Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 36 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 60 reviews
on February 14, 2010
I like maps as part of a fictional story. This is what attracted me to the title initially. A map is a window into the story's world, and its secrets. A well developed, richly detailed story can be a map in and of itself because I create the map in my imagination. This book collects other worlds past writers have written about -- many times obsure -- and tells of them. It has many maps of these worlds, too (all b/w). It is sort of like a travel book (as one reviewer wrote) and the reader (me, you) are being spoken to as if the worlds are real and present, and that if we were to visit them... What's real and what's not? Very fun! It is also a fantastic stimulator of imagination - because of the so many worlds described. The creativity of the writers (I'm referring to the original writers/creators of the worlds described, and who are cited on every entry) is easy to access with the dictionary approach to this book, as it uses alphabetized brief entries (quarter/half page to several pages). Want to write fantasy or science fiction? See in your imagination some of the incredible worlds others have created. And many were created so long ago! Some reviewers felt that some prominant worlds were left out -- I'm OK with this because it allowed for many others to be included to which I never would have had access. I am a tough rater. I gave this thick book 4 stars only because I would like included more maps - I love maps (there are a lot already in the book!) and illustrations. Otherwise, it is a 5.
on May 18, 2015
All these ratings, (i.e., How would you describe the plot of this book? Which of these words best describes the mood? How would you describe the pace? How would you describe the characters?), are completely and totally irrelevant. This is not a novel. I got the original hardbound edition for my sister, forty years ago. It was her favourite gift that Christmas. 'Though I do wish that this beguiling treasure trove had entries for Frank Herbert's Dune, Katherine Kurtz MacMillan's Deryni and Patricia A McKillip's Riddle Master works.
on June 28, 2016
This is a reference book about literary places. Manguel never disappoints and this is yet another literate exploration of a subject you didn't know you were interested in until you pick up this hefty well written encyclopedia of imaginary geography. A perfect addition to the bookshelf of anyone who ever believed in Wonderland.
on December 8, 2012
Don't bother if you are not into Fantasy. If you have read as much as I have then this is just fun ! A whole map of the land of OZ ! Fun ! A lot of info here from the most popular Fantasy novels from all ages. Of course it cannot be comprehensive, that would take several volumes, but this is at least a great start. References to authors that go back over 300 years.
on October 18, 2016
I love this book! It has full descriptions and sometimes maps of places you wish you could visit in real life!
on March 3, 2016
What a wonderful book to escape into. I'm grateful that there are people out there who have that kind of imagination to create such a book
on August 22, 2017
Exactly what I wanted...and in beautiful shape!
on March 20, 2006
I got this book when I was bed-ridden with the flu to help me cope with the days and nights of dizzy spells and the blahs. It not only got me through the ordeal but still serves me well when I want to take an imaginary trip to "Neverland", meaning the realms of childhood and adulthood wonderment. The book doesn't include places that might occupy corners of our own dreary work-a-day world, but those "over the rainbow" places created by talented fabulists who take their readers on magical journeys. Not all the places are pleasant.They are not necessarily utopias. Some of the places are those you might have visited in a nightmare. But they are nonetheless places to which you may want to travel...or revisit, if you've read the stories using the places as a setting. In some cases, it may motivate the browser to read the works from which the descriptions are derived. From the quasi-mathematical vistas of Flatland to the dreamscapes of Windsor Mackay's Slumberland, this travelogue will provide the armchair voyager with many hours of pleasure.
on August 4, 2016
Such a great resource.
on January 27, 2017
I like reading about all of these imaginary places invented. I'm an aspiring fantasy novelist, and these places are excellent sources of inspiration. Of course, some of them aren't in the public domain yet, but most of them are.