Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

My 6 year old son began reading "Wimpy Kid" books just as he was learning to read. Many times I would allow him to read before bed and would hear him laughing hysterically in his room. Now, 7 years old, he has read all of them and often will pick them up and read them again. They are silly, but the appeal to his age demographic was actually amazing to me. I didn't have to make him read... he wanted to read. And he loved them all. I would recommend the entire series to any parent of a child who is learning and becoming comfortable with reading comprehension.
on December 18, 2015
This particular purchase was a gift for a friends son, but I still have my 12 year olds sons book from 4 years ago. It's full of stories to be completed by your child and so funny to look back on when they're older. The hardback is very durable, has held up through a crazy (now 12 years old, as the photo shows:) ) boys toting it around and a move. I'll be holding on to this forever.
review image
0Comment| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 2, 2017
I was very excited when I got the package because my kids love this series and I wanted them to own the books instead of borrowing them. I loved the idea of gifting them a collectible boxed set to keep them neatly displayed and easy to find. Unfortunately I received 10 books inside an opened shrink wrap and no collectible box. I also noticed that the 10th book was different from what is pictured. It came with "old school" instead of "do it yourself book". So keep these things in mind. You may not get the collectible box for the boxed set and you may not get the same books as you expect. Disappointed.
review image
11 comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 5, 2018
Reading is getting so lost today and being replaced with gaming, laptops, IPods, Iphones, Wii the list goes on. I believe getting into books for the joy of it lets you build imagination at all ages. We got these books for my 11 year old God child and she loves them. These books have inspired her to move onto other books, this book set is great as a unisex read too, my little brother loves them too we would read every night I read a page and then he reads a page. TIP - NEVER EVER use reading as a punishment! They are safe fun books for all ages.
on July 7, 2017
I am 11 years old and I have been reading this series over and over for 4 years! However they are not a challenge or a deep read they are just clever and happy. I chose to write a review on this one because it is my favorite but that applies to all the books. I was lucky enough to have the author visit my school 2 years ago and he said some people don't like his books because they are not deep enough. As much as reading a deep and challenging story is important what is wrong with something light and funny once and a while. I think that reading is reading and these books will put a smile on your face and there is nothing wrong with that, not only that, they very clever and they have a true story line aside to being silly! I highly recommend for kids 7-12 (or any age above 12 if you eat to read a good laugh out loud story) :) :) :)
on August 27, 2017
Jeff Kinney's Diary of a Wimpy Kid is nothing more than the days in the life of his main character, Greg. There's no real plot to speak of. Only Greg's day-to-day interactions, including minor conflicts that pop up and are resolved in a matter of pages, only for something new to come up. And yet, the descriptions of these conflicts and events, told with the aid of simple, yet unique, drawings, are very entertaining. Kinney writes with a dry, flat tone and simple style that make his jokes somehow funnier, and the drawings, too, are incredibly entertaining. There is not one dull page in this 200+ page first book, and in spite of myself I want to read more.

I think part of the appeal of these books is that they are not patronizing. Kinney is not trying to teach a lesson. He is merely trying to entertain. There is no big message, and yet it is filled with thematic value. Through Greg, Kinney has things to say about family, school, friendship, boredom, and just every day life, especially the life of a teenage boy, and it all feels real - it all feels like something that anyone can relate to. And it's refreshing that Kinney's tone lacks any cynicism or the sulkiness of many young adult books. Kinney portrays the negatives of life with a comedic silliness, as if to laugh off those little nuisances that a teenager like Greg might take seriously. It's nice when a book makes you feel like you can connect with the characters, feel that you're not alone, and then makes you realize that there are some things we shouldn't take so seriously about ourselves. Kinney does that here.

The comedy works largely because Kinney does not stray from his flat characters. There are no sudden changes in character, no moment when they suddenly realize they were wrong. Because, let's face it, people rarely realize or admit when they are wrong. And that's what makes Greg such a great character, though he doesn't have a whole lot of depth. Kinney portrays him as a self-centered teenager without disparaging said teenager. We can laugh at Greg's mistaken perspective as a flaw in his person and as a flaw in many young people (and sometimes not so young). For example, when Greg's grandmother's house is toilet papered, partly due to Greg's actions, he feels bad but decides that she probably doesn't mind because she's retired and has a lot of time on her hands anyway. Greg's logic makes sense, but a wise reader will realize that, retired or not, nobody wants to clean toilet paper off their home.

As funny as Greg's perspective is, the supporting characters help out a lot as well. Rowley, his best friend, the one Greg is embarrassed to admit as his best friend, is reliably nerdy, either taking things too seriously, or unable to control his laughter over childish jokes. Rodrick, Greg's older brother, is reliably rebellious. Manny, Greg's younger brother, always calls Greg "Bubby," a name he doesn't want his friends knowing, and also always gets whatever he wants, just like the youngest generally seems to. There is also Greg's mom, whose purpose in life is to embarrass her children, and Greg's father, who is pleased when Greg decides he wants to take up weightlifting. And this is but a small assortment of the many characters who make their way through this story. Everyone meanders into Greg's life, and his diary, occasionally and leave without explanation only to return again. And in the end it all feels just right.
on January 10, 2017
This is such a great series for children. My niece was so happy to get them, she's 10 and she read all 10 in 5 days. She ate them up, any book that can make a kid who has video games and a computer on hand choose it instead is worthy of buying.
on May 31, 2017
Getting me 9-year-old to read was harder than getting him to sit still at the dentist (no teeth pulled yet, or cavities, but you get the point!). He got one of these books and blew through it in a couple days, we got him the set and he literally couldn't put it down until he finished, he even read them more than once! He met and surpassed his reading goal on his own with no pressure from us for the first time. Thanks, Mr. Kinney, now my boy loves books!
on December 19, 2016
Very popular book for two of my kids. My 15 year old wanted this set when he was in the third grade and now my daughter who is a 3rd grader wants these as well. My son was very behind in reading and these kept his attention and had enough drawings to keep him interested. My daughter is an A/B Honor roll student who enjoys reading and these keep her attention as well. Cute, funny stories that are pretty age appropriate; although reading then as a mother...I do catch some words like stupid, etc.... that I don't care for. I'm willing to let that slide - just to make sure my children are reading..... as opposed to being illiterate. Nice boxed, hardcover set...maybe they will last until the 4 year old is in the 3rd grade!?!? :-) A little overpriced around the holidays but worth it in the whole scheme of things. I'd rather buy pricey books that other junky toys!