it into the USB port, started playing back the video, pushed the button on the capture device, and without further ado a 2 hour, analog video was in my computer as a *.avi file. All I could ask for. I heartily recommend it.
0Comment| 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 17, 2009
I bought this after doing a bit of research. I had already been burned once with a cheap no-name capture card and didn't want to make the same mistake twice. After seeing the mostly positive reviews, I ordered this unit. I trusted the Diamond brand because they make the video cards inside several of my computers and I am happy to report that this device works perfectly.

It's exactly what I needed to transfer off all my old VHS tapes. Installation was easy and took just 5 minutes (Win XP). Using the device is really as easy as one touch. You do have to launch the video capture software first though. Once the video is playing in the VCR, just push the record button on the VC500 and it will start recording. A VERY bright blinking blue LED will indicate it's capturing. You'll also see the video on your monitor. The blinking can be an annoyance.

SOFTWARE:
---------

You can start the capture with the One Touch button, however, you can't stop by pushing it again. You have to do it through the One Touch Capture software by clicking a button. The box says you can, but it didn't work for me. The software is really basic and ugly. I'll go so far as to say it's utterly lousy. The REC and STOP buttons look almost the same and I can't remember which is which half the time. The software also doesn't offer a lot of choices in the settings.

You can choose from 8 formats: DVD, SVCD, VCD, AVI, MPEG-4, AVI, WMV, WMA, MP3. You can also adjust sliders for Hue, Saturation, Brightness, Contrast, and Sharpness, but that's it for controls. You can't change the frames per second, the capture resolution, cropping, video compression quality, or other settings. Each format has a locked-in set of configurations (see my gallery image for a table from the manual). For power users, this is a problem because you can't customize the output settings to economize on hard drive space.

My suggestion is to capture at the highest possible quality setting and then use another software to re-encode the video for your needs. My test captures yielded wildly varying file sizes, but I've determined that SVCD was best for VHS for both quality and file size. AVI looked bad and WMV was by far the worst, with large and ugly square blocks.

CONSTRUCTION:
------------

The device itself is of mediocre build quality. The plastic feels light and hollow and the wiring is thinner and flimsier than most other USB devices. The software and drivers even come on CD-R's that have been stickered over with an inkjet printed label.

SUMMARY:
--------

Overall, the device does its job of capturing, and if you're looking for an inexpensive and simple way to digitize your old movies, this is one of the better products out there. It worked right out of the box, was easy to install, and didn't crash my system. That may seem like a basic requirement for any computer product, but I cannot tell you how many times products have failed even to meet this basic level of quality.

This product works, and works well. Just a shame that the software is so terrible and there is no software update from Diamond. But I'm willing to grudgingly deal with it because I can now finally transfer off my old VHS's and clear out some old junk.
review image review image review image review image
22 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2007
I couldn't be happier with this. I'm not a professional video person, but someone who just wants to transfer VHS tapes onto disk. A professional might find some objections to this device, but it works and does exactly what I needed it to do. Plug it into the VCR, plug the other end into the USB port, start up the VCR - hit the record button and Bingo! My VHS movie is now a MPEG movie. No problems with the software or hardware. Well worth the price.
88 comments| 461 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2011
My system: Toshiba L505 laptop with AMD dual core processor & Win 7
My person: Middle-aged guy who has been swapping out guts of computers and dealing with software issues for 2 decades.

I had been waiting for a gadget like this for a long time. A few years ago, you would have had to buy a box to do this job, so I was pleased to see an inexpensive way to get this done. I really read the reviews thoroughly before buying this item, so I wanted to address some of the issues that worried me when I read them.

First, if you used a tape that cost you $2.98 for 17 of them, don't be foolish enough to think that turning the video digital is going to perform magic tricks. My old camcorder tapes were expensive master tapes, used with a high-end [for the time] Panasonic PV330 camcorder. When I captured video from tapes of lesser quality, it was immediately evident.

I read people saying that they experienced out-of-sync conditions. With my Win 7 system, I saw no such thing. Then there are installation and documentation issues. The documentation is quite lacking, especially when you consider the problems that some users mentioned. Primary among these was - the first time I installed the software, I had already plugged in the device. When you do this, Windows automatically searches for a driver - and will find one! When you start the software installation, the first step is to load a driver from the disk. Don't do it! If windows has already loaded a driver, SKIP this step, otherwise it will really mess you up! After I had to go back and restore my computer back to an earlier date, I let the win driver load, loaded up the CD and skipped the driver on it and everything was fine. Also, there will be a green bar across the bottom of the screen in the software where you view the captured video - so like one reviewer already said, just close the software, start it up again, and everything is fine. That's where the documentation comes in - they have no business not addressing these issues in their manual. Granted, there isn't much to this product, but issues like these need to be addressed so the user knows that she/he is not doing something wrong. With the driver, I think we have gotten so use to the installation taking care of conflict issues that we don't even think about this stuff any more.

