Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen
Customer Discussions > Death Magnetic forum

Digipak CD version vs. Jewel Case CD version?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 12, 2008, 7:03:45 PM PDT
Alex Faber says:
I was in FYE today and saw two different versions of the CD: one was in a standard jewel case, and the other was in a digipak/paperboard case. They both seemed to contain the same song list, and the digipak didn't appear to have any additional features, but was a few dollars more. I wonder if this was due to the packaging being more expensive to produce or to market it as a rare item.

Does anyone have any idea what distinguishes these two releases aside from the obvious?

Many thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2008, 8:49:32 PM PDT
Michael says:
Never saw a jewel case version, every place I've gone to had the album in a digipak.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2008, 10:18:24 PM PDT
James Young says:
The guys at Best Buy told me they are the same, just different packaging. Also both versions cost the same at Best Buy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2008, 6:36:38 AM PDT
One question... is this 8.99 version in amazon the digipack or jewel case version? i want digipack...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2008, 9:33:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2008, 9:33:56 AM PDT
C. Coronel

The 8.99 version on amazon is the digipack, that's the one I had preordered. I just got it yesterday. I'm disapointed with the digipak design and booklet There's a cutout in the pages in the shape of a coffin and so you don't get the complete lyrics to each song. wish that the design was different. but the cd is awesome

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2008, 10:17:05 AM PDT
H. Yu says:
I got the digipack version yesterday. Is there a cutout in the pages for the jewel case version? Just curious. If not, then I'm disappointed in not getting the complete lyrics to all the songs for the version I got. Otherwise, the music's great!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2008, 11:55:56 AM PDT
The jewel case version has the same booklet with the cutout - annoying...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2008, 8:47:00 PM PDT
Renfield says:
They're both the same thing. Just different cases. I have the digipak version though, as the store I went to had only digipak copies. They did have jewel cases of St. Anus though.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2008, 5:31:32 AM PDT
David says:
I think Amazon should note weather a cd is a jewel case or digipack. I got the digipak from Amazon and I'd rather have the jewel case edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2008, 3:28:48 PM PDT
i bought the jewel case from a local store today and it has the full lyrics

Posted on May 1, 2009, 3:20:37 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 13, 2014, 11:16:31 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2009, 12:37:48 PM PDT
Too bad digipacks damage easily and become frail after a year or two of wear and tear. At least with a jewel case, you can replace any part of it. If your digipack loses the little spokes that hold a CD, then you're screwed.

Posted on Feb 25, 2011, 5:11:15 PM PST
Michael says:
I HATE digipack. I collect CD's of my favortie Artists and digipacks are crap next to jewel cases. They break easy and the carboard fades/bends. There should be an option to buy it in a jewel case or digipack format

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2011, 8:56:52 PM PDT
Yu, you problably did not follow the directions, margins are very important in digipack if you are the one making the art but if you make someone else do it, they did not do a good job. I got a pro to do mine and is beatiful. Hope this help good luck to you YU.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2011, 8:58:34 PM PDT
The only good thing about the digipack is that if somebody seats on it, it wont break in pieces.

Posted on Apr 6, 2011, 9:05:09 PM PDT
The best thing to keep your cd case in shape is to put it away and put the cd in a another case, even better, copy the cd and put your original cd with case away in a need box in your closet or garage in a dry place and pulled out just to re-copy or to look at the art, you will have no problem for years and years to come. Trust me, I`m a collector.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012, 5:49:23 PM PST
CD digipacks are more expensive to print and manufacture. All that card stock and glue. CD jewel cases are plastic. CD Digpack packaging is pretty cool. They offer something a little different than CD Jewel cases

Posted on May 15, 2012, 8:49:41 AM PDT
My understanding is that there is a copyright or patent in effect on the digipak design, which requires a fee for each one manufactured. this in essence accounts for the cost difference. If this is true, then it is but one more example of the absurdity of a world that values the presentation over the content.

Posted on May 15, 2012, 9:22:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012, 9:23:25 AM PDT
This use to be true. It was owned by a company called Ross ellis. It has now expired. They had a 10 year pattern over the digipack design. it kind of makes sense. They did invent it and its not cheap i tell you

james
James@unifiedmanufacturing.com
www.unifiedmanufacturing.com

Posted on May 15, 2012, 9:40:49 AM PDT
Thanks for the updated info. I agree that they are entitled to be compensated for their invention. And it is good to know that the patent has expired (or they let it lapse). Though I do find it ironic that it was/is more acceptable in many circles to pay for the digipak design patent than for the copyright of the actual music contained on many c.d.s packaged in a digipak.

Posted on Jul 28, 2012, 7:40:40 AM PDT
M. Judkins says:
I much prefer digipaks and loath jewel cases! However you should always purchase resealable plastic sleeves for digipaks to protect them from dust, abrasion, etc. Plastic sleeves keep them looking pristine.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013, 11:20:25 AM PDT
Pen Name says:
Weather? Wow. That's embarrassing.

Posted on Mar 20, 2015, 2:48:40 PM PDT
I agree with someone else on here... I HATE digipacks. They're absolutely pointless & they do cost more to manufacture so why would recording companies opt for them? Even though they cost more to make, to me they just look cheap & stupid. They're a different size than all my normal CDs & they are ridiculously fragile. I have a collection of 1200+ CDs & there are a few albums I have that are extremely rare so I don't want to do away with them but they were only issued on these paper monstrosities & it irks me every time I look at them next to the other CDs in my collection lol.

I also agree with another person on here... Amazon listen up! You need to note in a listing whether or not a copy of a cd that's being sold is in a jewel box or a digipack. It's gotten to the point that I'm about to never order any CDs on Amazon anymore due to having to exchange them out with sellers & having to deal with Amazon's ridiculously stupid exchange policy.

Whew I feel better getting all that off my chest! lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2016, 7:41:47 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 12, 2016, 7:47:37 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Death Magnetic forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Sep 12, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 12, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about
Death Magnetic
Death Magnetic by Metallica (Audio CD - 2008)
4.0 out of 5 stars (1,177)