Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 33 reviews
on February 26, 2017
Albeit the overwhelming positive reviews, I do not consider this book good.

Through this book I can see the wideness of the knowledge of the authors, however, this book covers just too much aspects, which makes each topic unacceptably shallow. After reading this book, without reading tens of books that explicitly or implicitly referenced inside, you will feel yourself knows many things, but in fact for most things you can do nothing but name them. It does not help much if you want to really learn something deep.

Also, the authors writing style is kind loose. Just as I randomly scanning this book, look this paragraph "Microsoft states that the FAT32 file system can support disk up to 2Tb, but that Windows 2000 only supports partitions up to 32 GB. Using 4KB cluster, FAT32 users space more effciently; cluster size can range from 512 to 32 KB. The primary different between FAT16 and FAT32 is the logical partition size." I don't consider this a good scientific writing. From this paragraph, what would you learn, except some mere thin facts? I don't know why W2000 only support 32GB. I do not understand why using 4KB is "more efficient", and I do not know what is the difference in "partition size" between FAT16 and FAT32.

I feel this book is kind of fits in the "for dummy" series. It does provide a variety of information, but each aspect are so simple that you can't really learn something deeper. And for me, memorizing based on understanding, and thus there will very little reside in your brain after you reading this book.
on February 19, 2016
Awesome product. Came on time and I loved it so much. Works till today.
on October 25, 2015
good educational and reference manual, overpriced but when you need it, you buy it.
on April 18, 2015
Got it
on May 26, 2014
It has some good information on open source tools and where to get them. It was required for the class which is why I purchased it.
on May 23, 2014
Open source tools are free and great. The argument is often made that they are not vetted for court room use, but most of the forensics performed never reach the court room. This book and a Linux machine will get the job done.
on November 29, 2013
The book is not what I expected. There were not many sources of Open Source Tools. I was not allowed to return the book.
on September 17, 2013
Cory and Harlan are two names in the digital forensics community that you can always trust to bring you great material. This book is packed full of resources for a wide variety of uses. What I love most about the book is that pros are able to learn new methods and tools from it while students are able to easily pick up the book and get started. This is one of those books that I truly feel is perfectly tied to a quote made famous by Isaac Newton "If I have seen further it is by standing on (the) shoulders of Giants." Everyone can easily learn an enormous amount from these two authors and their career long adventures and experiences with digital forensics.

I teach digital forensic classes at the grad school level and also at a non-profit; in both classes to students of a wide range of skills I always recommend this book as a must read. It has something for everyone.
on December 8, 2012
I'm still in the process of reading this book have a chapter left to go. It is very informative and walks you through the processes of forensics. It is an excellent addition to any forensic library.
on December 2, 2012
This book was a very good read and had tons of information on open source tools. My only complaint is that is contained information on deprecated tools such as pyflag. I find it very irresponsible to recommend software in the Linux community that is no longer being actively maintained.