As far as the software is concerned, it is pretty rudimentary stuff. I always capture in the MPEG (DVD) format on to an external drive, 'cause the files are big. For editing, the Ulead stuff isn't worth too much - in fact I've had it stop working all together a few times, so I don't use it. Actually, Win 7 has enough built in do do most of the flat-out basic editing and burning. Just capture the video, close down the One Touch (the file will already be saved in whatever folder), and use whatever editing software you want. Also - if you are using software that lets you capture, I don't think you have to use the button on the VC500.

Sorry about all the blabber, but there are problems with this gadget, but they can be worked around. It's a shame that there is any guessing involved. And for me, it's worth the 30 odd bucks to capture 20 year old videos of the kids on a DVD.
1919 comments| 546 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2016
Let me first say that I tried 'em all before this one: TOTMC, EZCAP, even the Elgato with limited (if any) results. The TOTMC was the best of those three, which actually would capture video and audio but the problem was the audio broke up a lot in the final MPEG2 using the given software (ShowBiz). Upon this, I decided it was the capture's fault and bought an EZCap (again supplied with ShowBiz). This one did the exact same thing, with even worse results. Then decided "oh, I'm not spending enough!" and sprung for the Elgato. Well, those drivers wouldn't even install on my system (Win7Pro, x64), so that was a true waste. After reading a ton of reviews, and even two pages stating 'it's YOUR fault frames are dropping and sound is cutting out, here's what YOU can do, it's NOT your capture device!' -- tried all of that and decided to try a new program (PowerDirector) with the TOTMC capture device. I got the best transfer with that program/device combo -- but now the problem was the audio was falling out of sync about 4 minutes into the captured MPEG2. Tried with an update of ShowBiz 5. Same deal.

Read more reviews. More experience accounts.

I noticed that this little thing which was modestly priced was getting rave reviews pretty much across the board -- so as a last resort, before delving into a $200 capture "box" -- I decided, why not give this DIAMOND a go? The worst that can happen is I return it.

Didn't happen. Doesn't have to happen.

This thing captured the audio and video of my VHS tapes PERFECTLY with all the programs I used (though if you can shell out, I do recommend PowerDirector for its many features). Hands down. No issues. As simple as all the others promised.

HINT: I took a cue from the reviews and downloaded the drivers from Diamond myself before actually plugging it in (and not letting Windows Update find them first -- besides "USB Composite Device" driver, which I think WU does find, though it could just as well have been in the install package on Diamond's website) DO NOT install the drivers from the software included in the box when you buy this. They are old and outdated.

For those who are curious, I bought this to make DVD-resolution transfers of my VHS tapes that were either self-made, or things that are not on DVD yet. While this product (nor any video capture device) doesn't FIX your VHS tapes that do have damage, at least you get EXACTLY what you see and hear on the capture screen as it imports.

Fantastic device.
on January 6, 2017
I bought this to transfer a bunch of VHS recordings to DVD. The unit worked flawlessly. That said, files are large and a high-school football game took two discs to record. The installation is simple and the software is easy to use if you know your way around a computer. Don't try to install this on an older computer. While it did install on one of my old "Vista Home" PC's (I know... who runs that any more? Me!) it was impossible to use. A better OS and graphics setup was required. Everything ran beautifully on our Windows 10 laptop.

What it does: Allows you to capture video and audio and do some editing right on your PC. Tells you file sizes so you can easily determine if you need more than a single disc for your videos. Enables file splitting and audio track editing. I did not play with all the bells and whistles.

What it does NOT do: This software will not be able to fix video that comes from a source such as a VHS tape that has deteriorated from old age. You only get out the quality of video that you put in.
on July 19, 2012
I figured that the price was too good to be true, or that it would turn out to be a cheap piece of junk. I mean, the system requirements on the box were obviously written by someone who's never used a Mac in their lives (Pentium IV or higher?! Sound card?! Graphics card that supports DirectX?!). However, I can honestly say that this is a great product, and its ease of use perfectly matches the Mac experience.

The enclosed VideoGlide software consists of two programs: Capture and Exporter. Capture will record directly from composite or S-Video (with mono or stereo audio, of course) to QuickTime format using one of several compression options, or uncompressed (approximately 50 GB per half hour). You can then use Exporter, if desired, to take the recorded videos and re-encode them to practically any other video format QuickTime supports, such as MP4. (It may be worth mentioning: I don't know whether applications besides VideoGlide--iMovie or otherwise--can record directly from the device, so don't assume that this is possible. However, iMovie should be able to easily import VideoGlide videos, so that shouldn't be a big deal.)

