Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

• Diary
  • Customer Reviews

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 122 reviews
on March 7, 2017
A brilliant masterpiece . A beautiful mix of hard rock , grunge , early emo and alterna-metal . One of my favorite albums of all time and I was very late to discover this band . Heard them on a local college radio station about 8 years ago and decided to give them a try and now I'm hooked ! Hard and heavy rock with balls ! Add it to your collection , now !
on March 26, 2017
A couple of the records were slightly warped but I Was able to flatten them out.
on July 23, 2003
This album isn't bad, but it's not great. It's pretty good alternative rock music, not quite what I had hoped for when I bought it... I was hoping for something just a tad bit more hard-edged. Not really my kind of music, but it's not bad. I suppose I can understand the good reviews, because as far as this style of music goes it's among the best I've heard. The song writing is very good, and the musicians are talented... I guess it's just a little boring to me. Sorry.
on January 1, 2016
CD sound quality is very low quality. Couple of great songs, but the best songs are the ones played on radio. Rest of CD is forgettable.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2004
Music without melody doesn't last.
In short order this cd will join
the growing trash heap of musical
history.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2009
In this age of digital downloads and MP4 magic, I was tempted to go with the download. I could not be happier that I spent the extra buck and went with the hard copy! The new packaging and booklet are worth the purchase alone, not to mention how much better everything sounds. These songs finally received the treatment they have deserved all these years.
I refuse to use the term EMO to describe this cd. Because EMO anymore implies some guy whining about his girl problems to a noisy guitar, or an acoustic guitar. This album is more than that. Although you can see why EMO borrowed from this record whole souled. And in case you are wondering what EMO is, it means emotional music.
It was released on May 10, 1994 and is the seventh best selling cd on Sub Pop records with over 231,000 copies sold.
Not really a success when viewed through big record producer specs. But at the same time a very moving and important record which changes most people who give it a chance. The songs are rocking and haunting somehow at the same time. This is for a fact indie music. Nothing is really radio friendly here. But still catchy somehow. The artwork in the album is amazing too.
100% worth buying the remastered version if you are a new fan. But what if you've been a fan for years? Is it worth if you have the cd already? Well, you get two bonus songs from the 7 inch vinyl "Thief, Steal me a Peach." And while "8" is already on "LP 2", this is a different version . Also "9" is cool. And believe it or not the cd sounds better now too. More clear and less muddied. Worth the moolah to me.
Whether a new or old fan, I endorse this cd. ;)
on May 28, 2013
Although I heard a lot of these songs separately and didn't particularly like all the songs, I thought that they might grow on me. I was mistaken. I'm not really a huge fan of this band, but I do like a few tracks on this album.
on January 27, 2002
This album, the first of four studio albums by this band is often sited as their best(although I like LP2 better). This album was recorded before Jeremy(the lead singer) found Jesus so the songs are in no way religious and aren't as spiritual. However, the songs are quite deep, they reflect a painful life. This pain is reflected in Jeremy's voice(the most appealing part of this band) which alternates between a low singing voice and Higher pitched sreaming voice (At times he strains his voice so much it sounds like he's whining). The song lyrics are almost intirely about bad past experiences(espeically girls), and the music is a mix between dissent emo and Seattle grunge. This band is from Seattle, so their grunge influence is noticable, but don't be turned off from the music because of that. Their grunge influence is not overpowering, in fact its more of a compliment to their music.
on August 23, 2007
Took a LONG time to grow on me but absolutely love this album...from beginning to end. I call this an album because the songs sound like they belong together...it just flows. Seems to me that nowadays most cds sound more like collections of songs rather than albums. It's refreshing to enjoy the entire package.

I really don't know how to categorize it...I see people calling it emo...I know emo...folks, this aint emo....yes, it has the languid vocal style that often characterizes emo...but that's where it ends... the layered guitars and drums are absolutlely driven. I hate to say this because I hate metal...but, god forbid, at times, it's more metal than emo. It's like metal's tolerable cousin...possibly the black sheep of the metal family ; )

I have other SDR albums...but this one seems to be the pick of the litter!

Bonus...it's also great music to workout/run to!