Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$7.87+ $3.99 shipping

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 6 reviews
on January 4, 2013
I read the reviews, and to my chagrin, believed the effusive claim that "Once you've read this you'll know everything you need to know to make black and white digital images." Not actually a direct quote, but it's got the flavor of the advertising and the back cover.
Once it arrived, I eagerly attacked the opportunity to have the secrets of B&W digital image revealed. As a traditional "wet process" photographer with over 50 years experience, I skimmed the chapters on exposure, composition, visualizing in B&W, and really wanted to dig-in to the details in the digital image manipulation. I shoot in RAW mode, based on previous knowledge, and was expecting to find some detailed step-by-step examples of image management and manipulation, as well as the rationale for the steps and approach used. Well, they don't exist! The books tips and techniques are couched in generalities.
Only after working my way through the entire book - not that hard considering it's only 140+ pages - did I read on the back cover that the target audience is beginner - intermediate. Something that Amazon should point out. Had I known that I would never have bought the book to begin with. But frankly, if you're a beginning photographer, the early chapters on exposure, composition, etc., only scratch the surface, and if you really want to come away knowing HOW to accomplish something, along with the WHY, you will be disappointed.

Based on this one experience, I am now avoiding any of this author's titles. After much time spent searching the web, I've begun to assemble the knowledge I seek to effectively marry the power of my Canon 40D EOS with Photoshop, and am beginning to achieve my goals of making good B&W images from both the camera and my scanned slides and negatives.

Bob
on June 12, 2010
Beardsworth's book moves you through a variety of ways to achieve fine art black and white images as well as a smathering of other techniques using Photoshop. His directions and tips are easy to understand without having to wade through a lot of jargon. He also simply defines many terms with examples. I found this book inspirational and a help in the technical aspects of creating not-your-run-of-the-mill photographs.
on February 10, 2012
This book inspired me to try new techniques and I have been very encouraged with the results. I found the book very easy to understand and I have read it twice. I highly recommend it to others.
on August 5, 2016