Setup takes just a few minutes. I used the device and software on two different Macs: a mid-2010 Mac Mini powered by a Core 2 Duo and running OS X 10.6...and a late 2005 Mac Mini using a 1.5 GHz PowerPC G4, running OS X 10.4! I was amazed to find that even the G4 had the horsepower to record compressed S-Video in real time without any noticeable lag. Of course, on older machines with smaller hard drives, you'll have to keep a watchful eye on the amount of disk space you have left...but the fact that this even runs on old PowerPC architecture is pretty nice.

Of course, there are some shortcomings: it's not HD, obviously. You can ask VideoGlide to record the videos at higher resolution than 640x480 if you want, but it's just going to be stretched. The recorded videos show visible signs of deinterlacing--especially during fast action scenes--but I'd expect that from an inexpensive device of this sort. And, also falling into the "well, it's not magical" department: the Exporter can take a long time to encode videos. As an example: on my 2010 Mac Mini, encoding a half-hour 640x480 video--going from uncompressed, to H.264 MP4 with a total bitrate of about 1.25Mb per second--took around another half-hour. Of course, this time will vary; if your finished product is lower-res and lower bitrate, it will be much quicker. On old hardware? Set it up before you go to sleep! Again, if you've ever worked with video, you probably already knew this.

I did have one other problem that prevented me from giving this five stars: I noticed that it gets really hot when in use, and after about five straight hours, the video feed got all choppy and the sound scrambled like an egg. Basically, it was unusable, even after disconnecting and reconnecting it. After allowing it to cool off for a few days, I was able to record a half-hour video without any issues...but it would appear that this is designed to be used for short periods of time, like a couple of hours, rather than for days straight.

Overall, I would say that if you're in the market for a device like this, it's definitely worth the asking price.
on September 23, 2015
I brought this device because according to my research it would allow higher-quality conversions than say, Elgato Video Capture, although I must say that when set for mpeg4, the Elgato was pretty good (the H264 setting caused a pulsating blockiness, in and out every few seconds, say in tree leaves, for example). But getting back to the Diamond Video Capture, whether I downloaded the driver from the Diamond site or a newer version of the driver from Videoglide, and after numerous times installing and uninstalling and installing again, I could never get it to pick up the VCR signal. In fact it didn't register anything except FaceTime. I didn't use the disk to install the drivers, as it may be outdated and I shouldn't have to since the newer Macs don't have a disk player. When opening Videoglide after downloading and installing it, there was never a place to enter the serial number that was on the sleeve of the software disk included in the package, but the demo version of the latest version should have done something at any rate, which it didn't. I wasted many hours on this and it's going back.
on July 31, 2014
This was posted July 31, 2014.
The device and cable work, and if you just play a tape and watch it in the provided EZgrabber software on your PC, the video is clear. BUT, if you click the red record button on EZgrabber, it fails miserably when converting the video input to digital format. . Apparently a clean signal gets to the PC, but the EZgrabber software is overloaded and creates really bad videos and lousy or missing sound. So, the culprit is the software. I will come back here when I find a software that works. I am using a fairly high end Sony laptop with 4gb of RAM.

The Diamond marketing people should be taken out and shot for such abysmal documentation and EZgrabber software.

So, my experience is wasting time to learn how to configure the device and then find the conversion is unacceptable. You need a different Video capture software. I am trying "Virtual Dub" but it is freeware and also lacks instructions, so I will post if I find a way to make the hardware work.

Some tips:
- First play your VHS tape in a player connected to a TV to see the current quality. If it isn't good there, then it won't improve when converted to digital files.
- Then setup the device and cable and install the EZgrabber software. It will display a viewing screen for the video signal received by the PC and a separate graphic visual that looks like a TV clicker with software buttons. I wasted a lot of time by clicking the record onscreen button right away, so I only saw the resulting video garbage. I thought the original video was bad until I watched it on a tV connected to the VHS player. Then I watched the video image in the EZgrabber screen WITHOUT clicking the record button and saw the inbound signal was good. I had already created 5 REALLY bad converted API files before I figured this out.
- The instructions for configuring the device and EZgrabber are TERRIBLE or non-existent. They tell you how to connect the cable device and load the software, but not how to configure it or which choices to make and why. I had to read the product comments here on Amazon.com to even know there were TWO places to configure it. One source said to set the output video format to AVI which I did.

So trial and error found the two places to enter configuration choices.

One, you do a right click on the Ezgrabber icon on the PC desktop and there are settings there.

- Second, you must click the little gear wheel icon on the onscreen control graphic to enter settings.

- Look for another Video Capture software to grab and convert the incoming signal from the hardware cable and device.

More to come