Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 16, 2012
I started using the software to transcribe a lot of interviews I have done recently for my research. I was skeptical when I first purchased due to many of the negative comments on other Dragon Mac software. I can speak for this product and say that I think it has worked remarkably well. I have been using the headset that comes with the software and dictating directly into MS Word on my Mac. The software recognizes my speech easily (after some very brief training) and dictates fluidly. The voice commands I have tried work really well also. As to be expected, some abnormal proper nouns get missed but can easily be edited right away or on a later edit. I'm not sure what more one could expect from the software. For my purposes, it has been great.

Let me know if you have any questions.
on December 10, 2012
Okay, I'm using the software now to write my review. You can judge whether it is accurately recording my voice. I will put the corrections in parentheses.

I think the program is actually really good. I have used it to write a few papers so far. My only complaint is that sometimes the cursor moves to Orlando (a random) place while I am talking and then I have to go back and delete what I said because I don't really know we're(where) it made the mistake. This can be especially annoying when I'm reading a big block text from a book. I find that I have to look up at the text every few sentences to make sure the cursor hasn't jumped to a random place on the page.

I've also use (used) the program to type my hand written class notes. I think it is a real timesaver. This is beneficial for people who have issues with typing - whether you have a physical hindrance or you are a person who types slow. Overall, I would recommend buying this program. I think the glitches can be fixed over time. I just need to take the time to read the entire manual. Hope this review helps you in making a decision on whether to make a purchase. This is a great price if you are a student or teacher.

As for the previous negative review, if you look at the details on the product, it definitely states that you must be a student or teacher - that's why it is called the student/teacher edition. The price discount is made for people who fit those two categories so do not purchase this product if you do not qualify as either one. Unless you know someone who will allow you to use their school email address to authenticate the purchase, you will not be able to use this version. (However, I do not condone such unethical practices).

FYI, I have a brand-new MacBook Pro (purchased in November) so this may be why I haven't had too many system problems.
on May 5, 2013
The Mac version is adequate for short documents for business, but for any sort of creative writing it is abysmal. May the gods help you if you have to stop working on a document and come back to it later. Editing a pre-existing document is a nightmare, an exercise in endless frustration. While the software incorporates features that are supposed to handle this situation, they don't work very well in this version. If you ever get frustrated and enter so much as a single character from the keyboard, the program can no longer reliably find locations in the document. It appears that the software keeps track of its position by counting characters or words, so if you add a character or word manually, or delete one, it can no longer go to where you tell it. Supposedly, there is a feature to deal with this situation, but it is poorly implemented in this version.

Bottom line: unless you are desperate, wait for version 12. That's the number of versions Windows users tell me were necessary to get a good application.

And technical support is poor.
on December 24, 2013
I purchased this product to help me with writing papers and discussion board posts. As a graduate student, I need to make sure my papers are the proper length and my discussion boards are as well. The commercials and advertisements would have you believe this is a fantastic product. To a certain extent, it's okay. When it's freshly trained, and so on it's different. It is actually accurate. However it always seems inevitable sometime during the course of the semester somewhere around the middle of the semester it seems to lose the ability to maintain accuracy. It quits when it wants to and will open up an email to send to the bugs@macspeech.com. I am fairly certain that email address is a black hole, because I never can seem to find any information or any update to remedy the problems I have with DragonDictate. Customer service is not much help either. They don't seem to update Dragon Dictate as often as they do Dragon Speak Naturally. It would help if they made the dragon speak naturally program available tonight users as well. This difference in using Dictate over Speak Naturally means less attention is paid to Dictate. Its unfortunate because a program usable on both systems would remedy this issue.
on October 11, 2013
I have a feeling I will not be using this product, so over $100 wasted. The difficulty of learning to speak all the punctuation is just a bit much for me. I thought I would be able to speak normally. But having to say cap, comma, period, and all that is just not a natural way to speak. And it seemed like the only words the program would understand from me, were the ones written for me to say to set it up, since it was looking for those words to be spoken. As soon as I was speaking off the script, it did not seem to understand anything I was saying.
on December 19, 2013
I found this soft ware to unusable. It's advertising was not clear as to the meaning of student. And the requirements nuance makes for it. That being, you need a valid Student ID or Teaching Certificate. The initial advertising does NOT tell the buyer this. You find this out after you have purchased the product. And opened the box. At that point it is too late. The soft ware package has a letter with an identification number. It then asks you produce there required afore mentioned proof. If you have there required proof? Then they will send you a code to access what you paid for. As I have found out, is not returnable. It is in fact unusable, useless and a loss the purchaser. If you do not have there required proof. Buyer beware. Caveat Emptor! Do you want to loose $116.47??
on February 6, 2013
Activation process is out of the orderly. Company asks for very detailed personal information and photocopy of the student ID before supplying activation code for the software that you pay for! They let you use it for 5 times before you have to provide activation code, so I did, and it was nothing as advertised. Number of mistakes with dictation is astronomical. More work than just typing because you will need to correct all the mistakes that software makes by hand. Don't waste your money. Most likely you will be returning the product and paying for the shipping.
on July 17, 2013
After many times trying to train this stuff, it still had a heck of a time with characters popping up in front of the curser which made no sense. Checked out the web forums and apparently it's a pretty popular issue.
It only seemed to work well in a generic text file but not good with Googledocs, Openoffice. A little better in MS Word but not by much.
on January 2, 2013
The performance of this version is much better then the older windows version of dragon I was using on Windows. There is still the occasional word I need to "teach it", but works better than the last one out of the box.
on October 2, 2013
I love this product so much. I wish I didn't have to go to a cousins house to download it on my mac book air. CD-Rom required. Should have been on the box. It does make writing papers so much faster and easier to edit because as you speak it types. This product for me gets 5 stars.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.