Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums STEM Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 6, 2008
This book has a lot of research behind it. Read it before going to the market or dining out. It lists hundreds of items you are likely to find in any shop having to do with food.

I was surprised by many of foods I thought were healthy. If you're wondering why the weight won't go away, check this book out. It will give you the lowdown on just about everything you eat.
on April 13, 2015
great book, helped me lose 80 lbs an learned more on food values..
on November 13, 2013
This is a very good quick search manual. It is not all encompassing, however it is very good overall. Good buy for the money.
on April 30, 2009
I thought this book would help me make good food choices but I thought the alternatives listed were quite limited. I felt more like I couldn't eat anything rather than I could eat smart. I know there are smart Mexican food choices but this author didn't seem aware of any. I did, however, find sugar free fudgesicles so I think the book paid off in that regard.
on February 18, 2009
The book reads like a text book. It has good information, but I feel like it needs a professor to go along with it to explain the daily application. The book is good if you have time to go through each chapter line by line. If you're busy, on the go, and are just trying to learn the information quickly - for quick application, this is NOT the book for you!!
on April 26, 2009
Some of this was simply a great refresher...and some of it was surprise...surprise...surprise!!! Worthwhile to be sure.
on April 30, 2009
In several places, the author advises dieting consumers to tell outright lies to servers and chefs when dining out in order to manipulate the kitchen into special treatment. As both a restaurateur and a diet conscious consumer, I'm convinced these suggestions are counterproductive for both the diner and the restaurant industry. Very bad suggestions in an otherwise adequate book!

Rather than telling untruths and claiming allergies and other health issues that you don't have (and the server often immediately understands the deception ... never underestimate the intelligence of your server) just be forthright and you stand a much better chance of getting what you want. We often deal with real problems like peanut allergies and allergic reactions to some seafood, and understand the attendant health risks. But we know when you tell us that "I'm allergic fat" that it's a lie. I don't eat white flour, white rice, or sugars and when dining out I immediately let the server know that I have "dietary concerns" or "there are ingredients I don`t eat". That's all it takes. I'm honest and get what I want and the restaurant isn't insulted with sleazy behavior from a customer.

If you expect a restaurant to deal fairly and treat you respectfully as a customer, ethics and common sense demand that you treat them the same way. In this, the author does a disservice to all of us by advocating deceit and setting up an adversarial situation when cooperation is the goal.
on April 13, 2008
This is a handy book, and in Kindle format even more so. I carry my Kindle in my bag, so this book, among others is always with me. Since I eat out a lot that is very handy. The Kindle is lighter and thinner the the print edition of the book, so this is one book that becomes more useful because it is on Kindle. It has information of grocery store products and a huge number and variety of resturants. If the resturant you go to isn't listed one with very similar is, and it isn't difficult to translate the ideas of nutritional info from resturant to the other. I do a quick look up in the car before I go in, or at the table sometimes, and I have the info for a good choice. The Kindle edition is well formatted, the graphs are big enough to read, and the links work.
One of the most pratical Kindle purchases I've made.
33 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 11, 2009
I got two of these books based on previous reviews. I also got the entire Eat This Not That book series (very good). The Diet Detective is like a novel and there is really nothing to keep you interested in coming back. To be fair, I haven't even read the book to give a precise review but the fact that I haven't read it should give you an idea how uninteresting it is. I would have returned them both but by the time I paid for shipping it would have been a waste. I found this true on another item that I ordered. So I am just thankful that I got free shipping on delivery on a few things this holiday season.
on June 11, 2008
I enjoyed this book so well that I ended up giving my aunt a copy. It is informative and very interesting. Foods are described from many restaurants found all over.